Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

snip....... if you ever saw the angle at which my right leg is attached to my body, you'd understand why I have had problems with my right.........[edited] whole side!

+1

I have to dig out my spreadsheet with my list of complaints - including the range of nagging ones to sidelining ones....

Singer who runs a smidge

Runner's knee, both knees.  Sidelined more or less for the past year.  I've seen an orthopedic doc who gave me anti-inflammatories and exercises.  Both helped it to stop hurting, but didn't keep it from hurting when I tried to re-start running.  Now I'm doing some intentional strength training to see if that'll keep my stupid knees in line.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hip Redux

I have shitty knees too, Hopesmom - chondromalacia, patella alta - and the biggest thing for me was giving up wheat.   I can't remember a time when I had less knee pain.   I know it sounds crazy, but a lady at work also had the same benefit, so at least it's not just me being a whack job.

happylily

I ran through beginner's shin splints, a groin injury, a stroke recovery and a heart surgery recovery. All that was nothing compared to the stupid pain my right foot has been inflicting on me since June 1st. A possible stress fracture which has since healed through no running, plantar fasciitis which keeps my foot on fire even when I'm walking and a damaged heel fat pad which feels like a nail is being hammered through my heel everytime I take a step. Grrrr... Where is the return counter? I want another foot, this one is clearly defective.

The treatment so far: Zero running for 47 days, lots of ice cream (gained 8 lbs in the last 49 days), $500 worth of stupid physical therapy (didn't learn anything new, there), boring stretching exercises (I'm not the patient type), wearing the Strassburg sock every night (or how to look so not sexy when in bed...), icing (I detest cold) and lots of celebrex.

The result: I was able to run 7 miles yesterday, 9:00 pace and 8 miles today, 8:32 pace. It hurts, still, but my gait is back to normal. I have shin splints, as if the last 5 years of running didn't count. Plus, my cardio sucks and I breathe like a lama even at recovery pace. But I'm happy, because I'm running again (for now...).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Singer who runs a smidge

I have shitty knees too, Hopesmom - chondromalacia, patella alta - and the biggest thing for me was giving up wheat.   I can't remember a time when I had less knee pain.   I know it sounds crazy, but a lady at work also had the same benefit, so at least it's not just me being a whack job.

I've thought about this a fair bit.  I'm just not sure I'm ready to give up pasta ... and cookies ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Group hug. I'm sorry, you guys. Sad

#artbydmcbride

What I gained from this:

blah blah.........., lots of ice cream.........

blah blah.................But I'm happy, because I'm running again (for now...).    Big grin

Runners run

happylily

What I gained from this:

LOL...

Yes, a big group hug is in order! We all rock for being stubborn enough to want to come back to this crazy sport, injury after injury. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

Hope you guys get off the DL soon.

As far as knee issues, I had RK a few years ago, and went through PT etc. I used bands, and sleeves plus worked on strengthening my quads via weight machines. I haven't had knee issues since I started the machines.

RSX

What I gained from this:

What I gained from this is that there is an interesting cat fight backstory that I missed out on again.

LRB

Hip pain for about a month now. Very small ache, but flares up after a few miles, then its limping home.  Just walking last 2 weeks.  Went to Athletico PT for eval and they gave me exercises and reported to Dr.  PT thinks tendonitis, but was a little perplexed.  Seeing Dr. on Monday.  Doesn't get better with rest.  WTF?    Sad

I injured my hip last August and it still is not right.  I rested it for two weeks for one spell, and seven weeks for another and it still hurt when I resumed running. So I tried strengthening it over a four month period and can now kick a soccer ball right through a one inch thick plate glass window, but it still is not right.

A sports doc, a masseuse and three PT's could not figure it out.  I am now seeing a chiropractor who says my hip is so out of whack, it's a wonder I don't walk like George Jefferson.  Ironically, I was adjusted just last night but she claims it is going to be a process so we will see.

As for the pain itself, all the strengthening I did actually helped me to manage the pain, so there is value in doing that even if it does not cure your underlying problem.  As for finding that underlying problem, you just have to keep a positive outlook and hope that the next thing is the thing that cures it.  In the meantime, learn to manage it so you can at least run and enjoy it.  That is what I did.

Buelligan

Taking a few days off because of right knee issues.  Not looking good, though.

This always happens when I try to step the speed and mileage up.  This time it was just an 11 mile run.  10 miles, no issue... one extra mile and there's a problem all of sudden.

Buelligan

Lot of cat avatars I notice.

#artbydmcbride

What I gained from this is that there is an interesting cat fight backstory that I missed out on again.

No catfight...I am hoping to convince myself that eating lots of ice cream may cure my hamstring pain!  Big grin

Runners run

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If that is your hope.. you might want to put that ice cream container on your hamstring before eating any Smile

No catfight...I am hoping to convince myself that eating lots of ice cream may cure my hamstring pain!  Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)