Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Yeah, those hurt!  I actually think those small-muscle exercises are harder than the big ones.  When rehabbing from PF I did adductor/abductor with the cable machine connected around my ankle, but these are good too with ankle weights.  I will do it again when I can use my legs more (about which I get to ask my doctor TOMORROW!).  Wish me luck at the dr., I think I hear when I can run again.  Might be soon.

It is good you have a routine, you should show progress with each session.  Clamshells are a nice exercise, once you can do them with relative ease, crank up the intensity by adding resistance bands, working your way up in strength; yellow, red, green, blue, and finally black.

It may take a while, but once you can use the black band for reps, you will be able to crush a beer can between your ass...well, at least I can.  Joking

Another fave of mine is the lying leg raise, which targets the oft-ignored adductor muscles like no other:

Them shits burn like hell, but they are really effective!

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

LRB

Singer who runs a smidge

I think any day we can boot someone out of this thread, it's a good day!!  Hope you hear positive news!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

For hips, I do sideways walks on the treadmill with the band just below my knees.  1 minute facing one way, turn, 1 minute facing the other way - 6 each side.  around .9mph

WHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

For hips, I do sideways walks on the treadmill with the band just below my knees.  1 minute facing one way, turn, 1 minute facing the other way - 6 each side.  around .9mph

WHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Er... why on the treadmill instead of just on the ground?  I'm picturing this and it seems dangerous!  Though humorously confusing to other gym patrons, perhaps.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What is a good one for the hamstrings?

Damaris

Hip Redux

Well, to continue with the WTF is going on with me lately - no groin/adductor pain at all on today's run.   This was after four previous runs with pain.  No change in anything, other than the fact that it was like running  in a sauna today.

????

LRB

I alternate those flat, incline, both sides, front and back for up to 30 minutes with a band as well.  I worked my way up to 3.2 MPH over a period of four months, it is one helluva workout.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Er... why on the treadmill instead of just on the ground?  I'm picturing this and it seems dangerous!  Though humorously confusing to other gym patrons, perhaps.

Unless I go down my street there isn't enough room (in my house) to walk in the same direction for a minute. My pt said go for time not for number of steps. "We are endurance athletes so we train and rehab like endurance athletes." Lol he rocks.

Yep LRB, it totally kicked my ass at first but did the trick!!

Hip Redux

Unless I go down my street there isn't enough room (in my house) to walk in the same direction for a minute. My pt said go for time not for number of steps. "We are endurance athletes so we train and rehab like endurance athletes." Lol he rocks.

Yep LRB, it totally kicked my ass at first but did the trick!!

You know you can turn around and still get a minute in one direction, right?   lol  I go up and down the driveway, with the band around my ankles.  I'm sure the neighbors think I'm nuts. Smile   (and when it's rainy, I just go back and forth in my living room.  stepping over the dogs is an added complexity to the PT)

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

You know you can turn around and still get a minute in one direction, right?   lol  I go up and down the driveway, with the band around my ankles.  I'm sure the neighbors think I'm nuts. Smile   (and when it's rainy, I just go back and forth in my living room.  stepping over the dogs is an added complexity to the PT)

I'm not going up and down my driveway. And the treadmill is a consistent pace.

Hip Redux

I'm not going up and down my driveway. And the treadmill is a consistent pace.

Just saying - you don't need a treadmill to go in one direction.  Turning around works, where ever you are!

Pace is irrelevant.  (well, ok, assuming that people aren't taking 10 second breaks between steps lol)

Singer who runs a smidge

What is a good one for the hamstrings?

Docket, lay down on the floor near a doorway.  Get your butt flush against the wall and stick one leg straight up the wall while the other one hangs out the doorway.  Leave your leg stuck up the wall for 3 minutes, then switch legs.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket, lay down on the floor near a doorway.  Get your butt flush against the wall and stick one leg straight up the wall while the other one hangs out the doorway.  Leave your leg stuck up the wall for 3 minutes, then switch legs.

If you can actually stick your leg straight up against the wall, your hammies are in pretty good shape.

I lie on my back & hold one leg up as high as I can, using a yoga strap around my foot. I have generally done this 2-3 sets of 30 sec each, for each leg. Although lately I have been trying the 3-minute stretch that we discussed previously. I don't have a protractor handy, but I can only get my leg about 45-60 degrees off the ground.

BTW, ran 4 miles again this morning. Meh; still feel the pain starting to come up by the end of the run. Not yet debilitating, but feels like if I try to continue to ramp up the mileage/frequency it will be. However my big step today was finally getting an appointment for an MRI on my knee (on 9/22) & a referral to an orthopedic. So hopefully will eventually be able to figure out a path forward.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks!

I can do that.  I am flexible (TWSS).

Damaris