Beginners and Beyond

TUESDAILIES: Business in the Front, Party in the Back (Read 208 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey running pals.  Great run for me today - 6 miles easy, then 6 miles progression (7:20, 7:05, 6:53, 6:47, 6:44, 6:30).  There really was no need for the last mile to be that pace, but there's just something about running the last mile fast that feels right.  I'll have to base tomorrow's workout on how I feel after I get moving though, since today was a good, hard effort.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Jess runs for bacon

Thank you everyone! Kristin, definitely check out the Strength Running ITB rehab routine (April showed it to me). I told my doc about it and she gives it the thumbs up. She also said core, core, core. I've been doing Slim in 6 which has core, lunges, squats, etc and seems to be helping a lot too (and it's low impact).

April, you should totally come! They are giving away a pair of Kayanos! I bet there will even more swag too. I will keep doing my rehab like a good girl Smile

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

PineGroveDave...Didn't really have anything to add to your other thread, but I wanted to wish you good luck with all that your dealing with.  It sounds like a lot and very tough.  Me suggesting that you get clippers to cut your own hair instead of going to get it cut probably wouldn't be very helpful, huh?  BTW, I'd never do that personally so know that I'm joking.

Docket...Pleadings out your ears does not sound attractive.  Small hairs are one thing, but whole pleadings...

Sparker....I like the covert wine drinking in the hot tub option.  Hope the rest continues to help you heal.

Lilac...Great news that you can continue to run!  It also must feel nice to know that you'd already been treating it properly on your own too.  Hopefully diligent treatment and lots of easy miles can get you through to Shamrock.

RunTom...Thanks for responding yesterday.  I forgot about your schedule being like it is.  I liked your comment about creating the plan and thus being able to change it freely.  Great job on the 5 miles and not giving up when the rain hit.

Kay...wow, sounds like a killer workout.  It must have felt good to get a nice sweat in again after a few days though.  I hope the soreness doesn't last too long.  I wonder if the instructor was taking out some of his/her own frustration on you all lol.

Hey running pals.  Great run for me today - 6 miles easy, then 6 miles progression (7:20, 7:05, 6:53, 6:47, 6:44, 6:30).  There really was no need for the last mile to be that pace, but there's just something about running the last mile fast that feels right.  I'll have to base tomorrow's workout on how I feel after I get moving though, since today was a good, hard effort.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Pink...I love your enthusiasm on here...always good for a smile.  You might surprise yourself in that you can do 10 on the TM.  It does sound awful, and is something I totally try to avoid, but think how super you'd feel plugging through it.

Code...6 then 7 sounds good.  Do you like fartlek runs?  I used to be embarrassed about speeding up and slowing down like that in public, but now I'm over it (plus nobody is watching).

Jedi...Nice work on your ladders.  I haven't been on the track in a while, but that's always a workout I enjoyed.

Basya...Good job getting through your workout, even if you weren't feeling it too much.  Regular encounters with protestors doesn't sound fun.

LRB...Bummer about that cold.  I'm impressed that you were able to drag yourself out for some mileage though.  I usually try to, but when I had this flu I lost 5 days of running.

April...Hope you're able to get the miles in without having too much wintry unpleasantness.

Scotty...Seems like the kitty has a good attitude Smile  Sorry about the cold.  The sun does make a big difference though.

Step...Looks like a rough start to your morning!  I hope the knee isn't too big of an issue.  It sounds like a contusion, but if you didn't do anything to contuse it, that'd be pretty weird.  Good luck!

Zelanie...Sorry about the tight hammie.  Dialing back definitely seems like the right call, although maybe all easy miles would be even better for it.

Nevrgiveup...Have fun in the pool!  Did you get a swim cap?

RMT3B...Hope you have a good workout at the track tonight.  Has it not given you any more troubles, and is there any chance you can run both directions?  I saw your post the other day about finally doing the recovery miles at recovery pace - wise stuff!

LRB

SIAR, flu is a whole 'nother animal!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SIAR, flu is a whole 'nother animal!

Yeah, but you'd probably still flip it the bird and go workout like a beast.  I was weak.

Docket_Rocket

Lilac, YAY!!!!!

SIAR, you know what's coming, right?  Sniff.

PineGroveDave...Didn't really have anything to add to your other thread, but I wanted to wish you good luck with all that your dealing with.  It sounds like a lot and very tough.  Me suggesting that you get clippers to cut your own hair instead of going to get it cut probably wouldn't be very helpful, huh?  BTW, I'd never do that personally so know that I'm joking.

Docket...Pleadings out your ears does not sound attractive.  Small hairs are one thing, but whole pleadings...

Sparker....I like the covert wine drinking in the hot tub option.  Hope the rest continues to help you heal.

Lilac...Great news that you can continue to run!  It also must feel nice to know that you'd already been treating it properly on your own too.  Hopefully diligent treatment and lots of easy miles can get you through to Shamrock.

RunTom...Thanks for responding yesterday.  I forgot about your schedule being like it is.  I liked your comment about creating the plan and thus being able to change it freely.  Great job on the 5 miles and not giving up when the rain hit.

