Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

My knees both hurt like crap all weekend.  And more people seem to be asking me "Are you limping?", which I guess means either they're worse or I'm showing it more.  Of course, yesterday evening I noticed they barely hurt at all, and they're still feeling good this morning.  I wish I could pinpoint SOMETHING that says "THIS is what makes it worse."  Roll eyes  (Also, THIS is what makes it better would be nice!)

Sad I can't remember - have you seen a PT?

Singer who runs a smidge

I've seen an orthopedic doc, who gave me some exercises and said I didn't need PT.  Roll eyes  I do have an appointment with my regular doc in a couple of weeks for a routine checkup, except that my regular doc left the practice.  I would be seeing the other regular doc, except that she's out for two months with foot surgery.  I'm seeing the nurse practitioner, I think.  I've basically designed my own PT course, which I am not doing regularly -- and today's my restart!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

I've been making good progress recently. In under two weeks I went from not being able to flatten my foot without pain to being able to walk pretty decently (albeit slowly) in a boot with crutches. I'm trying to focus on rolling my foot heel to toe when I walk, as opposed to penguin-ing it, and pushing off my foot when I go up stairs. There is definitely still some pain during/after walking, but it's manageable. I'm planning on going to the Ren Fest this weekend, so my goal is to not *need* my crutches by then.

I hope everyone's appointments, treatments, exercises, etc. go (are going) well. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

As for me, ortho is now concerned that I've torn my labrum. (oh Mandy, where are you??)  He wants to continue with conservative treatment for now because I have seen some improvement (and because the MRI is supposedly incredibly painful itself), but if by November (November!!), I'm not at 100%, he's going to send me for the MRI with contrast.   Yippee joy.

Oh, crap!!!  Sad  Yeah, I've heard the contrast dye injection before the MRI isn't exactly a picnic.  I also saw slight improvement, only to have it disappear.  I'm traveling to Philly this weekend, but after that, I'm calling the doc to start my process all over again.  Sigh.  And yeah, the treatment of a torn labram is pretty much stop running or surgery, from what I can tell.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

PT lady is like 99.99% sure it's NOT the labrum so I'm going with that until November.   I managed back to back run this weekend for the first time without massive pain so I am staying hopeful.  Because nothing about a torn labrum sounds fun.

You'll have to update us if you do get the MRI, Mandy.  From what he was saying, it sounds pretty miserable. Sad  Hopefully it tells you something though and makes it worth it!

Speaking of MRI's, got my results.  Appears to be a slight tear of the medial meniscus. Ligaments are intact. Also soft tissue swelling around the kneecap, possible subluxation or arthritic condition. This is just based on a voicemail from my GP, so will have to get an appointment with an orthopedic to see what this all means.

Dave

LRB

Speaking of MRI's, got my results. 

That is a start!

Hip Redux

Speaking of MRI's, got my results.  Appears to be a slight tear of the medial meniscus. Ligaments are intact. Also soft tissue swelling around the kneecap, possible subluxation or arthritic condition. This is just based on a voicemail from my GP, so will have to get an appointment with an orthopedic to see what this all means.

Oooooooh.   My SIL just had her meniscus fixed up!

I'm glad you at least have an answer.

Docket_Rocket

I am glad you got answers.  Hope the recovery is not too burdensome and/or painful.

Hubby tried to run every other day last week and he experienced some shin pain, so we are back in the 1 run, 2 days off category.  But he did his first 4 miler ever yesterday (his prior fast running life's PB was 3.60).  His brace is really helping.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Oooooooh.   My SIL just had her meniscus fixed up!

Does that mean surgery?? Ugh, I do not want that. Of course.

I have not yet had the chance to google all this, so I have no idea.

Dave

Hip Redux

Does that mean surgery?? Ugh, I do not want that. Of course.

I have not yet had the chance to google all this, so I have no idea.

Yes, but it's a straightforward procedure, from what she said.   That doesn't mean that's what you need, but if you do, I don't think it's a major deal (but again, not a doctor!).

Hip Redux

Dave - any update from your doc on what the next steps are?

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey stretchy peeps, how is the stretching going?  I think I'm slightly less tight in the hammies than I was two weeks ago.  I'm not sure my hip flexors are any less tight.  My knees seem to hurt a little less after stretching, so I guess that's incentive to continue ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

Help from the disabled, I have been having some pain in the left side of my left knee. I had been associating it with ITBS because from every diagram I have looked at it is hurting exactly where ITBS should hurt. I have really been working hard to get past this issue, I have been stretching, rolling and doing a lot of different leg / hip strengthening.

Last night however I was coming down the stairs with daughter in tow and I don't know if it was the extra 30+lbs or what but I was walking down the steps like always and suddenly I have this seering hot stabbing pain shoot through the side of the knee, same place as always but way more intense! I pretty much had to do this quick step the last few steps to keep from falling and that only made it worse, I made my way to the living room and just stood / leaned there holding my knee. So. Much. Pain. I took some ibuprofen, rubbed in some pain cream (prescription strength) wrapped it in a Ace bandage and iced it. None of it really seemed to help, it just kept hurting. Now I'm at work, in pain, and wondering if this is just a severe case of ITBS or perhaps something worse?

I called the doc and waiting for a call back to make an appt for tomorrow, hopefully its not as bad as I fear.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

tracilynn

2 dead giveaways (for me) for ITBS  flare ups is

pain going down stairs

& bad pain while rolling.

~~~~~~~

Traci