Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I know. Its part of the sport right?  Doesn't stop us though. Maybe for a short period of time, but we do not quit the sport. At least I haven't all these years. When is your surgery??

March 3rd.  I'm starting to get freaked out.  Maybe I should just stop being an ultra runner.  That might be easier.  Take up cycling more.

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

March 3rd.  I'm starting to get freaked out.  Maybe I should just stop being an ultra runner.  That might be easier.  Take up cycling more.

I've gone through that same feeling every time I'm injured. It makes you wonder if its worth the pain, but than I bounce back and know that running is my passion and it makes me happy. Of course, I'm taking a liking to the pool, but its not the same as being outside. I'm glad you are enjoying the cycling at least. I do know that with every injury that I've had, I've reassessed the need for cross-training and things I can do to be healthier. So its not always a bad thing. 

Surgery isn't too bad. I've had my back operated on and came back after only 8 months post-surgery. So many examples of those success stories. Look at Baboon and another friend of mine who had a similar surgery that you are having is running her first marathon next week.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Said goodbye to my Orthopedic today.  He said my MRI was normal, report from the hospital said normal and he officially called me "graduated"!!!!!

To say I'm relieved/estatic would be an understatement.

That sharp pain that I had went away a few weeks ago and I don't know where it went and I don't know if it was a miracle or just simply something strained that's healed itself.  I would have SWORN on a stack of Bibles that I tore my meniscus but the Ortho assured me there is absolutely NOTHING torn in my knee, no sign of arthritis and it looks like a normal 40-something knee. (age jokes aside)

I'm almost afraid to start running again! 

He was adamant about sticking to the treadmill when I *do* run and to definitely continue to cross train and make running just *part* of my active life. (hmmm)

Still praying for and thinking of everyone in this thread.  I will not be leaving this thread any time soon.  Everyone's support here through my last three months has been MORE than appreciated!!!!

Randy

Hip Redux

Glad you got the all clear, red!   When's your first run gonna be?  :P

Mandy - I would imagine it's fairly normal to get freaked out about a major surgery!  You'll be on the road to recovery before you know it.

obiebyke

redrum, that's amazing news! Congratulations and happy (careful) running!

I requested an appointment today at the best sports medicine clinic in the Twin Cities. That'll get me going. My knee and shin are slowly getting better. I need to foam roll some more to get my calves to loosen up, but just rest is helping. I'm considering trying a run this weekend.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Today was my 8 week post surgery visit, I literally walked into the office without any limp or pain.  Quick 10 min check, doc looked at my hamstring and said it looks great, just do not rush back into things like "running" yet.  She is a good surgeon, and I shall heed her words.  Problem is the recovery protocol does not have jogging till 16 weeks which is end of Feb.  I feel like I can run now.  Alas, I shall wait.

Its a pain to now have to watch my weight again.  I lost 2 pounds while on crutches, them things require some horsepower.  No more 'Whopper Wednesdays' till I can get back on the road.  One thing the doc said was that my quicker than normal recovery was greatly aided by being thin.  The less weight on ones frame, the less stress to the affected muscles, plus it is easier to get around, thereby gaining some range of motion.

LRB - man you are a virtual Wikipedia of running injuries and symptoms.  Seems like you have had just about everything.  Quit your day job and open up "Ricks Urgent Care - Where Rehab is a Lifestyle"

Mandy you are so correct on how the nerves regenerate. Still have quite a bit of numbness remaining, but every once and a while I get that pin prick and laugh and think of you.  I guess that means my arse and you must have a virtual connection...hmmm.

To all the others give up running and take up yoga, good for the soul and body, lol.

onemile

I would probably be freaking out too. But in the long term, I think you'll be happy you decided to do it. Once you are back to cranking out 50 milers.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

redrum, that's amazing news! Congratulations and happy (careful) running!

I requested an appointment today at the best sports medicine clinic in the Twin Cities. That'll get me going. My knee and shin are slowly getting better. I need to foam roll some more to get my calves to loosen up, but just rest is helping. I'm considering trying a run this weekend.

Indeed!  I can't even begin to say how "miraculous" it seems to me cuz I was 110% certain I was bound for an OR.

And, Mandy ---- if you think YOU were freaking out, you should have seen me as I was sitting in the waiting room, after the chick had loaded my MRI images on the computer and I was just sitting there listening to the hum of CFL light bulbs awaiting the doc's verdict.  You think you've seen a grown man look like a little girl??  I made little girls look like Chris Helmsley in Thor compared to my disposition yesterday between about 3pm and 3:15pm.

You women are SOLDIERS compared to what I was/would have been/am and always will be.

Randy

LRB

I'm almost afraid to start running again! 

I know the feeling.  When my PT asked me to take a short jog through the parking lot, I replied in a meek voice, "Today?"  She actually called me chicken shit to another PT because I hemmed and hawed so long!  lol

4/5, that was really funny!  To defeat an injury you must become it, so that you understand what it needs to thrive and thus rid yourself of doing whatever that is.  Great news on the injury front for you!

Mandy, my guess is you will probably go through equal periods of anxiety and excitement all the way up until it's light out.  I think that is perfectly understandable.

If any one of us is suited to handle it head on though it is you.  Some of your ultra running mantras are legend around these parts.  Your line, "Bring it on bitch" in reference to mother nature during one of your races was classic!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy you are so correct on how the nerves regenerate. Still have quite a bit of numbness remaining, but every once and a while I get that pin prick and laugh and think of you.  I guess that means my arse and you must have a virtual connection...hmmm.

I have experienced it before, so I know exactly what you're talking about.  (Maybe not the virtual ass connection...that's a new one for me!)  It really sounds like your healing is progressing well, and I agree about being conservative regarding returning to running.  Better to wait a little too long than start too early.

Redrum, waiting for my first MRI results I was a total disaster.  I thought I was going to puke and think I sweated through 3 layers of clothes.  Second MRI was a breeze, since I pretty much knew what it was going to say.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I would probably be freaking out too. But in the long term, I think you'll be happy you decided to do it. Once you are back to cranking out 50 milers.

You should probably bake *me* cookies this time. 

Thanks, LRB!  I am sure I will get only increasingly more anxious/annoying as the date approaches.

Running is dumb.

onemile

You should probably bake *me* cookies this time. 

Thanks, LRB!  I am sure I will get only increasingly more anxious/annoying as the date approaches.

Perhaps.  I actually have some dough in the fridge right now.  

Nevrgivup

I slept through the entire night last night. Yay! Seems like this cortisone shot is working already. Still have some lingering sciatica that comes and goes. Hoping that I will be good and not need the si joint injection. Will still be working very closely with physical therapy. Working all day today so no exercise. Going to swim tomorrow.

Redrum- that is great news on the MRI.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

obiebyke

Hooray for sleep and a working cortisone shot, Hilary!

I managed to nab an appointment for next Wednesday with a sports medicine doc who specializes in women's biomechanics and runners. Woohoo! My boss is being outwardly pretty supportive, but I imagine she's not terribly pleased with all this coming in to work late because of doctors appointments business. Oh well...

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Hip Redux

Cookies?  Does someone have cookies?

Good luck at the appt obiebyke!  Sometimes getting in to see the right person is half the battle.