Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Watch Out For Polar Bears Friday! (Read 18 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run/walk yesterday along my "Dog Alley' route at  Fort Sam Houston.  Took it nice and easy and treated all my canine pals along the way to doggie biscuits.  Ended up with 3.8 miles.   Weather was pretty nice, around 47 degrees and very sunny.  But also VERY windy, with about a 20 mph wind blowing...fun stuff running into it.

Rest day for me today, 5K tomorrow morning, my 9th race of 2015:

RED RUN Spa Day & 5K

access to food, fitness, classes, shopping, beauty, hair, makeup, medical resources, massage, nails.....as a runner/participant and you will receive it all. Enjoy SPA DAY services, run/walk the 5K course, replenish with tasty treats, enjoy workouts, shopping, and freebies provided by area vendors with special pricing for products and services...

Weather has changed for us now...'cold' front came in last night, we are in the 30s right now with a high of only 42 for today.  For my 5K tomorrow - start time 8 a.m. - 37 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of 34...yeah, fun stuff for South Texans.   Gail is a vendor for this event - she is a Scentsy consultant, so will have her products there - so at least I got free entry into this race, nice.

Today is February 27th...and the holidays for today are....

Polar Bear Day

Tell A Fairy Tale Day

No Brainer Day

Image result for no brainer penguin

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have an RD.  I might do some weights, though.  We'll see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning all. RD for me today. Heading out in the Texas blizzard to the Expo later this morning.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Scotty: That should be a good race tomorrow. Nice temperature. Are you going to bundle up a bit?

D: Of course you will do some weight. BTW, I'm on the maniacs page and it looks pretty fun. Definitely something I am going to consider in the future.

PAD: Have fun at the expo. I am super excited for you. DO IT!!

All other Pens: Hiya!

As for me, yesterday during DD2's swim practice, I walked a mile and ran a mile on the new track. The walking was great and the running was so-so. Now the thing that has been bothering me is a bit sore so hope to GOD that this isn't a stress fracture. I am signed up for a HM next Sunday and at this point I hope to walk/jog it or just DNS.  Sad when only a few weeks ago I was hoping for a PR effort. Oh well. My appointment is tomorrow so I hope to narrow it down.

On a brighter note DD1 is 6 for 6 on college acceptance letters and she is still waiting to hear from two more. We are so proud of that girl. She and a friend asked me to help them with asking of two boys to the Sadie Hawkins dance and they have this fun thing they planned. I have no clue what my part is but knowing those two clowns it will be fun.

Have a great Friday and better weekend.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!!  There was snow yesterday and my university closed (I think that's unbelievable, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth!), so I was a total couch potato yesterday.  I read a book, played video games with DH, and that's about it.  I did make it in to work today, woo-hoo, and I'll be good for our quartet gig tonight.  Then Saturday is normal, and Sunday I'm singing for the funeral of a lady in our church.  Which is sort of curious, she left our church because our pastor said he would officiate at a gay marriage if he were asked and if he were convinced the couple truly loved each other.  But apparently she still wanted him to handle her funeral service ... whatevs.

Scotty -- So how will you unleash your inner bombshell?  Inquiring minds want to know!!

Docket -- have a good RD!!

PAD -- have a good RD too!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

BTW, I found a new (to me) recipe blog that I'm really enjoying, so I thought I'd share.

Linky

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Jack, glad to hear (about the MM).  Hope your issue resolves itself soon.

Hope's Mom, with a name like Damn Delicious, you cannot lose!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

3-4 on the treadmill plus some strength stuff on tap for today. I'm having a massive first world problem right now: I desperately want to try the new Tempo 7 with Boost midsole, but I do not need another pair of shoes right now and I also do not like paying full retail for shoes. My other first world problem is the water coming out of the ceiling light fixture in the guest room, but thinking about shoes is more fun than thinking about all the repairs that my house will need after this winter (insurance will cover it at least).

GinnyinPA

Scotty - have fun at the race tomorrow.  Will you do the manicure or the makeup?

PAD - I'm excited for your marathon debut.  I do wish you had better weather for it, but I'm sure you'll do well.  It will just make you in more of a hurry to finish.

D - enjoy your rest/weights day.

HopesMom - I figured the snow kept you home yesterday.  Have fun at rehearsal.

Jack - good luck tomorrow with the PT.  I really hope they can help.

Lauren - get the shoes.  You know you will.  Have you called a roofer yet to look at your ice dam damage?  Water coming out the light fixture doesn't sound good.

AFM:  SRD.  We have an unexpected trip to MD on tap this afternoon.  Jim's son is visiting from Japan so the family is getting together for pizza.  Since we haven't seen anybody since Christmas, this gives us a chance to say hello to everybody at once.  Not looking forward to the 2 1/2 hour drive each way, but it will be good to see everybody.

PADRunner

Polar Bears have come to North Texas this week...

Expo canceled today, opening tomorrow 1-6.

Saturday Cowtown 5ks & 10k  canceled.

Marathon still on with delayed start Sunday and additional packet pickup times 5:30-7:45.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Polar Bears have come to North Texas this week...

Expo canceled today, opening tomorrow 1-6.

Saturday Cowtown 5ks & 10k  canceled.

Marathon still on with delayed start Sunday and additional packet pickup times 5:30-7:45.

WOW, Cowtown events canceled...those are VERY popular events..it must be crazy up there for those events to get canceled!

GinnyinPA

Gosh PAD - conditions must really be bad to cancel all of Saturday's events. Will they reschedule those races, or just skip them?  A delay for the marathon isn't all bad - you might be able to sleep a little later and it gives time for the day to warm up a bit.

PADRunner

The roads are a mess right now but improving. a couple of inches of snow on our bridges and things come to a stand still. It's improving right now but expecting sleet and freezing rain overnight., and turn to rain later Saturday. The 1 hr. delay will be good for Sunday though. Now if we can just avoid rain on Sunday.

No way to make up the races really they are really big events.  Not sure what they are going to do about the Challenge medals for running a race on both days.

Nothing to do now but sit around and eat carbs...

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Track was crowded this morning, so we ran with a women's running group to clear out the walkers.  They were a little faster than me,  but I managed to keep up with them. Sorry Scotty, no pictures.