Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Can't do it.  I tried it for a bit in the pool this morning after I finished swimming.  When you run, you push off with your toe.  The forward roll onto my toe is what aggravates it.

Yup, I tried it a couple of years back and made that mistake.  Made *huge* wake back and forth across the pool and managed to peel all the skin off my toes *all of them*.

Hip Redux

No, seriously, try the deep water version.  It is a tough workout with no pain while injured.  Assuming you aren't trying to do whatever you guys were doing

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

No, seriously, try the deep water version.  It is a tough workout with no pain while injured.  Assuming you aren't trying to do whatever you guys were doing

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

What happens in the pool....STAYS in the pool!!!

Randy

Singer who runs a smidge

OK.  Now that I looked it up I see what you are saying.  Oh well, I swam 30 minutes this morning and hit the cycle in the fitness center for 45 minutes this afternoon.  If I thought I was going to be laid up for a long time, I might invest in an aqua jogger.  As it is, I will hopefully be back to running in 2-3 weeks.  OTOH, I see article's point about being able to work hard nearly every time because it's zero impact.  I might look at getting one anyway for those days when I'm not injured but just "tweaked" enough to force me to take a few days off.  Hmmmm.

I'm not a doc, but that sounds awfully aggressive ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

bluerun

Super B****

I'm not a doc, but that sounds awfully aggressive ...

I'd concur with that... fractures (even stress fractures) generally take 6-8 weeks to heal.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

He drinks chocolate milk like it's going out of style though.

Singer who runs a smidge

So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong!! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

delicate flower

Today it was 33deg out the door for a 3.2 mile run.  First mile at 9:11, last one at 8:15.... opps... probably should slow down.  Got to use my new Garmin heart rate monitor from my birthday last week for the first time.  HR was up to 160 but it did not feel difficult.  No pain or soreness yet in the hammy, calves are tight but it did feel good to get the heart moving.  No wind, got to see the sun crest the trees and deep breathe the cool spring air #soblessed (lol).  As a treat to myself; today is the first day of sign-ups for the Philly 2014 event, I missed the discount for the first 1,000 runners (that sold out in 4 hours starting midnight) but will sign up this month and target for a 3:40 and a BQ.

fourouta, congrats on coming off the DL.  I know it's been a long recovery for you.  See you in Philly.  Wife and I already signed up.  She doing the HM, and I'm going for my first BQ (3:15).

<3

Love the Half

I am debating what to do about the Indy Mini.  I'm going to run it but I'm treating it as a fun run.  I'm going to stop at the biker bar and drink a beer, I'm going to do a cheer with at least one of the cheerleading groups at the track, I may sing a song with one of the awful garage bands they have along the route.  My dilemma is where to start.

I'm qualified for the first corral although I think I won't start there as I don't want to get in the way of folks who are taking it seriously.  I have given passing thought to starting in the very last corral and making an effort to be the very, very last person out of 35,000 across the start line and see how many I pass before the finish.  They're using wave starts at the Mini for the first time this year.  The first wave is Corrals A-E so I'm also thinking of starting in Corral F.  At that level, you're talking about mostly people finishing around 2:30 or slower.  Even a jog for me will finish in under 2:00 so if I start in Corral F, I won't have to weave in and out of folks and I won't be getting in the way of faster runners.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Hip Redux

If you start too far back, you'll be way annoyed with all the bobbing and weaving (ok, at least I would be).  Even F sounds too slow for you.   Though, I don't know how the hell you're going to run on a sfx!

I did 45 minutes water jogging today - my usual 6x5min "sprint", 1:30 rest between sets.    I don't know what it is about the pool but it makes me ravenous.

obiebyke

LTH, bummer! How the hell are you going to run that on a sfx? I'm with Oski. Wouldn't your doctor kick your butt?

I've been lazing it up. Wow. Depression, man. Winter. Ew. I just hate the gym. I HATE IT. I couldn't push myself to go there, even though I was approved to do 1:1 running/walking intervals for 20-30 minutes on a treadmill. I hate treadmills. And it all just fell apart. I stopped doing my PT exercises, going to PT, blerch.

Well, today at work, I just thought I have to change this. Running helps with my depression. If I want to get back to running, I need to do what I need to do, but I can still be me. I don't have to transform into a gym rat. And I need to look at this running thing as a lifelong thing, not a now now now thing.

So. It's warm. The sun is out. So let's start today. I downloaded a C25K app on my phone. And I went outside--gasp! not on a treadmill!--and did W3D1. And it was great! I think the chopat strap I wore actually changes my gait, so I'm going to trash that crap and just run without tape or anything. My knee was a little sore--I mean, I haven't been doing any of my PT--but my shin was totally fine. Totally fine. And I got home and did my PT exercises. And then I called my PT and left a voice mail asking if we could have a chat about what fell apart and what to do from here on out.

Tomorrow may be harder, but today was a start.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

obie, awesome job making a start!!  I totally understand about things falling apart ... consistency is not really my forte. 

Hip Redux

Tomorrow may be harder, but today was a start.

A start is all it takes!   And sometimes that's the hardest part.

obiebyke

Thanks guys! No soreness the day after, so I went back out for W3D2 today. This time I taped instead of using my pat strap, and that worked way better for me. Feels good to be back out there. I also scheduled another PT appointment for the 29th. Sounds from my PT's voicemail back to me that it's going to be hard to connect over the phone--she's busy working people out all day after all--so it's fine with me to check in then and tune things up. Finished with my PT exercises and I'm hitting a good groove with those. Yay!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)