Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

RSX

Ortho guy says I strained something in my hip flexor/groin (no, really?), PT for four weeks.  He said "try not to run".   He also said "you are going to need to rehab big time."  X-rays were clear.

So, yay?

I have a chronic hf issue (minor for a while). I would recommend seeing a chiro for ART, and preferably one who uses kinesio tape. I learned how to tape it (half as good) as my chiro. The injury seemed to start in the groin area.

#artbydmcbride

Ortho guy says I strained something in my hip flexor/groin (no, really?), PT for four weeks.  He said "try not to run".   He also said "you are going to need to rehab big time."  X-rays were clear.

So, yay?

"try not to run"  = running some is okay   Big grin

I have a steroid type injection scheduled for 8/12.   I guess this takes me out of official USA T & F contention, but may fix my pain, so Yay!

Runners run

nolamama

CQTM

I've run 1.25m in the past 10 days from a stupid shin splint. I'm really hoping it's nothing more but I'm starting to worry. I don't even run that much, geez! Just wanted to pout, thanks.

Ilene - sorry your USAT&F dreams have been crushed, but YAY for drugz and pain free running!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My current issue is still uncertain.  It feels like another pelvic sfx - like I'm being hit with an ice pick in the groin when I run - but it doesn't hurt when I'm standing on one leg, and I can hop on one leg without pain.  Last time, any time my leg was weight bearing it hurt.  Now it hurts when I'm sitting but not when I'm standing.  I can walk okay, but not run.  My muscles are really tight, so it could be muscle or tendon - but I can't tell. When doing leg lifts one day, I could feel pain at a point where muscle attaches to the bone, but I've done leg lifts since then without a problem.  I was able to run one day this week.  It hurt a little the first 1/4 mile, then I was okay, achy but not in pain, then it started to hurt a lot around mile 4 and I stopped at 5.  That was two days ago.  Today it hurt a lot from the start, so I quit at a mile.  I think I won't be running my HM in September.

Oh hey, this sounds way too familiar to me.  Stabbing pain deep in my groin when I run, but also achy.  I don't have a sfx.  MRI came back clear.  My best guess is that I have a labral tear, which can only be diagnosed by an MRI with contrast dye.  Might be something to mentally file away if you don't get any other answers.  (You too, Oski!)

Running is dumb.

So, yay?

If you can "yay" to "rehab big time", you have a much sunnier disposition than me.

I have a steroid type injection scheduled for 8/12.   I guess this takes me out of official USA T & F contention, but may fix my pain, so Yay!

I can loan you some clean urine if you need it.

So I think my calf strain is getting a teeny bit better, ever so slowly. I guess muscle strains in general just take a long time to completely heal. (Um, especially when you refuse to completely rest them.) I am continuing to run, avoiding consecutive days, and gradually increasing the distance. I still definitely feel it when I run, but not too bad; sort of comes & goes during the run, but hasn't been getting to the point where I have to stop. I am pretty much ready to be done with the PT, I have no idea what it's doing for me anymore (or what it ever did).

Dave

#artbydmcbride

I can loan you some clean urine if you need it.

So you will be on call, and go into the stall with me too?   Cool   Cool

Runners run

General recovery question: I am currently keeping my run frequency limited, avoiding consecutive days, but slowly increasing distance. Is it better to try to increase frequency but keep distance the same?

Dave

Hip Redux

General recovery question: I am currently keeping my run frequency limited, avoiding consecutive days, but slowly increasing distance. Is it better to try to increase frequency but keep distance the same?

I increased frequency before distance.   But then again, maybe do the opposite of what I say.  Roll eyes

Zelanie

I increased frequency way before distance as well.

I increased frequency before distance.   But then again, maybe do the opposite of what I say.  Roll eyes

Ha, yes, I think the Costanza method is in order here. If I want to know how to injure every part of my body simultaneously, I will ask you for advice. Wink

I suppose the main reason I am increasing distance first is just because it's easier. Always a hassle to go for a bunch of short runs; I believe you previously commented about having to spend more time on post-run stretching/rolling than actually running. And just feels so wasteful to have so much weekly laundry for such little weekly mileage.

Dave

GinnyinPA

Oh hey, this sounds way too familiar to me.  Stabbing pain deep in my groin when I run, but also achy.  I don't have a sfx.  MRI came back clear.  My best guess is that I have a labral tear, which can only be diagnosed by an MRI with contrast dye.  Might be something to mentally file away if you don't get any other answers.  (You too, Oski!)

So how long does a labral tear take to heal?  Can't afford an MRI, so I'm resting it until it stops hurting, but I have no idea how long that should be.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So how long does a labral tear take to heal?  Can't afford an MRI, so I'm resting it until it stops hurting, but I have no idea how long that should be.

They don't heal.  You either go through PT and strengthen the muscles around things and that helps and you live with it, or you have surgery.  My PT said that many people live with labral tears and don't even realize that they have them.  I've been resting for about a year now with almost no change in in my pain levels.  PT didn't help me at all.  I'm planning on getting the other MRI this fall, I hope.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Well, hell, that is pretty accurate for me, down to the clicking and catching!  Oy.   PT is in an hour...

Pain in the front of the hip (most often in the groin area) accompanied by clicking, locking, or catching of the hip are the main symptoms reported with hip acetabular labral tears. Joint stiffness and a feeling of instability where the hip and leg seem to give away are also common. The pain may radiate (travel) to the buttocks, along the side of the hip, or even down to the knee.

GinnyinPA

Mine isn't in the hip.  It's definitely related to the pubic bone - either another sfx or a stress reaction, or something to do with the muscles that attach there.

Hip Redux

So the PT diagnosed me with tendonitis/inflammation in the groin - likely the tendon that attaches the adductor to the pubic bone.

She said running low mileage is OK and to keep icing.   I'm going to get some "friction massage" the next session on Monday.  Sounds.... painful.