Beginners and Beyond

The 2019 New York City Marathon: Race Report (Read 71 times)

RunningOnSand

I really enjoyed reading your RR! And holy shit with the post-race walking. 

From the Internet.

Anyway, I am not certain if that is where I lost the race, but dropping 20 - 30 seconds there didn't help matters. If nothing else, it totally killed my flow. 

Oof that resonates with me. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Congrats on adding NYC to the resume! Your training was SO SO GOOD and your mental toughness and perspective on the race are commendable! Nice work - even if it wasn't the race you wanted, it was still a steady, solid effort. (And might I add, revenge is a great motivator for the next one, lol).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My FB memories just showed me my post after my first NYCM.  It says, I'm finally in my room after walking 2-3 miles from the finish to the hotel, lol.  I feel you.

Damaris

LRB

I also sip at Gus.

I once carried a half eaten GU for 13.1 miles during a half once.

LRB

The Boston post-race walk seemed to take forever for me. Even though probably not much more than 1/2 mile - I was at the Park Plaza, which is about as convenient as you can get. No place to sit down during that walk of course, but a lot of volunteers asked me if I was OK, so I must not have looked OK. I would have enjoyed one of their wheelchairs, but I had heard that commits you to the med tent. And I just wanted to get back to my damn hotel and lie down. I ended up resting for a couple hours in bed, flat on my back on my foil blanket. Showered & went out to dinner, but I took the T. True the stairs were not fun, but I was not in the mood for much walking. Although I did a shit-ton the next day, despite crazy-sore quads & hammies. Took advantage of quite a few park benches though.

I sat down three or four times after Boston, I was in bad shape. Your post also reminded me that I would've had to have taken a subway after exiting the chute there, although I have zero recollection of doing so. None. It's as if it didn't happen, but it had to as my hotel was in Cambridge...

LRB

LRB - I'm late to the congrats but congrats! Amazing RR and the experience running NY sounds awesome. Hope to do it some day myself, but might be a few years!

You'll get there. And on the subject of doing nothing is sometimes doing something, I did not stretch once during race week, and only very, very lightly while in the coral. Nothing for the hamstrings whatsoever though. Just the hips, glutes and a little for the quads.

LRB

Sorry but visualizing this just makes me laugh

Laughing is allowed, as is correcting grammatical errors. Did your eye(s) explode?

LRB

congrats on getting the full NYC experience! You trained like crazy in 2019 and PR or not, that is a huge accomplishment. Like others have said, your splits look pretty decent, definitely not a death march (even if it felt that way).

Thank you. You know I actually feel like I learned how to race a marathon Sunday. That's an odd thing to say coming from someone who has run 6 of them, but I do.

LRB

I really enjoyed reading your RR! And holy shit with the post-race walking. 

And I walked 4 miles the day after, whut??

LRB

Oof that resonates with me. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Congrats on adding NYC to the resume! Your training was SO SO GOOD and your mental toughness and perspective on the race are commendable! Nice work - even if it wasn't the race you wanted, it was still a steady, solid effort. (And might I add, revenge is a great motivator for the next one, lol).

You know it, I am ready to tear some shit up next year. Thank you!

LRB

My FB memories just showed me my post after my first NYCM.  It says, I'm finally in my room after walking 2-3 miles from the finish to the hotel, lol.  I feel you.

Hurray for FB, you would've never remembered. lol

Thank you. You know I actually feel like I learned how to race a marathon Sunday. That's an odd thing to say coming from someone who has run 6 of them, but I do.

I've had good ones, where I feel like I have learned how. But then the next time out, I'll prove to myself that I have not.

Dave

Julia1971

(Cross-posted from the main forum.)

Great race report.  It was fun reading someone else's account of the same race.  Smile.

Congratulations on the great time!  Even though it wasn't what you wanted, NYCM is a tough course.

I'm not sure who recommends a negative split for the New York City Marathon but I think even or a slight positive is the best most non-elites should hope for.

Interesting that you thought it was too warm...  I had debated wearing arm warmers and at the start, was glad I changed my mind.  And, now that I think about it, I think a lot of people dressed for the Athlete's Village instead of the race.

Your experience at Mile 3 reminds me of why I hate pace groups.  I started at the back of the wave so didn't encounter that until the Wave 2 3:30 group came by on First Avenue.  By then, the street was wide enough to accommodate them.

Agree that Mile 16 has disappointed in recent years.  I think they are forcing the crowds up the road and First Avenue is wider so the sound disperses.  Brooklyn - particularly Lafayette Avenue and Williamsburg - are claiming the crown for the loudest group of spectators.

So, what's next for you?