Kay...wow, sounds like a killer workout.  It must have felt good to get a nice sweat in again after a few days though.  I hope the soreness doesn't last too long.  I wonder if the instructor was taking out some of his/her own frustration on you all lol.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Hey all!

Ended up doing an easy 3 for my cross training last night.  Have another easy 3 on the docket for tonight.

My running shorts that I had ordered came yesterday and I was able to wear them for my run last night.  I had just been wearing generic athletic shorts.  I was blown away by how much more comfortable running shorts are!!!  So nice.  Looking forward to taking them out for another spin tonight.

Last night I got to run while it was 30 and sleeting.  The sidewalk wasn't icy at all so it ended up being pretty fun to run in.  There is supposed to be similar weather tonight!

So_Im_a_Runner - great run!  You are incredibly fast. 

Kristin79kristin10185 - have a restful rest day!

Baboon - good luck at the doc!

Docket_Rocket - have fun at kickboxing tonight!

flarunner - I hope your 5-miler went well!

Can't finish personals because I need to get back to work.  I'll try to do more later tonight.  

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

In the interim, no running for you.  Right?

*sigh* nope. Basically it went like this... first noticed ITB issues following a glorious, wonderful 5 mile hilly run at the end of December. Could barely walk for a few days. After the pain went away I tried a run. Mile and a half and the pain was so bad I could barely walk the next 2 days, again. Took a full week off running, went a mile and a half and again--holy pain, Batman. This was on Saturday. I'm still in pain while walking and it's Tuesday. Looks like I need a much longer layoff than a week Sad. Will not even attempt a run until I can get in to see an orthopedic doctor Sad.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

*sigh* nope. Basically it went like this... first noticed ITB issues following a glorious, wonderful 5 mile hilly run at the end of December. Could barely walk for a few days. After the pain went away I tried a run. Mile and a half and the pain was so bad I could barely walk the next 2 days, again. Took a full week off running, went a mile and a half and again--holy pain, Batman. This was on Saturday. I'm still in pain while walking and it's Tuesday. Looks like I need a much longer layoff than a week Sad. Will not even attempt a run until I can get in to see an orthopedic doctor Sad.

One thing we see in the dailies all the time is that rest doesn't always cure the problem.  Have you determined what the root cause of your injury was, or did you sum it up to running on hills?

Better I Leave

Oh...Just came across this. Thank you very much my friend, it's much appreciated. Nice run on your part BTW. I can only dream of those numbers. Smile **as Dave runs out the door to go shopping for mom** Big grin

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Docket...Stop sniffing.  If you want a hug, you need to just say it Smile

Buchy...Thanks!  Everybody loves a complimentary bear haha.  Nice work with your 3 & 3, and congrats on converting to running shorts!  It sounds a little chilly to be out in them, but I'd probably wear them if I were excited about them too.

Kristin101...Wow, that sounds rough.  I'm sorry the rest hasn't been enough for you so far, and I hope you can get in to the doc and get some good answers.

Dave...Thank you.  I was trying to help my mom through a horrible version of the flu for the last 2 weeks and that nearly wore me out, so I really can hardly imagine what it's like for you.  I bet your mom really appreciates it though, so that's what counts the most.

Thank you everyone! Kristin, definitely check out the Strength Running ITB rehab routine (April showed it to me). I told my doc about it and she gives it the thumbs up. She also said core, core, core. I've been doing Slim in 6 which has core, lunges, squats, etc and seems to be helping a lot too (and it's low impact).

April, you should totally come! They are giving away a pair of Kayanos! I bet there will even more swag too. I will keep doing my rehab like a good girl Smile

I know you were talking to the other Kristin but I just had to say that this is the routine I came across and have been doing as well!  : )  And good news for you, I'm glad to hear it!

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

As for root cause I am not sure yet. If I can ever get the scheduling secretary to CALL ME BACK from the ortho dr's office maybe I can get an appointment (I've called 3 times, and the receptionist just takes my info over again and tells me the scheduling secretary will call me back. Yesterday apparently she was out sick and today she is "very very busy"), maybe I can find out for sure what he thinks caused it, or if it is even the IT band for sure. I have the fortunate luxury of having a lot of friends who are physical therapists and most think it's my ITB, but one thinks it could be a ligament on the outside of my knee or even a meniscus, and someone over on RWOL is convinced it is runners knee. My PCP said ITBS but he did absolutely zero tests, asked me no questions at all, and was completely rude and unhelpful....as soon as he found out I was a runner he completely wrote me off. It is very, very possible the root of the issue is muscle imbalances.... I have been working out for long before I started running but all strength/toning exercises I did were for cosmetic purposes and not strength. I would try to hit all muscle groups but I definitely concentrated way WAY more on my "problem areas" cosmetically. I think that may have created imbalances that are haunting me years later now that I have taken up running. Anyway....I really really appreciate everyone's support and advice!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Weezer88

Afternoon Dailies peeps!

Tried out my new Forerunner 210 this morning that DW was able to score for $55 (including HRM).  One of the better investments that I've made.  I'll wait until I get home tonight to download the data to Garmin Connect.

I AM WEEZER.