Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins (Read 31 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Not feeling to creative with today's title.

Ran 5.26 miles yesterday. Looking to get 7 in after work.

Scotty - your comment yesterday about my 3 5ks in a row made me laugh!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Philliefan33

Good morning Gustav.

Did four miles last night.  I'm sort of liking the beginning of taper -- I feel like I'm getting away with something by doing the slightlly shorter runs.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD for me.

Now that you guys are shocked, it is an SRD.  Race week this week so I have to rest at some point.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Gustav, thanks for the start and GL on the 7.

Phillie, taper madness, Smile , it drove me wonky too.

Docket, what are you racing this week? I'm doing another spur of the moment 5k, to honor Boston, and after working Friday night shift, I'm not expecting much.

I might take another RD too, or will get an easy 3-4.

Zelanie

Morning!  Knee wasn't quite ready for running yesterday, though I did run 0.5.  Today if I am smart I will walk.

Gustav- Enjoy the 7 later!

Margo- Enjoy the lighter runs!  How did your relatives'  race go last weekend?

D- The real question is, are you going to run anyway later on? Wink  What race are you running this weekend?

Mitch- Enjoy the day today, whether you run or not!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  RD today with yoga tonight, as I haven't actually put feet to mat yet this week.  Then up early tomorrow for W1D3 of the walk program.

Gustav -- sometimes the brain juices just aren't flowing!!

Phillie -- I love the taper.  I taper as often as I can, sometimes for weeks on end!!

Docket -- be still my beating heart!!

hog -- have a good day, whichever!!

Zelanie -- hopefully your knee will make you smart!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

One Half So Far

Mornin, amigos.

Feel suitably recovered from Sunday to attempt a couple miles today. Maybe three, if my legs hold up.

Next half in July in Eugene....it's called Run in the Country (Gentle hint at Zelanie Smile )

Also signed up for a moonlight 5-mile run in beginning of June...starts at 9:30 at night and the course is lit by candles.  Did it last yeat; it's mucho fun.

Gustav: GL with your 7.

PF33: You are...you're getting away with making your race time faster.

DR: Yes, I'm shocked.  Was not aware of you ever having a RD.

HFL: Good move on the 5K.  Thought about that myself for a moment, but my legs told me not to.

Zel: Last I heard, you're smart.

HM: Enjoy the yogas!

Have a good day, folks.

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wed is usually a non-running day for me but I'm trying to gradually build up to 5 days a week running instead of my usual 4 days a week, so I may do a short run today after work, followed by a weight training circuit. With my move to 5 days a week, I think I will do that only every other week to start out, let my old body get used to it again.  Really nasty looking day here in San Antonio, very humid, dark clouds everywhere.  Have to look at the weather report.....if thunderstorms are predicted for after work, then I may try to get out of the office around lunch time for a run around the university campus, then just work a bit late to make up the extra time I take for my lunch time run.

Good luck with the 7 today, Gustav!  Yeah, I do several 5Ks in a row, lol.

Happy tapering, Margo!

SRD, uh huh..what are you REALLY going to do after work, Damaris?  Weights?  Cardio?  Wink

Good luck with your spur-of-the-moment 5K, Mitch!  I'm doing - GASP!! - a 10K this weekend.  I don't expect much either since the last 10K I did was over 6 months ago.  I expect it will take me well over an hour and I  suspect that I will finish dead last, lol.

Hope the knee behaves for you today, Zelanie!   And hey, 'smart' is over-rated sometimes... that's what I keep telling myself, since I'm more often not smart... Joking

Happy Yoga-ing, HsM!

Good luck with your miles today, Jeff!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Margo- Enjoy the lighter runs!  How did your relatives'  race go last weekend?

They finished in 1:56Tight lippedx and 1:57Tight lippedx -- so you probably ran close to them / passed them along the way.

I'd like to do a race in OR sometime but it probably won't be this summer.  We'll be in Molalla for a wedding in July, but only spending one weekend in OR.  It would be hard to fit a race in before the Saturday wedding, and I won't be in peak form for racing on Sunday morning after staying late and dancing the night away at the reception.

Zelanie

I am still not sure when I want to run my next HM.  The run in the country one looks really good, as does the Foot Traffic Flat up on Sauvie Island.  Or I could wait a little bit and do the Eugene Women's Half.

To further complicate things, I was just invited to join a Hood to Coast Relay team.  That is very exciting, and definitely on my bucket list, but I don't know if it's something that I want to do already this year.  I'm sure it would be fun, but it would also be pretty exhausting and it takes place right before school starts.  It would be with a family from my school and some of their friends.  They are mostly out to have fun, there's a mix of abilities, they just want people who like to run and speak Spanish.  But I don't know if I should jump on the opportunity or wait.

Philliefan33

Haha -- i didn't mean to put those green sicky faces in their times  -- the times are awesome!  Apparently when one types two X's in a row, those sickies get inserted.

Zelanie

Wow, we were right together then!  I think it's the colon plus the x that makes the puke face.

Philliefan33

I am still not sure when I want to run my next HM.  The run in the country one looks really good, as does the Foot Traffic Flat up on Sauvie Island.  Or I could wait a little bit and do the Eugene Women's Half.

To further complicate things, I was just invited to join a Hood to Coast Relay team.  That is very exciting, and definitely on my bucket list, but I don't know if it's something that I want to do already this year.  I'm sure it would be fun, but it would also be pretty exhausting and it takes place right before school starts.  It would be with a family from my school and some of their friends.  They are mostly out to have fun, there's a mix of abilities, they just want people who like to run and speak Spanish.  But I don't know if I should jump on the opportunity or wait.

You should do Hood to Coast!  It's getting harder and harder for teams to gain entry, so joining a team that has a spot is the surest way to get in. I'm sort of hoping that the team my SIL runs with needs a replacement runner this year and she thinks of me....but they are all much faster than me so I'd probably be the last one picked.

good morning friends.

i did 5.25 this am. I felt pretty tired. I dont know if its residual effects from being sick on saturday and doing 17 on sunday. then t-ball games on mon and tues nights. My pace was faster than normal, but it felt like I was going slow.....just kinda an odd run I guess. Hot and humid may have been zapping me.

hope i can get some energy form somewhere Smile

make today great

T- Rod

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas