Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Dad on the run.

So went out for 3 lastnight. Shin pain in the right leg and can still feel some issue with the IT Band. I am running in the New Balance 890v3 but I'm really wondering if that's a good choice for me. At 212lbs I'm wondering if perhaps I need more cushioning, so I ordered me some nimbus 15s. They should arrive tomorrow and I will do a few miles in those and see how everything feels. I'm hoping I can use those for most of my runs and pull the 890s out for speedwork / races.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

LRB

I have good info that Oski has that too Wink

Yeah that is where I got them!

No matter what it is, sista girl either has it, or knows where to get it.

No matter what it is, sista girl either has it, or knows where to get it.

She's got a guy.

Dave

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Lucky for me the whole class of opioid pain killers make me HIGH.   Like - wheeeeeeeee I can rule the world! high.

LOL.  I'm glad you got to run, Oski.

Running is dumb.

So anyhoo. I went for the follow up visit at my ortho, 6 weeks after the initial one. The first guy had suggested I see one of the other doctors in the practice for the follow up, to possibly get another take on the situation. Did I ever. First guy looked at the meniscus tear on the MRI, told me the only long term solution was surgery, and gave me a steroid injection on the spot as a short term fix. Second guy (same practice remember) told me the meniscus tear was minor and probably incidental, and not likely the cause of my issues. And the injection probably did nothing. He was very supportive of keeping up the running & staying active in general - told me the meniscus tear I have might in fact cause problems for a couch potato, but not for someone active. His diagnosis was Baker's cyst and hamstring tendonitis. Which he said takes 3-4 months to heal (as mine did), and might not necessarily become a chronic issue (I really hope he's right). He suggested to stretch my hammies at the beginning of a run, after a brief warmup. Which I have heard, although sounds like a hassle to run, stop & stretch, then run again - not sure if some of you d that. I usually stretch calves & hammies post-run. Told me if it does flare up to call the office & tell them I need to get in right away, so he can do an ultrasound while it's flared up. I like guy #2. 

Long story short - get a second opinion!!

Dave

Hip Redux

Wow, that's promising Dave!

LRB

Long story short - stretch, stretch again, and when you are done stretching, stretch some more!!

FYP.

Zelanie

Good news, Dave!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

That's awesome, Dave!  I hope you're back to where you want to be soon!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

My recheck with the ortho is tomorrow AM.  Right now, I have minimal adductor/groin pain.  Of course, it's done this before and then reappeared for seemingly no reason.     He said that if I wasn't 100% that he would send me for the MRA, and while it's not 100%, it's not really that bad so I don't know what to do.   It's going on 6 months at this point, so maybe the MRA is worth it just to be sure it's healed/healing?

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

My recheck with the ortho is tomorrow AM.  Right now, I have minimal adductor/groin pain.  Of course, it's done this before and then reappeared for seemingly no reason.     He said that if I wasn't 100% that he would send me for the MRA, and while it's not 100%, it's not really that bad so I don't know what to do.   It's going on 6 months at this point, so maybe the MRA is worth it just to be sure it's healed/healing?

DO it.  Then you'll know.................

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, I am now the poster child for never taking anti-inflammatories.  I ended up having a bad reaction to my diclofenac, even though I'd been taking it for a few weeks, and it landed me in the hospital for a few days.  Crazy itchy rash, swollen hands, trouble breathing, swollen lymph nodes, really weird bloodwork, etc.  I am taking prednisone now to clear it out of my system, and afterwards I'm allowed to take Tylenol if I have pain.

So, I am on the plan of rehabbing my knee with nothing but stretching and strength training, no drugs.  At least right now, my knee doesn't hurt!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Pinktastic

Wow, Hope's Mom!  That was a really bad reaction!   I'll bet it was pretty scary!   Glad you're on the road to recovery from that!   Hopefully, your knee continues to behave as well!  Feel better soon!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

If they offer the MRA, do it.  The needle part isn't that scary and it's worth it just for the peace of mind.

Hopesmom, that's scary!  I'm glad you're okay and out of the hospital!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

No MRA.  He wants me to continue with PT for another two months - he said since I'm seeing some improvement, that's still my best option.  I'll probably give it until the end of the month and if still dealing with it, I will push for it.   I didn't have any fight in me this morning. lol