Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

LRB

BTW, in our house we refer to the condition of re-watching a movie you thought was super-cool in your youth, and finding it to be ridiculously cheesy, thereby destroying your fond memories of it, as "Planet of the Apes Syndrome". See if you can guess why.

I gotta admit, I do watch the Planet of the Apes when they come on.

Lily, The Fly 2 was horrible.  Poor son.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I honestly forgot which thread this was.

Get out, get out, get out!  Angry  (Just kidding!  Injury sympathizers are welcome here.)

Oski, that sucks about the lack of the MRI, but hopefully you won't need it after a month either.

I am just running through my pain at the moment, which is always a blast.  Not to mention the fact that I haven't really even run in the past year, so even my meager 30mpw is giving me DOMS.  LOL.

Running is dumb.

Singer who runs a smidge

BTW, in our house we refer to the condition of re-watching a movie you thought was super-cool in your youth, and finding it to be ridiculously cheesy, thereby destroying your fond memories of it, as "Planet of the Apes Syndrome". See if you can guess why.

I have this problem when watching old TV shows that I loved.  Seriously, The A-Team is not as cool as it was.  I can still watch Buffy without cringing, though ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Follow-up doc appointment was just fine.  I took my last prednisone dose today, and unless the rash makes a roaring comeback, I am good to go.  I wasn't as completely wiped out tired yesterday, and except for the fact that my wrists are peeling, I think I'm over my bout of drug reaction.  So I think I'll give myself the rest of the week "off" (in quotes because I have four barbershop performances between today and Sunday) and then restart my knee exercises come Monday.  Woo-hoo!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

bluerun

Super B****

HopesMom -- being "good to go" is, well, good, right?!

The good news: my knee seems to have gotten over itself.  Finally.

The bad news: my hip/pelvis/groin is not happy.  Cue the "OMG IT'S A SFX" freakout.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Singer who runs a smidge

Yep, I'm happy with good to go.  I'm also glad this is my last day of prednisone -- I think the bad drug has worked its way out of my system, since I'm much less itchy, rashy, and completely drained of energy.  Unfortunately that means the prednisone-induced munchies have hit.  I'm not really hungry, but I have a terrific case of the munchies!!  The only saving grace is that I have no food in my office at all, and I refuse to walk over to 7-11 for a snack.  I mean, dinner's in 3 hours, surely I can hold out that long?

Dinner is out with my quartet.  I'm thinking a sub sandwich ... and I don't even care that I have to sing afterwards on a full stomach ...

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Now I have pain in my sacrum on the right side when I press on it.  It doesn't hurt more when I walk or run (I've only run once, 5k distance at easy-easy pace, since my hip began to hurt again)... but it aches at rest.  What in the world???  It doesn't feel severe enough to be a sfx of the sacrum (Which would suck so much...) but what is it?

Seeing the doctor tomorrow.  Please please send me good wishes.

I feel such self-doubt for my recent ramp up in mileage.  I fear I did too much or that I misunderstood doctor's orders.

I also probably lifted too much weight, though I thought I was being cautious.

I need to get over this self-blame cycle.  Maybe I'm fine.  I am going to be hoping so all night while I wait to see the doc.  Hope everyone else is OK, too.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Pinktastic

Sending you good thoughts and positive vibes!!   Let us know how it goes tomorrow!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Hip Redux

Geez, scap, I hope you get some answers.   Sad

HM - glad the worst of the reaction is behind you!

Blue - seriously, BUBBLE WRAP.  Tongue  I hope it's certainly NOT another sfx!

Mandy - when's your surgery scheduled for?  Did I miss the date?

LRB

Now I have pain in my sacrum on the right side when I press on it.

So don't press on it, duh.

Seriously, there is an adjustment period when returning to running, both physical and mental.  I suppose there may be something amiss but from the runs you have posted in the dailies, nothing stood out as reckless.  Your mind is probably playing tricks on you...hopefully!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Welp, I can't find a friend in the medical world.

Finally got to see orthopedic today and he said my Xray looked normal (duh) and he tugged and pulled & twisted on my knee, none of which hurt, but he said that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't something torn either.  He said it also might be ITBS but he ordered an MRI so now I just wait for the authorization. (always waiting for authorization).

When I asked him about running he said....."Well, it's gonna wear on your knees just like tires on a car.  I won't sugar coat it, that's just how it is."

This from an ortho group that has a runner on their business card. Sad

I just don't know what to think about these docs.  Only good news I got from him is that unlike my PCP, he said I can do what I want so long as it doesn't hurt.  He just recommends that if I decide to run, that I cross train with cycling, elliptical, etc.  (I lifted weights tonight)

Randy

Hip Redux

Red - glad you got the OK for the MRI!  Is the knee still bothering you as much as before?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oski - March 3rd.

Redrum, I don't really know what I think about cartilage and joints and all that stuff anymore.  How is that some people are 70 and have 60,000 miles under their belts and are still running ultras while some of us fall apart at half that age?  I don't get it.

Running is dumb.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Red - glad you got the OK for the MRI!  Is the knee still bothering you as much as before?

Well, technically still waiting for the ok on the MRI but, ya at least the request has been put in.

Knee's definitely improved.  In fact, I even ran a few hundred yard trots on a walk I did over Thanksgiving weekend.  Man, the legs just pulled me along.  But I still don't think everything's normal in the knee.  Every once in a while I step wrong and it'll bark at me.  So I dunno.

Mandy,

I agree 100%.  Though, I thought at one time I was indestructible. (at least in my legs)  I now know otherwise.

Randy

Singer who runs a smidge

My best luck finding a good doc was when I called my local running shop and asked who they recommended.  Getting a regular doc pretty much insures they're going to want you to stop running.  But this guy had his Boston jersey framed on the wall as well as an article he'd gotten published in Runner's World.  Turned out he was the go-to medical guy for several local races as well as the UVA track team.  He handled my stress fracture with no muss, no fuss.

Probably I should've gone back to him for my runner's knee, but I've switched primary care physicians, so I'm out of his group.

Scap, sending good vibes!!