Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Dad on the run.

Pain going downstairs is when it hurts the most. I've read some pretty bad cases of ITBS online, so I'm not throwing that out yet. It's feeling better as the day goes by, if its better tomorrow than it feels right now I may or may not go to the Dr. If it really is ITBS I don't really know what they can do for me except offer physical therapy which I'm not willing to fork up the cash for.

2 dead giveaways (for me) for ITBS  flare ups is

pain going down stairs

& bad pain while rolling.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dave - any update from your doc on what the next steps are?

Well the next step was to make an appointment with an orthopedic. Called the one he recommended & he can see me Nov 4! Found another guy in his practice available Oct 14, so will be seeing him. Until then -- should I not run? Bah, I am probably just going to keep doing what I've been doing -- go max 3x/wk, 4-6 miles (the point it usually starts to hurt).

Dave

Hip Redux

Well the next step was to make an appointment with an orthopedic. Called the one he recommended & he can see me Nov 4! Found another guy in his practice available Oct 14, so will be seeing him. Until then -- should I not run? Bah, I am probably just going to keep doing what I've been doing -- go max 3x/wk, 4-6 miles (the point it usually starts to hurt).

I think you're alright running.

I'm on the same schedule.  I call it the "better than nothing" plan.

LRB

Until then -- should I not run?

This guy had the same dilemma (link).

This guy had the same dilemma (link).

Thanks for the link, have not had time to read it yet but I definitely will.

Dave

Hip Redux

How are all my injured pals doing?

Pinktastic

I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow.   Hopefully, she'll let me out of this walking cast!   She already said that I won't be able to run right away, but she would be fine with me taking Abby (boxer-shar pei mix) on long walks.   At least that will be a step in the right direction.....   Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to running before long.  I'm sure there will be the slow build back stage to contend with, but maybe not as slow as with the tendon where I had to start with running for only 5 minutes at a time.    Fingers crossed!

Thanks for asking, Oski!   How are you doing with your recovery?

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Hip Redux

Definitely got my fingers crossed for you, Pink!

I'm doing ok.  I can do ~4 miles at a time, on every other day, without too much aggravation of symptoms.  Which is where I was earlier in the year coming off my last injury. lol    Two PT sessions this week on the docket.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Hey stretchy peeps, how is the stretching going?  I think I'm slightly less tight in the hammies than I was two weeks ago.  I'm not sure my hip flexors are any less tight.  My knees seem to hurt a little less after stretching, so I guess that's incentive to continue ...

I'm stretching 3mins each hammie every day.

I notice no improvement.  HMPF

Good luck, Pink. Smile

I hope to be out of my boot this Thursday.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Pinktastic

Great news, Nova!  Will you need PT afterwards?

MBC - Are you sure you have hammies and not just concrete cinder blocks where your hammies should be?    ;-)    You're been doing some Pinktabulous running lately!!

Oski - Good luck with your PT this week.   Hope it makes a difference!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

MBC - Are you sure you have hammies and not just concrete cinder blocks where your hammies should be?    

sounds about right.

Pink - I asked about PT, but my doctor said it wasn't worth coming in for. She just recommended doing some strength exercises at home.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

bluerun

Super B****

Pretty soon I'll be posting from prison because I've transitioned from nearly being a suicidal homicidal maniac to actually being one.

Good luck, Pink!

nova -- nice that she was honest about that, at least... I hate it when doctors are all, "ohh, throw more money at the problem!"  Grrr.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

I think you're alright running.

I'm on the same schedule.  I call it the "better than nothing" plan.

Still on this plan. Barely. Ran a couple days ago after several days off; pain started ~3 miles, ended up doing 4 uncomfortably. I need to stop coming back to this thread, it is too depressing; I am in the mode where I wonder if I will ever be able to get back to running significant distances again. Still deciding whether to just cut it off completely until I see the ortho (in 2 weeks), or keep giving it a go every few days. DW of course is in disbelief that I am even considering continuing to run.

BTW, for all you amateur orthos out there, this is the summary portion of the MRI report:

"There is some degenerative changes in the patellofemoral space. There is prepatellar soft tissue swelling. I suspect a small parrot-beak type medial meniscal tear."

Dave