Beginners and Beyond

Iron Horse HM RR short recap. Good not great race. (Read 50 times)

delicate flower

This was my first time doing the hometown half marathon, and I run on the course roads all the time.  The course is gently rolling.  No real hills, just a lot of false flats and some rolling bumps. The weather was nice.  Low 50's at the start, clear skies, light breeze.  The temp probably hit low 60's by the end of the race.  I was hoping to knock a minute or two off my PR (1:32:58) and my recent 5K's and quality workouts seemed to indicate that was doable.

My plan was to keep the pace under 7:00.  The race started off good enough, but it felt hard pretty early on.  I just felt a little "off".  My legs felt heavy and the pace felt harder than it should.  I just never felt like I got going and never really got into a good groove.  The race is a couple of connected loops, runs on the same four mile stretch twice, and runs back through the start/finish area at mile 8.4.  When I crossed that point, I thought for sure I was going to really start to fade.  I was very tired and suffered a fair bit the last four miles..  The last two miles trend downhill which is the only reason I was able to hold on for a small PR.  It was fun the last three miles passing a whole lot of half marathoners still on their first loop, not because I was passing them but because I enjoyed cheering them on and offering encouragement.

Normally I do not take water in a HM, but today I drank four cups.  I felt a little dizzy and lightheaded when I finished and had to hunch over a railing, and then I got cold.  I'm not sure what's up with that.  I am happy that I managed to hold on and PR on a day I wasn't feeling strong.  Three months until my next HM.  I'll do better then.  Maybe.

1:32:50

8 second PR

56/1029 OA

8/64 AG

So not the time I wanted but I'll take it.  Crossing the finish line of a race is always a good thing.  Breakfast with the Oskis after the race, then I hurried my ass to DW's half ironman an hour away and was able to see her finish.  I saw a ton of friends today at the two races.  Finished the day with overpriced but delicious burgers and froyo with friends for dinner.  A good day.  Bonus was having  Oski run the 10K and seeing my friend Kathy run her first HM, and meeting fellow forumite Runwell after the race.

Oski is going to start charging me for pics.  This was headed down the finishing stretch.

<3

GinnyinPA

A PR is a PR.  Congratulations.

A PR is a PR.  Congratulations.

+1. You have been training and racing a lot, they can't all be your goal race. You've got bigger fish to fry anyway.

Sounds like a very good day to me.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Solid job right there and a PR is, well, a PR.

Rolling hills, meaning mountainous to me?  Got it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Phil, I know you're disappointed, and I understand, but I think that sometimes we have unrealistic expectations of what we can do. Can you go faster than 1:32? I'm pretty sure you can. But you have been racing a lot lately, after making a huge jump in your speed. Your body may have accumulated fatigue and you're not realizing it. Also, 50-60F is not the ideal temperature for a half. It's not awfully hot, but 40-50 is when we do our best effort. It may have cost you some time because of that. All in all, I think your running has been very impressive this year and you should be proud. 1:32:50 is a great finish time and it's a friggin' PR, something I haven't seen myself in a long time. I'm happy for you!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

bluerun

Super B****

I would say you're nuts for being disappointed with the result, but I suppose it's all relative, so I get it.  Still, a PR is a PR... and like I always tell myself when I get a smaller PR than I wanted: it will be easier to PR next time!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

congrats on the PR!  nothing to be disappointed about, in my opinion.

LRB

Phil, I know you're disappointed, and I understand, but I think that sometimes we have unrealistic expectations of what we can do.

The half marathon is a tough distance for me to race, effectively. If I do not put in a good 8 to 10 weeks of specific training for it and come into the race sharp, tapered and well rested I fall short of my goals/expectations, sometimes miserably so.

I only run the stupid things once or twice a year (and some years not at all) for that reason, but take my hat off to those who essentially roll out of bed, show up at the event and race it at their current fitness or better.

happylily

Since we're quoting people... Someone wrote this in my last RR, after I mentioned that I was afraid to finish 20 minutes from my goal time:

I say something like this before every race.  No matter what my finish time is, I am just happy to have the health to cross the finish line.  Smile

That was a good comment, I thought.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Since we're quoting people... Someone wrote this in my last RR, after I mentioned that I was afraid to finish 20 minutes from my goal time:

I say something like this before every race.  No matter what my finish time is, I am just happy to have the health to cross the finish line.  Smile

That was a good comment, I thought.

That person sounds like a jackass.    Don't get me wrong...I am not upset with my race.  I just wanted to do a little better.  Don't we always.

Thanks, guys.  I'm thinking maybe I've taken that post-marathon training cycle gravy train as far as it'll go.  I don't have another long race for six weeks and I'm looking forward to the break.

<3

A problem with HMs is that if you feel even a little sluggish, they're too long to just suck it up, but too short to chalk it up to race-induced fatigue.

Nice job regardless, Boon.  That PR will continue to drop.