Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

Regular yoga has been helping my knee pain tremendously.  DH and I are going to walk this week and then try to restart C25k next week.  I am cautiously optimistic ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Finally have to check in here. 

Hip Redux

JAY!

Piriformis still?

JAY!

Piriformis still?

That's what it seems most like, but temporary relief from rolling with the ball or doing stretches isn't providing lasting results.    I might have to actually go see a doc to rule out stress fracture / tendon issues or who knows what else.

Hip Redux

That's what it seems most like, but temporary relief from rolling with the ball or doing stretches isn't providing lasting results.    I might have to actually go see a doc to rule out stress fracture / tendon issues or who knows what else.

The SI joint can also cause issues in that area.  LRB dealt with that back in the fall.

What are your symptoms?  Mostly in the hip/glute area?

LRB

I was wondering about this thread a week or two ago, it has been awhile since its seen the main page.  Hope it's nothing too serious.

The SI joint can also cause issues in that area.  LRB dealt with that back in the fall.

What are your symptoms?  Mostly in the hip/glute area?

I originally thought it was a glute pull -- the pain was around the center of the butt cheek and varied between enough to cause a limp and barely any.

As of now, that actually feels a bit better, but there's also pain near the hip protrusion you can see in the lower back, which looks to be nearer the SI joint.  I'm taking a wild guess that limping caused the secondary aggravation.

The push-off of a stride hurts, not the heel strike/plant.  FWIW I'm on my feet at work for about 2/3 - 3/4 of each day.

LRB

As of now, that actually feels a bit better, but there's also pain near the hip protrusion you can see in the lower back, which looks to be nearer the SI joint.  I'm taking a wild guess that limping caused the secondary aggravation.

The push-off of a stride hurts, not the heel strike/plant.  FWIW I'm on my feet at work for about 2/3 - 3/4 of each day.

I have had those symptoms both when dealing with my stupid SI joint and without.  It is just really hard to say but it is good to have as much info as possible to bombard your sports doc with.

SlowNUnsteady

Sadly, I guess I belong on this thread now.  Somewhere around midnight one week ago, I was running my second leg of the Ragnar Trail Relay in the mountains of West Virginia.  There had been a freak storm and the course was coated in a layer of mud up to six inches or so deep, which rendered everything very treacherous because it was slick as snot.  I fell two or three times in the first half of the 7.4 mile leg, but it was nothing serious.  I was being very careful since it was so dark and pretty much walked any section that looked especially treacherous.  Unfortunately, in a relatively innocent looking stretch, my right foot found a spot where the ground was sloped at a steep angle and shot inward just as I transferred my weight to that leg and I went down in a heap, accompanied by a sickening cracking sound.  When I tried to stand up, I immediately crashed back to the ground.  I wasn't as impressed with their medical staff as I might have been as I sat alone in the dark for two hours and once they finally located me (they were searching in the wrong place and their radios didn't actually reach the base camp) it was another three hours before I made it to a hospital.  Once there, I was diagnosed with a spiral fracture of the right fibula and several torn ligaments.  They screwed a plate into my broken bone and used a longer screw to anchor my fibula and tibia together at the ankle while my ligaments repair.  I'm forbidden to put weight on the leg or drive for 7 weeks and they indicated that it would likely be at least two more months before I could start any training after that.  I'm trying to distract myself with percosets and the World Cup, but I'm pretty bummed out about the whole thing.

LRB

Sadly, I guess I belong on this thread now. 

Damn, that's not your typical running injury!

Hip Redux

Holy crap!  Sad  I hope the 7 weeks fly by for you.

Sadly, I guess I belong on this thread now.  Somewhere around midnight one week ago, I was running my second leg of the Ragnar Trail Relay in the mountains of West Virginia.  There had been a freak storm and the course was coated in a layer of mud up to six inches or so deep, which rendered everything very treacherous because it was slick as snot.  I fell two or three times in the first half of the 7.4 mile leg, but it was nothing serious.  I was being very careful since it was so dark and pretty much walked any section that looked especially treacherous.  Unfortunately, in a relatively innocent looking stretch, my right foot found a spot where the ground was sloped at a steep angle and shot inward just as I transferred my weight to that leg and I went down in a heap, accompanied by a sickening cracking sound.  When I tried to stand up, I immediately crashed back to the ground.  I wasn't as impressed with their medical staff as I might have been as I sat alone in the dark for two hours and once they finally located me (they were searching in the wrong place and their radios didn't actually reach the base camp) it was another three hours before I made it to a hospital.  Once there, I was diagnosed with a spiral fracture of the right fibula and several torn ligaments.  They screwed a plate into my broken bone and used a longer screw to anchor my fibula and tibia together at the ankle while my ligaments repair.  I'm forbidden to put weight on the leg or drive for 7 weeks and they indicated that it would likely be at least two more months before I could start any training after that.  I'm trying to distract myself with percosets and the World Cup, but I'm pretty bummed out about the whole thing.

I'm forbidden to put weight on the leg or drive for 7 weeks

Ouch.  Wishing you a full recovery, good luck.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Jay, not good news to hear a runner of your caliber on the bench.  Anyway, as I have posted here and on LTH's thread, I had what I thought was piriformis issues for nearly a year till I tripped on a run and that event actually tore my hamstring,  The symptoms of piriformis can mask a hamstring tendon.  That is similar to what LTH was experiencing.  I counseled him to seek an MRI if the conditions continued despite some rest and stretches.

Of course I do not know what may have caused your pain, what your history has been or what all symptoms are, I am just throwing that out there for your consideration.  Post or PM if I can be of any help.

Nevrgivup

Jay Sad(((  I'm so sorry to hear you have an injury right now. I also think its a good idea to check out the SI joint. I've had this on a number of occasions and it always starts with outer hip and buttock pain. Wishing you the speediest recovery!!!

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

obiebyke

Wow. I can't believe no one has posted here in over 2 months! Does that mean everyone is healthy?

I'm checking in. My running went to $%&* after my debut half on July 4th. Mojo has left the building. My weekly mileage was way too low to do that sucker without triggering my runner's knee. I knew it, but I wanted to do it anyway. My knees hate me and my motivation is dead. Have I been doing my PT exercises? Nope.

Time to step back and reevaluate what I'm looking for with this running thing. I want it to be sustainable and enjoyable and healthy and a bit challenging. But it may be that long distance "racing" isn't for me. At least right now.

I'm thinking of just accepting run/walking by feel for a bit, and doing PT. Then seeing where I am and maybe starting somewhere in C25K once again and committing to building slowly, with no races (or maybe a 5K for fun, that I can walk part of?).

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)