Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

music_girl117

I'm going to revive this thread because damnit, I really miss running.

I know I don't have it nearly as bad as others that have posted on this thread before, in that my whole life isn't turned upside down or anything.  I've been dutifully swimming (avoiding ball-of-foot wall pushoffs) and biking (sliding my foot as far forward as I can so the ball isn't on the pedal) almost every day while downing my super-strong prescription NSAIDs and using a topical cream that was prescribed for me.  I'm switching between the aircast given to me and some metatarsal pads that I bought online (neither is perfect) to keep pressure off the ball of my foot.  Normally I get up once or twice per hour just to walk around while at work, and I'm avoiding that now, trying to keep walking to a minimum.  I purchased Altras to eventually run in (in the hopes of avoiding all this in the future, since it seems that squeezed toes were the initial problem), and I have been wearing them around day-to-day to allow my foot more room in the toebox and to further alleviate ball-of-foot pressure with the lower heel when I do have to walk.

So it just really frustrated me earlier today when I got up to use the restroom and WHAM, I could tell the the swelling on the bottom of my foot had flared up big-time.  I didn't even do anything to cause that, I had literally been pounding away at my keyboard all day!  I have an appointment with the podiatrist on Tuesday, and I originally thought (from the first appt two weeks prior) that with the meds and no running I would surely be healed up by then, but now I just can't foresee that.  Who knows, maybe things will really turn the corner soon, but I just don't feel optimistic.  That also means I will likely miss my FAVORITE race of whole year, a 5k on May 1.  I have already made peace with the fact that my elusive sub-22 is not going to happen at that race (over the winter I was really wanting it to happen at this race), but now I might have to DNS, which I have never done before. 

I know this will all eventually pass and I'll be running normally again at some point, but it feels really hopeless right now.  This swelling just does. not. want. to. go. away.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My knee is really pissing me off  it's worse in the morning.

I seriously think I've got Plantar Faciitis  in my left foot, but my right leg feels amazing.

I hate taking days off, but I know deep down that I probably need a full week of no running right now.......

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Buelligan

I should really get back out there.

Hip Redux

Yep, FS, ITB starting to make my left knee cranky again.  It was bothering me up and down stairs, yada yada yada... always that stupid IT band!!

music_girl117

Might be a good idea to rest FreeSoul; you don't want to wind up with something worse.

Sorry Oski. Sad  Are you taking time off at the moment?

PRs:

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

Hip Redux

Might be a good idea to rest FreeSoul; you don't want to wind up with something worse.

Sorry Oski. Sad  Are you taking time off at the moment?

No.    But I don't run very much to begin with!  Lots of crosstraining.

music_girl117

No.    But I don't run very much to begin with!  Lots of crosstraining.

Fair enough!

How's the knee FreeSoul?

I ran on the treadmill a bit today.  It wasn't really great.  I felt twinges of the SAME ball-of-foot swelling in my OTHER foot.  What, the two and a half weeks I took off for my actual bad foot somehow didn't benefit my so-called good foot too?  What the hell. 

PRs:

#artbydmcbride

Fair enough!

How's the knee FreeSoul?

I ran on the treadmill a bit today.  It wasn't really great.  I felt twinges of the SAME ball-of-foot swelling in my OTHER foot.  What, the two and a half weeks I took off for my actual bad foot somehow didn't benefit my so-called good foot too?  What the hell. 

neuroma?

Runners run