Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Run/walking, quarter mile intervals for about 4 miles.  Going to ramp up slowly so hip flexor behaves. Doing the PT exercises religiously.

bluerun

Super B****

Bluerun, are you having problems with your previous stress fx?  Or new fractures?

The reason I ask, is that after almost nine months of running without issue, I'm feeling my pelvis again.  Not where I broke it before, but the other side.  So far, it's very low level pain, but it's there, and it shouldn't be.  I'm freaking out, because it took 8 months last time before I could run without pain.  Again, I'm training for a HM, and I really want to run it.  I don't know what to do except wait and see.  But how long do I wait?  I feel like I want to try to run, so I can have a definite answer, but I'm not sure I can handle the answer.  If it's a stress reaction, rather than a fracture, how long do I need to rest it?

I don't know.  My doctor says it's not a fracture, but I didn't get an MRI, only an X ray... and none of my fractures have ever shown up on X rays.  Besides, you can't even SEE anything on an X ray of my pelvis at this point since it's all fuzzy and blurred from previous fractures!  I've had it feel unusual before, but that usually goes away after a day or two, and it's been two weeks already this time.  It's on the same side as my first pubic rami fractures, but it doesn't feel like it's in the same spot, so... I don't know.  It doesn't feel like a fracture when I hop on it, either, but I'm not interested in taking the chance.

Anyway, when I had a stress reaction in April 2012, my doctor told me "you'll be back to running in two weeks."  She was greatly exaggerating, I think, in an attempt to keep me from jumping out the window, but ... I started running on the AlterG after about four weeks, and on roads a couple of weeks after that.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Misery loves equally miserable company.

I'm bike commuting to work about 3 days a week (32 mile round trip).  It's the only thing keeping me sane.  I worry when cold weather hits.

Running is dumb.

My knee started to ache a week before a 5k in march.  I ran the 5k faster than I could've imagined but could barely walk afterwards......after 6 weeks went to my doc and said its either arthritis or a slight tear in the meniscus. Never did an X-ray or MRI since my deductible is $6,000.00. I have ran maybe a dozen times since march knee is very stiff and aches......hurts if i turn just right. I miss running to no end but I'm waiting it out.

I have been using the elliptical and bought a road bike a few weeks ago. Gotta keep the body moving and hopefully running again slow and easy. Miss hanging out you guys and gals.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

You Rang?

How's everyone doing?

I'm down to only having pain when driving the car.  The solution?  Don't drive the car.  Now all I have to do is move to an urban area like San Francisco or New York City where I can live without a car.

Or I could just drive my truck.  Think I'll do that.

Seriously,  I'm two weeks into the down period, and I'm back to the doctor tomorrow.  Think I'll try running slowly or quickly walking this evening on the dreadmill.  Don't want to stray too far from home.

RIck

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

You Rang?

Saw the doctor today.  She cleared me to run slowly.  She told me to keep my stride lenght short, and to perform a few specific stretches before and after the run.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Hip Redux

Saw the doctor today.  She cleared me to run slowly.  She told me to keep my stride lenght short, and to perform a few specific stretches before and after the run.

Rick

That's good!

I ran/walked 2.5 miles today.    So that's something.

I ran/walked 2.5 miles today.    So that's something.

I already yay'd this on another thread, but worth another yay.

Dave

Hip Redux

I already yay'd this on another thread, but worth another yay.

Thanks Smile   The groin was still really tight, and I was not moving very fast, BUT no crippling pain, so I'll take it.   The key will be how I feel when I get up in the AM...fingers crossed.

hog4life

PF sucks!

Docket_Rocket

Good news.

Rick

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

So I did the 2.5 miles run/walk Wednesday with no serious issues other than tightness, but I haven't run since then.   It still doesn't feel 100% so I'm hesitant to keep testing it.    I'm hoping the massage helped yesterday (it certainly HURT) and I'll get out for a run tomorrow that feels closer to normal.

bluerun

Super B****

I ran outside today!!  (As opposed to on the AlterG.)  My PT told me to do it, but to stop if it hurt on a higher level than 3/10.  It didn't hurt, really, it was just kind of ... uncomfortable.  If I had to give it a number, I'd say 1.5 or 2.  So, happy happy joy  joy, it's probably safe to say that my pelvis is not broken.

chasing the impossible

GinnyinPA

bluerun - hurray!  So, do you have any idea what it was that was hurt?

bluerun

Super B****

bluerun - hurray!  So, do you have any idea what it was that was hurt?

My PT said it was probably that my muscles were really tight and pulling on my pelvis.  Which makes sense, I guess, since I had a sports massage last week and she did a lot of work on my adductor magnus / gracilis, which was excruciatingly painful... I had no idea my muscles could get that tight.  But I hope that's all it was.

chasing the impossible