Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Docket_Rocket

Many friends on FB know, but for those that are not my friends on FB, I reherniated my L5-S1 disc and will be going in to fix it this Friday. I had a microdisectomy in 2010 and it will be the same procedure. I am sick and anxious, but at least I know the cause of the pain and I can work towards getting better. I can't waste anymore time being in pain and my quality of life does not deserve to suffer. Beauty of it all is that I will be running again. Maybe a bit less but will be able to run. Will be paranoid to do anything but cannot sit back and watch my life go by because of fear.

Sorry it took so long to know but at least now you have an answer.  Hope recovery is fast.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Great news, redrum!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Daggum, Hilary........I had no idea your surgery was TODAY!!  That was FAST!!!

That's probably how I'd want it though......"I need surgery?  Ok, let's go right now!!" 

Think about it.....you're already on the path to recovery!!! 

Randy

Nevrgivup

Daggum, Hilary........I had no idea your surgery was TODAY!!  That was FAST!!!

That's probably how I'd want it though......"I need surgery?  Ok, let's go right now!!" 

Think about it.....you're already on the path to recovery!!! 

Yes!! SO glad to be moving forward now! Thank you all for the well wishes.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Oh, and I didn't want to say this *before* your surgery but I watched a video on microdiscectomy a couple days ago when you posted it & I just about passed out.  Needless to say, I could NOT be a surgeon.   

Randy

LRB

Hilary, you know you're a running dork when you're posting to RA from the recovery room. 

I laughed out loud at that!

Good luck on the recovery NGU!

LRB

The seeds of doubt still fill my mind...

Get used to it, you will be looking like a real life chia pet once those things sprouting all over the place, and they will!

bluerun

Super B****

Am I allowed to whine about something that hurts when I do anything BUT run?!  (Apparently I have peroneal tendinitis, AGAIN, except in a more convenient spot than last year… that time I couldn't even walk.  Now it hurts pretty much all the time, but when I run it goes away after a few minutes.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

Interesting.  The increased blood flow might be helping the tendonitis feel better when you run.

bluerun

Super B****

I know, but you'd think if it's inflamed enough that it hurts pretty much all the time otherwise, it would still hurt when I run… not that I'm complaining that it doesn't, it's just weird.  And since I spend 99% of my time NOT running, it would be nice if it could not hurt then too.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

I think we established back on page 10 or so that you are an enigma of injuries 

Will run for scenery.

Hillary, glad to hear you're out of sugery and things are looking up.  My only advice - stay the F away from pain meds, as much as possible.

I thought I was "lucky" to score some Vicodin after a kidney stone lithotripsy.  That stuff took away my pain, my ability to digest food, and my will to live.  Seriously - the only thing I can think of that comes close is the movie Requiem for a Dream, or maybe Trainspotting.  Took me a week and a half to feel like I might ever come back to life.  If I had known, I would have stuck to Advil.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Nevrgivup

Day 2 post-op and I have only taken Tylenol. Smile I'm bored out of my mind, but its been nice to catch up on the sleep I've lost over the last few weeks of this injury. I am so glad I had the surgery so soon. Its definitely going to take time to recover but I'm staying optimistic.

Hip Redux

Tylenol would be my last choice of pain killers, honestly!  I don't feel comfortable with the safety dose ranges wrt liver toxicity, compared to other OTC pain meds out there.   But everyone is different.

No one wants to take pain meds, but managing pain is very important in rehab, so take it if you need it.  There are a lot of options out there that can work well for your situation.

I love oxycodone/hydrocodone, myself Smile  (changed it because I remembered the Vicodin has Tylenol in it... I asked for the just straight up stuff my last refill)

Nevrgivup

Bored out of my mind. LOL. Of course, I could be working on my schoolwork, but I've got plenty of time for that. I'm so glad its winter otherwise, I'd go even more stir crazy. Today I'm feeling even better. No need for even Tylenol. I will see how it goes once I start PT. Most likely will take an NSAID of some sort. Probably Ibuprofen. Very thankful that I have a treadmill, because once I get the ok to start walking more, I will be on that thing. I'm able to walk around the house, go up the stairs, prepare small meals, and take the dogs out without pain. Yahoo!!! I never ever want to have the pain I experienced last week ever again. 

So tell me, what did you guys do when on the couch besides going on FB a gazillion times a day? I really need to find the book I was reading prior to injury. It may be under the couch. LOL. The thing with this type of surgery is that you can't do any bending or twisting. I can't vacuum or do laundry either. Dh has been wonderful. I hate not being able to do housework the most. LOL.