Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

I had the follow-up CT scan this morning, to make sure that all the problems from my drug reaction a couple of months ago are gone.  I should get the results in a day or two, but I doubt there will be anything to cause concern.

Now if I could just get my knee to cooperate ...  I've been for a couple of really short walks, and although it's painful, it's not screaming.  I figure that's good enough to continue.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Nevrgivup

I had the follow-up CT scan this morning, to make sure that all the problems from my drug reaction a couple of months ago are gone.  I should get the results in a day or two, but I doubt there will be anything to cause concern.

Now if I could just get my knee to cooperate ...  I've been for a couple of really short walks, and although it's painful, it's not screaming.  I figure that's good enough to continue.

What type of reaction did you have and why a CT scan?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Singer who runs a smidge

It got a little crazy -- enlarged lymph nodes in my neck was the start, and then hives all over me.  But nobody thought it was a drug reaction, because I'd been taking the same anti-inflammatory off and on for over a year.  My doc figured it was viral, since I also ran a low-grade fever with it.  But after about a week and a half, I had trouble breathing one night and nearly fainted, so I headed to the ER.  I was admitted and they tested for a bunch of different diseases, as well as doing a lung CT scan, checking for a clot.  There wasn't a clot, but I did have enlarged lymph nodes.  The next day I had an abdominal CT scan, which also showed enlarged lymph nodes.  The docs were still stumped, until a dermatologist came in, took one look at me, and said, "That's a drug rash!"  So they kicked me out of the hospital (in time for Thanksgiving, which was nice) and put me on a week of prednisone.

This scan today was a follow-up to make sure the lymph nodes have calmed down.  They figure the enlarged nodes were due to the drug reaction, but they don't want to just assume that was the case and maybe miss something important.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Let's see if I can remember what all I don't have ...

HIV

Rickettsia

Parvovirus

Toxoplasmosis

Lyme disease

Measles

Lupus

Epstein-Barr

Hepatitis

I think there were others, but they've faded from memory.  I have bad veins, and they kept needing blood, so I had a PICC line put in.  It felt like being in a vampire hospital ...

Nevrgivup

Wow! Hopesmom. You and I have some bad luck lately. I was hospitalized in 2012 for fevers of 103 for like three weeks. Finally they figured it was a disease ticks carry. Now my current injury. I started NP school in the hospital now I'm ending school injured. I was in the ER Monday. Its very scary when you are sick and have no control over your body. I'm glad you got a good work up and are feeling better. I always say to never ever take our health for granted. Its amazing how quickly it can change.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yikes HopesMom!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Singer who runs a smidge

It sounds a lot worse than it was.  The hives were fairly miserable, but other than that I never felt really bad except for the night I couldn't breathe.  Once I got admitted, tested, etc, my doc came by and said that my white blood cell count, bands, liver enzymes, all pointed toward sepsis.  And then he said, "This worries us, because some people with sepsis don't do too well.  But they're usually feeling pretty sick, and you look fairly perky!"

So you know how sometimes when you're sick, you FEEL really sick?  This was more like I knew something was off, and I itched fiendishly, but mostly felt ok.  This is also why I'm not too worried that they're going to find something major on my CT scan -- I just don't have the sense that anything major is wrong with me, bar some knee pain.

Singer who runs a smidge

And my doc is quite prompt, apparently.  He just called, and I am completely clear! 

obiebyke

Wahoo!

And my doc is quite prompt, apparently.  He just called, and I am completely clear! 

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Nevrgivup

That is great Hope!

Nevrgivup

Many friends on FB know, but for those that are not my friends on FB, I reherniated my L5-S1 disc and will be going in to fix it this Friday. I had a microdisectomy in 2010 and it will be the same procedure. I am sick and anxious, but at least I know the cause of the pain and I can work towards getting better. I can't waste anymore time being in pain and my quality of life does not deserve to suffer. Beauty of it all is that I will be running again. Maybe a bit less but will be able to run. Will be paranoid to do anything but cannot sit back and watch my life go by because of fear.

Hip Redux

So the earlier MRI report was wrong then?   Yikes.

At least you have an answer!  Even if it sucks.  Sad

Nevrgivup

So the earlier MRI report was wrong then?   Yikes.

At least you have an answer!  Even if it sucks.  Sad

It wasn't wrong. It was miscommunicated by the nurse that it just wasn't emergent so I was sent home to follow up with him. Yeah, it sucks but at least I have an answer and a plan now. No sense waiting time and money. It could always be worse. I came back strong after my last surgery when I didn't think I'd ever run again. He told me I'd be running in a few months.

obiebyke

Wow, Hilary. Well, I'm glad they found the source and now it can be fixed. Yowch!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Nevrgivup

Wow, Hilary. Well, I'm glad they found the source and now it can be fixed. Yowch!

Thanks. Life throws curveballs. You just roll with it. I will most likely have to cut back some with the running and focus more on strength and core stuff initially but I'll survive. As much as I love running, its not the end of the world doing other things. I can swim and do the elliptical and I'll probably keep my runs to shorter distances. I need to look at the bigger picture and that is the everyday tasks that I want to be able to do in life. I don't want to keep having surgery or live a life always injured. Sad