Beginners and Beyond

Penguins 2 Different Colored Shoes (Tues)Day (Read 16 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning Pens and others.  5 later this morning.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Pilates tonight. I can run but this cough makes me wonder if I'm catching a cold, so I'll wait until tomorrow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all.  I'm supposed to have a webinar in 7 minutes, but since the company hasn't contacted me, I'm not sure what's going on.  Anyway, it's another rainy day here in Penguinland.  Still no word from the appraiser, although I emailed them to fuss.  I'm wondering if this is "retaliation" for not taking it to their suggested body shop.  Which is illegal, but I doubt they care.

Jerryb -- have a good 5 later!!

Docket -- hope you're staying healthy, enjoy Pilates!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

HsM- That is super lame about the appraiser!  Sounds expensive to be waiting for them, too.

Morning, Jerry!

D- Hope you don't get sick!

I ran with the Monday group for the first time in a while last night.  There is a group of beginning trail runners who has been coming, so I had company even though I was taking it easy mileage and pace wise.  Good thing, because our first like was something like a 9% grade.   It was good to be out around people again.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jerry, have a good 5.

Damaris, feel better.

Hopesmom, good luck with the car.

No running for me yesterday or today, although I did go to the gym yesterday for an upper-body workout.  I actually feel pretty good; no problem going up & down stairs.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good morning Penguins!

Jerry, have a good 5.

Damaris, feel better.

Hopesmom, good luck with the car.

No running for me yesterday or today, although I did go to the gym yesterday for an upper-body workout.  I actually feel pretty good; no problem going up & down stairs.

Impressive and congrats!

GinnyinPA

Bri - sounds like your recovery is starting well. I had a real problem with stairs after my first, but not on my second. Of course, I walked a lot more on the second, which probably helped.

Jerry - enjoy your five.

D - I hope this is just allergies, not another cold.  You've been sick a lot this year.  Overtraining?  I know getting sick post marathon is pretty common, but as many as you do, that shouldn't be a problem.

HopesMom - how frustrating that they are taking so long to deal with your car.  Are they paying for a rental while they screw around?

Z - it's funny how a 10% grade when hiking is easy, but the same grade when running is a killer.  Nice that you can do some trail training with a group though. Our local trail runners are so much faster than I that I've never even tried to go with them. (i.e. 8 mm).

Jack - did you ever do a RR for your HM?  How did it go?

AFM:  another gray day here, with showers forecast.  I'm not sure whether I'll wait to do four with the beer runners this evening or take advantage of a break in the rain this afternoon.

Docket_Rocket

Bri - sounds like your recovery is starting well. I had a real problem with stairs after my first, but not on my second. Of course, I walked a lot more on the second, which probably helped.

Jerry - enjoy your five.

D - I hope this is just allergies, not another cold.  You've been sick a lot this year.  Overtraining?  I know getting sick post marathon is pretty common, but as many as you do, that shouldn't be a problem.

HopesMom - how frustrating that they are taking so long to deal with your car.  Are they paying for a rental while they screw around?

Z - it's funny how a 10% grade when hiking is easy, but the same grade when running is a killer.  Nice that you can do some trail training with a group though. Our local trail runners are so much faster than I that I've never even tried to go with them. (i.e. 8 mm).

Jack - did you ever do a RR for your HM?  How did it go?

AFM:  another gray day here, with showers forecast.  I'm not sure whether I'll wait to do four with the beer runners this evening or take advantage of a break in the rain this afternoon.

Mostly the environment here. My asthma and allergies are not doing well so I get both symptoms a lot. I don't thinkit's a cold cause it's been two days and it would have gotten worse but I don't want to risk it.

And people with asthma have lower resistance and immune systems so they get sick a lot. Tehnically, I should be getting sick more often than I already do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: I didn't do an RR. I just don't have time, it seems.  I ran a 1:39:03 on a hilly course. I was hoping for a 1:35 but the hills got me. Plus we had to run by the finish, uphill, for another mile and then turn around for a downhill finish.

GinnyinPA

Ginny: I didn't do an RR. I just don't have time, it seems.  I ran a 1:39:03 on a hilly course. I was hoping for a 1:35 but the hills got me. Plus we had to run by the finish, uphill, for another mile and then turn around for a downhill finish.

That would really be demoralizing.  I've had a couple of late uphills and they really suck. Still, you did great at 1:39.  What's next?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

That would really be demoralizing.  I've had a couple of late uphills and they really suck. Still, you did great at 1:39.  What's next?

A 5k in July. If I can train for it I am trying for a sub 20.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yes, $20 per day.  About half the actual cost.    But they said their person is set to look over all the information today, and it may be a total loss (which is not a surprise).  I still have hope that we'll have everything settled by the weekend.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5.6 w/DW.  Short sleeve day Smile

Looks like my 2004 Trailblazer and Sienna will be traded in for nothing with all the work they need. Hope I don't have to actually pay them to take them both off my hands.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi Pens!

I ran 4.7 somewhat misty miles.  I am actually enjoying the mist.  Maybe I'd like Seattle weather :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)