Beginners and Beyond

A Penguin in Paris fin de semaine (Read 39 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Good luck D and all the other runners this weekend.

I've got the Victory Over Violence 5k this morning.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Bon Jour !!!

LR when it warms up and DW (birthday girl) wakes up.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks!  My bib # is in my picture in FB. We'll

see what kind of day I will have tomorrow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

PAD - I hope the 5k was fun.

Jerry - Happy Birthday to Mrs. Jerry.  Enjoy her celebration day and your long run.

D - Bonsoir!  Good luck tomorrow.

Baconista - from yesterday, I'm really glad that the damage to your eyes isn't permanent.  Patience is hard, but at least you know there's an end to it.

AFM:  The sun is shining.  I've got a short run at MP on tap for this afternoon.

Brilliant

Bonjour, beaux pingouins!

Damaris, I dreamed last night that I was a spectator in Paris.  Maybe I shouldn't look at FB right before bed. Big grin

PAD, good luck!

Jerry, have a nice LR.

Ginny, I hope your MP run is terrific.

Baconista - HURRAY for yesterday's news!!

6.5 hilly miles done this morning.

Bonjour mes amis! Comment êtes-vous? Je vais bien. Je rentre tout juste d'une belle Five Mile exécuter. J'ai une journée très chargée (encore une fois) avec une décote puis off sur la moto avec mon cher mari de super bonnes les côtes levées sur barbecue dans le Kansas campagne.

Je ne pense à vous à Paris. Bonne chance sur votre race, Damaris.

Bien que j'ai pris des cours de français bien au collège, j'ai oublié tout cela. Vous pouvez tout trouver sur l'internet, y compris un traducteur français. Tee-hee! 

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Perfect day and 9 perfect miles.

Kathleen, you can lead a penguin trip to Paris for next year's race.

Zelanie

Good luck, D!

I ran a 5k today. 25:55 but it felt as hard as last time. I am thinking the course was short last time. Or the headwind in the firsr half was the killer today. In any case, my last mile was my fastest, so that was good. I had nothing to hold off the kick of the lady who was just out running before heading to Boston. But she was probably just jogging, right?

GinnyinPA

Kathleen - vous parlez bien le francais.

Z - having your last mile be the fastest means either you started too slow or you have good endurance - or both.

My MP run turned into a slow trail run, that ended up longer than intended.  It was a lovely day, so Jim and I took Ben out to a ski trail in the state forest.  The plan was I would run a 3 mile loop, then go back and meet them about a mile from the end.  We've done it before.  I got to the four mile mark, no JIm.  At the creek at 4.5 - still no sign of them. By mile five, I was getting worried.  Got almost back to the car and there they were.  Jim had made a wrong turn in the maze of forest roads and ended up bushwhacking back to the car.  Whew.  We went to Texas Roadhouse for a late lunch/early dinner.  Drinking beer after a six mile run with about 500' elevation gain tasted great, but it went down fast.

Zelanie

OK, I just got a free bib for the local HM tomorrow. Sounds like a nicer way to get the miles in than running by myself. I will likely do it as a MP run with my RP, but I am half tempted to race and see what I've got.

GinnyinPA

Z - have fun, whichever way you go.  You've kept your training up, so the distance should be easy, but running hard the day after a 5k will be a good challenge.

PADRunner

Always nice to have a supported long run Z. Good luck!

From the Internet.

Evening pens. Took 2 days off running to calm down my cranky shin, had a good long run today but now my left ignorant band is being ignorant again. Blech. Too many hills today. I'll maybe try a few flat miles tomorrow and see how it goes, along with PT exercises and foam rolling tonight for sure. 12.2 miles with some MP in the middle and then those hills at the end - nothing super steep but it was enough to screw up my form and tweak the IT band again. Last one was almost 3/4 of a mile climb.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Good luck D!  You must be nearing the end of the race by now :-)

Today I'm doing a NYRR 4 mile race.  I don't have high hopes for it as my run yesterday was painful (ankle) so I had to cut it short.  Yesterday after my run I managed to slip on a grape tomatoes at trader joe's and fall, landing with the brunt of the force on my right knee which now has a beautiful bruise.  I have a bit of post fall soreness so I'm going to try to actually do a real warmup/stretching today pre race and hope for the best.

In replies to questions in the previous thread about 9+1.  9+1 is how NYRR members can get guaranteed entry into the NYCM.  You have to be a NYRR member and run 9 of their qualifying races and do one volunteer shift.  I already did 9+1 last year to get into the 2015 marathon and I'm doing it again this year just in case I want to do NYCM again in 2016.  NYRR races are some of the cheapest around for me because many of them only cost me 18 dollars as a NYRR member while most other races in the area are $30 or $40+ even just for 5ks and 10ks.  Also NYRR is a nonprofit while the other major company that puts on races in the area (NYC Runs) is for profit.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)