Beginners and Beyond

Hey Tuesday Penguins - You've Been Running Thru My Mind! (Read 39 times)

SheCan

AFM:  I started out this morning walking with my husband, intending to head out on my run after a mile or so, avoiding having to run up the first hill.  It soon started to rain, so I kept on walking with DH and Ben, in hopes that the rain was just a passing shower.  It lasted all the way home.  So, after 2.5 miles of walking in the rain, I went home to dry off, go to the bathroom and rehydrate.  After 1/2 hour, the rain stopped, so I ate a banana and finally headed out on my long run.  Smart move would have been to either wait until late afternoon or shorten the run, but I had worked out a 13 mile route and I didn't really want to try to figure out a new one, and thunderstorms are forecast for this afternoon, so I stuck to my plan.  The route was hilly, mostly just rolling roads through farm country.  I said hello to the cows, goats and deer behind the fences.  I tried to run at a slow pace, but found with the hills that I couldn't stick to my intended pace.  Going downhill felt so easy, and I had to make up for the slow climbs.  I really need to work on running slower on my long runs.  At mile 8 I ran out of steam and had to walk a bit after a big hill.  Then my pelvic stress fracture site started to hurt, so I stopped and sat down for a bit. I was scared, but it felt better right away so I continued, slowly.  I walked the next big hill, and felt completely wiped, so I sat in the shade, ate a GU, and drank a bit, then started out again.  I was able to run the next 2.6 miles, though it felt slow, then walked the last 1/3 mile to cool down.   I barely made that last bit.  I was dragging! So, my first 13.5 mile run is in the bag. Not pretty, but I survived.

WTG, Ginny!!!!  I can't believe after the whole wet walk you hadn't just thrown in the towel!  Yup, it's amazing what you can survive.  Just whatever you do, don't reinjure that SX.  But really, am soooo proud of you!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Agreed. I had close to a month at 30 MPW before I stated my training for my HM. I had done one 10 miler, but had struggled with it.

I think having the mileage going in helped me a lot. The first few weeks weren't much of a mileage increase for me, but it's amazing how much more it takes out of you to do mileage plus speedwork.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Ginny!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Yes, if I don't get pregnant before then Smile 30 mpw BEFORE training? Eeesh. Maybe I should stick to 5K's, haha!

I could use the summer to build my base up a bit, then start actually training when the "cooler" weather starts to get here. Food for thought!

Coralie, I re-read what I wrote and I hope I didn't come across as discouraging you. I answered from my perspective as a runner. It was important to me for my first HM to be enjoyable (i.e. I didn't want to struggle to finish). So I erred on the side of being well-prepared to finish.

SheCan

I think having the mileage going in helped me a lot. The first few weeks weren't much of a mileage increase for me, but it's amazing how much more it takes out of you to do mileage plus speedwork.

That is so, so true.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

RD completed.  DD visited, so we took her out for lunch which ended any possibility for a run, especially since they went for a bike ride this morning.  Hopefully we can get a LR in tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting.  Lots of sports to watch this week (NBA, NHL, U.S. Open, Cubbies).   DVR is going to get a workout.

.....Go Blackhawks  !!!!

Dad on the run.

Ginny - Last week I did 22, this week should be 24 and it increases 2-3 miles each week until I peek at 40 then I have a 3 week taper before my first HM.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Sloooow.

Coralie, I re-read what I wrote and I hope I didn't come across as discouraging you. I answered from my perspective as a runner. It was important to me for my first HM to be enjoyable (i.e. I didn't want to struggle to finish). So I erred on the side of being well-prepared to finish.

You didn't come across as discouraging, I want people to be honest with me Smile My expectations were lower than the reality.  I had been considering a half marathon next year in late March, as the city closest to us is organising a marathon/half marathon. Pieces are only just clicking into place with my easy runs, so I'm taking one step at a time. Even February, is 8 months away!

Bin Running

Ginny, you go girl!

Coralie, good luck with the plan, whether you decided to go for the HM or not.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar