Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Hey guys, sorry I fell off the planet.  Doctor visit bummed me out.  I am allowed to start running on October 1st, though.  That is only 2 weeks away... but it feels like forever.  And, of course, I can only jog slowly.  My first run will be 1/2 a mile, next one 1 mile, and continue doubling until I reach 5 OR until I feel pain, and if I do I will drop down.  I pretty much assume I will feel some twinge on like day 4 of this so it'll be a process.

Then apparently I am allowed to do actually SPEED work and actual HEAVY weights beginning in mid-December.

That's a long f*cking time for me to wait to do the only part of running I actually enjoy.  (For those who don't know, I HATE JOGGING with a fiery passion and consider being forced to run slower than a 7:00/mile pace to be a kind of unpleasant medicine I need to take to facilitate the actual running).

And also weight lifting is a huge deal for me and I can't even go heavy with that for 3 more months?  What is this horribleness?  I can't take it.  Seriously.  It is NOT fair.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Singer who runs a smidge

Scap, is there any way you can do one of those pool half-gravity thingies?  It seems like maybe you could do sprinting if you weren't totally weight-bearing.

Although those seem to be reserved for professionals and rich people, darnitall.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hip Redux

Dammit, Scap that sucks.  Sad   How's the swimming going?

I just got a phone message reminder about my ortho check in... except they have the WRONG DAY.  It was supposed to be Friday (which I can make) but the message said they have me down for Wednesday (which I can't).  GRR

Scap: Ugh. How depressing. I think this kind of thing makes you even more pissed off at people who are healthy but miss runs because they can't find the motivation. I have plenty of motivation to spare, I would gladly lend some in exchange for healthy body parts.

Dave

LRB

Hey guys, sorry I fell off the planet.  Doctor visit bummed me out. 

You have dates and a schedule, that is one of the most important things when emerging from the bench.

And for what its worth, I ran a total of one mile each my first few runs back slower than recovery pace.  Those remain the best runs of my life...well, not really, but you get what I am saying.  lol

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Thank you guys for the commiseration.  This thread is the bomb, though it SUCKS that we all need it.

HopesMom--I actually do have a flotation belt for pool running, but I truly feel like pool running is just not great exercise.  Biking is good for legs; swimming is good for full body; pool running just feels awkward and false and it's too easy for form to slip and it becomes a non-workout... idk, I haven't done any of it... I may tomorrow, though, my legs want to move.

Oski--doctors' offices can be so disorganized!  Terrifying, if you think about it--were you able to sort things out? Swimming is going really well, actually, as is lifting.  ALL of my upper body lifts are stronger and I can bang out chinups now.  Plus I am lots faster in the pool and I now know how to do 'sprint swimming', which is great because the best part of anything is going fast.

DaveP --YES.  YOU GET IT.  I get sooo mad at people who talk about motivation.  Like, come ON.  I went to the gym (up stairs, down stairs) on CRUTCHES.  I went to the pool to swim.. ON CRUTCHES.  Don't talk to me about motivation to run!

LRB, I hope I can really appreciate my first runs back... right now I just crave a sprint session so badly.  Hopefully tomorrow's swim intervals will help.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Hip Redux

It is incredibly frustrating to have the motivation and drive but not have cooperation from the body.  In fact, I think there's little that's worse than that!

Ortho appt is officially screwed up - I have to rearrange my schedule to go tomorrow AM.   Of course, this means that PT lady needs to get her report out today and I'm sure she'll love the last minute change.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I'm joining the DL. Cry I've got an in-grown toenail and it's incredibly painful. I've got an appointment to (hopefully) get it cared for tomorrow morning. I dropped a box on my right big toe last year while moving and lost the nail. The damn thing grew back in under the skin. It flared up while we were at the beach last week, and now it hurts like hell to even walk. I haven't run in nearly a week, but have managed some biking and elliptical and arc trainer work at the gym.

I read through the thread and am so sorry for what all of you are going through. My dumb toe isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Healing vibes and best wishes to you all!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry to hear that, scap.

And sorry to hear that some others are joining the disabled list.

Hubby felt no shin pain after the 3 miler on Sunday.  If he is not in pain today, he should be doing another workout today.  So, he has been OK for 3 weeks albeit with the brace while running.  He calls it his magic bullet.  Hoping that continues.

Damaris

nolamama

CQTM

Docket - did your husband just have shin splints, or do you think maybe there was a stress reaction or sfx starting? He was off for about 8 weeks, right?

LRB

I'm joining the DL. Cry I've got an in-grown toenail and it's incredibly painful.

I had one of those on each big toe once!  It took me weeks and months but I finally figured out how to trim my stupid nails so it would not happen anymore!

Good luck getting it removed, them shits hurt!

Scap, I feel you on the need for speed.  Hang in there sista!

Hip Redux

HL - I had an ingrown toe nail and those suckers HURT.   Are they going to remove it?

So PT was incredibly frustrating today.   I pretty much failed my hip strength retest.   HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?   I've spent hours over the last six weeks working with those stupid bands.  WTF

And we did so much side bends/side core work (because I kept getting it wrong) that it hurts to breathe.

I am defective.

Singer who runs a smidge

Oski, that just seems wrong!  Did you ask if there could be some reason why you weren't getting any stronger?  It just seems like you would've made SOME progress ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hip Redux

I shouldn't say it was a total fail - my rotational strength IS better.  But my abductor strength was exactly the same.   And that's sort of the biggie.  No idea why.   Lame.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Docket - did your husband just have shin splints, or do you think maybe there was a stress reaction or sfx starting? He was off for about 8 weeks, right?

He probably had shin splints.  He still has some pain from time to time and he was not off that long, but 5 weeks with some running in between.  He is still not fully pain free.  Although I told him to consider a stress reaction, he disagreed.  Don't get married to doctors!

Damaris