Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

LRB

Just saying - you don't need a treadmill to go in one direction.  Turning around works, where ever you are!

I do them in the basement and can get 40 to 50 steps just following the outline of the wall from room to room, doing them on the treadmill however presents a completely different stimulus though.

Some days I do them one way, and other days I prefer the other.

GinnyinPA

Dave - good job getting the appointments at last.  Sometimes you just have to admit that being patient and waiting to heal isn't enough.  Good luck.

tracilynn

I had to take 4 days off running last week because I injured my right piriformis trying to do that stupid Spider-Man stretch on one of the first pages!  Seriously!  Never  again ha.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Hip Redux

So I had an interesting PT session today.   I told her how I had terrible adductor/groin pain my last three runs... and then that last night's run was fine and no pain at all.   And before the three crappy runs was a run that was totally fine also.

The look on her face was total WTF.  She said that made her think that my back is somehow contributing because that on/off thing was not "normal".

She got me on the treadmill and yep, it looks like I'm overcompensating/in protective move when running.  It's almost the same protective stuff I did before with my back - closing down movement in my right hip, where I get most of my sciatica pain when the back flares.

I am not swinging through with my left leg and instead my left hip moves up so that I'm sort of doing a little round-house kick.  It keeps my right hip from moving and puts all this extra motion through my other hip... and what she thinks is going on is the adductor on the right side is trying to compensate for the unbalanced movement.    So there's likely some correlation between how much I'm protecting the back and how much the groin takes the brunt of it.

Today we worked on keeping my pelvis level and keeping the movement through my hips level as I swing my leg.  Aye aye aye.

tracilynn

Maybe we should band together!   Who is battling what?   Seen a doc?  Prognosis?  Level of frustration?

Over the last four years, I have battled injuries for my:

ITBS/knee pain

Back

Neck

Tibial tendonitis/ankle pain

And now it's my upper inner thigh.  WTF

I have lots of similar types of injuries you do/had.  I have been running 1.5 years and pretty sure I have been injured 3/4 of that.  I've had ITBS 4x, shin splints, knee stuff (early on) right hip thing (prob ITB), and peroneal brevis tendon (ankle) out 10 weeks for that.  It's so frustrating.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Hip Redux

I have lots of similar types of injuries you do/had.  I have been running 1.5 years and pretty sure I have been injured 3/4 of that.  I've had ITBS 4x, shin splints, knee stuff (early on) right hip thing (prob ITB), and peroneal brevis tendon (ankle) out 10 weeks for that.  It's so frustrating.

Welcome to our merry band of misfits!!  You'll fit right in.  Joking

tracilynn

No! I don't want to be here!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Hip Redux

No! I don't want to be here!

Sorry, I've already printed out your name tag.

Joking

Docket_Rocket

Talking about piriformis, my massage therapist did a deep tissue WTF and they are both hurting.  My hamstrings were so tight, she made me cry.

Hubby ran 2.25.  He is feeling pain on asphalt (only thing around here), so he runs partly in the grass and has done OK.  Taking 2 days off between runs but so far, so good.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I had to take 4 days off running last week because I injured my right piriformis trying to do that stupid Spider-Man stretch on one of the first pages!  Seriously!  Never  again ha.

Oh great, now I feel guilty for posting that. Did you try the full one, or the modified version?

Dave

tracilynn

Oh great, now I feel guilty for posting that. Did you try the full one, or the modified version?

Yeah, thanks A LOTJoking

Ha.  i tried the one in the pic of the girl with her foot up past her head and she was on her elbows.  That one.  Dead

~~~~~~~

Traci

Yeah, thanks A LOTJoking

Ha.  i tried the one in the pic of the girl with her foot up past her head and she was on her elbows.  That one.  Dead

Well I also posted the modified/less intense version on this page. But maybe I should stop recommending stretches. Or have people sign waivers.

Dave

Hip Redux

Or have people sign waivers.

We must have a runner/lawyer or two in this thread who could draft something up for you. Joking

Singer who runs a smidge

I love stuff like this, where someone actually figures out what's going on and you get an idea of how to fix it!  Hope it really helps!

So I had an interesting PT session today.   I told her how I had terrible adductor/groin pain my last three runs... and then that last night's run was fine and no pain at all.   And before the three crappy runs was a run that was totally fine also.

The look on her face was total WTF.  She said that made her think that my back is somehow contributing because that on/off thing was not "normal".

She got me on the treadmill and yep, it looks like I'm overcompensating/in protective move when running.  It's almost the same protective stuff I did before with my back - closing down movement in my right hip, where I get most of my sciatica pain when the back flares.

I am not swinging through with my left leg and instead my left hip moves up so that I'm sort of doing a little round-house kick.  It keeps my right hip from moving and puts all this extra motion through my other hip... and what she thinks is going on is the adductor on the right side is trying to compensate for the unbalanced movement.    So there's likely some correlation between how much I'm protecting the back and how much the groin takes the brunt of it.

Today we worked on keeping my pelvis level and keeping the movement through my hips level as I swing my leg.  Aye aye aye.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hip Redux

I love stuff like this, where someone actually figures out what's going on and you get an idea of how to fix it!  Hope it really helps!

It was kinda funny because we both looked at each other with a "Ah ha!" expression.   I started to feel like I was totally falling apart, so it was actually relieving to know that everything might be related.