Beginners and Beyond

San Antonio Road Runners Fiesta Mission 5K/10K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2027%20Fiesta%20Mission%205K%20and%2010K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 27th race of 2017 was the San Antonio Road Runners Fiesta Mission 5K/10K on April 23.  Part of the 2017 Fiesta San Antonio activities this race was held at Missions County Park.  8 a.m. start time, clear blue skies, light wind, and mild temp after a cool front had blown in on Saturday night. Beautiful day for a race/run.

Day before the race, while I was laying out my gear, this little rodent was up by the patio door eating some of the outside cat food and generally driving my poor cat Scoop into crazy fits, lol.

photo 002_zpsoiuo2jt3.jpg

Start time of 8 a.m. for both the 5K and 10K.  I did the 5K.  Arrived with just under an hour to go before start time and got some photos. I actually had two shirts on.  The 'top shirt" that is in these photos, and then a shirt that I actually did the race in.  Then after I was done, I put back on the dry shirt.

photo 003_zpswr1mtz9s.jpg

photo 004_zpsvi1w5qnp.jpg

photo 006_zpswae4vtxm.jpg

photo 007_zpshramcagg.jpg

These two are modeling for me the race shirt that participants got

photo 008_zps4tcd0sgn.jpg

photo 009_zpsh3lasflb.jpg

photo 010_zpsolghfoj1.jpg

photo 011_zps8caftpbv.jpg

photo 012_zpsxfyqnwxy.jpg

photo 015_zpswdceym96.jpg

photo 016_zpsrdfbbree.jpg

photo 017_zpsvcqzkyfx.jpg

photo 018_zpsbsfev7pq.jpg

photo 019_zpsvtdfooe0.jpg

photo 020_zpsiiljmkdr.jpg

photo 021_zpshmlkwdih.jpg

photo 023_zpskhnutdvz.jpg

photo 024_zpse3ayts9s.jpg

photo 025_zpsgv3kizgv.jpg

photo 026_zps6fqkmjk1.jpg

photo 027_zpsm6c4fyrf.jpg

photo 028_zpszm1czeat.jpg

Getting lined up for the start...a few more people than my 70-people 5K on Saturday...

photo 031_zpspzcq0vkw.jpg

photo 032_zpsil8wcd8z.jpg

photo 029_zpsiw9x77s1.jpg

photo 030_zpsu9gqf7va.jpg

Old Glory proudly waving for The National Anthem

photo 033_zpszehyomv7.jpg

..and then we were off!

ON THE COURSE

Both of the courses were out-and-back.  The 5K was pretty flat for the most part, with a couple of mild hills/ right before the turn-around point and then did those in reverse on the way back to the finish.  The 10K folks kept going at the 5K turn around point, so I don’t know what their course was like after that. This area is part of the Mission Reach section of the San Antonio Riverwalk, so the river was on our left going out, on our right coming back, only for a short bit for the 5K people, probably more river view for the 10K people.  I ended up with a chip time of 33:27, good enough for 3rd in my age group, so probably not a lot of guys in my age group, lol.

photo 034_zpsg6v28ty5.jpg

photo 035_zpsup4pb2ge.jpg

photo 036_zpssshhocbp.jpg

photo 037_zpsfdhywrmw.jpg

photo 038_zps0jqgemvz.jpg

photo 039_zpseusuzjma.jpg

photo 040_zps0palgrkb.jpg

photo 041_zpsl2kqymvy.jpg

photo 042_zps2hkadtqb.jpg

photo 043_zpsblqsxini.jpg

photo 044_zpshynhjoc0.jpg

photo 045_zpsn9cvozq4.jpg

photo 046_zps1fmlwhdv.jpg

photo 047_zpskz1pksfm.jpg

photo 049_zpslfoau8ku.jpg

photo 050_zpseps39dmc.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Drank some water, and then got some photos of a few people finishing after me, that I had been running with on the course at various points.

photo 051_zpsg1jlr9cd.jpg

photo 052_zpsjmbjq4v6.jpg

After that went to enjoy some post-race goodies, and then meandered around, enjoying the beautiful day and taking random photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

Athlete Guild folks doing the results as people come in

photo 053_zpsxdnaljst.jpg

photo 054_zpsjzq0gmhf.jpg

Ahhhh, breakfast.....beer and sausage wrap....

photo 057_zpsnfwdxs4v.jpg

photo 055_zpswg11zkdb.jpg

photo 056_zpst7e1hqvj.jpg

photo 058_zpslfelvo1f.jpg

photo 059_zpshuatisn3.jpg

photo 060_zpsm3lxbdxv.jpg

photo 061_zpshpfisdhy.jpg

photo 062_zpsyspibxxx.jpg

photo 063_zpsys5rj1m8.jpg

photo 064_zpsk428m8ji.jpg

photo 065_zpsldj69ajt.jpg

photo 066_zpsoxzh6aqg.jpg

photo 068_zpsekgaso55.jpg

photo 069_zpsxiezba9b.jpg

photo 070_zpsgne1diuw.jpg

photo 071_zps2ezbntym.jpg

photo 072_zpsxbphelmt.jpg

photo 073_zpsnzitfjfu.jpg

photo 074_zpsajcobioz.jpg

photo 075_zpsymhm1czl.jpg

photo 076_zpsbhubvpq7.jpg

photo 077_zpsocujanje.jpg

photo 079_zpspwvjydss.jpg

photo 080_zpsdmni9gkq.jpg

photo 081_zpssfhta66z.jpg

photo 082_zpskw679thd.jpg

photo 083_zpsubmadofw.jpg

photo 084_zpszfv9kp6a.jpg

photo 085_zpshv9bhy2b.jpg

photo 086_zpsgckvna9d.jpg

photo 087_zpsj4entvyt.jpg

photo 088_zpsemxomqax.jpg

photo 089_zpsfs55vmv5.jpg

My little body Rocky with his Fiesta hat.....I finally got him to look at the camera with a piece of sausage...

photo 091_zpslxa81if3.jpg

photo 094_zpsfey7gydu.jpg

Rocky and his human

photo 095_zps3bvtvo5h.jpg

photo 096_zpsihwfgynw.jpg

photo 097_zps0e3ilce5.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a popular SARR event at a great location so usually gets a nice turn-out – especially as it’s on Sunday morning, so does not compete with a whole bunch of other events usually held on a Saturday – and today was no exception.  Lots of participants, lots of fun, good course, nice post-race goodies, very nice tech tee race shirt, very enjoyable.  Definitely would recommend this one for runners/walkers to do.

MUCHO thanks also to all folks that made this one possible for we participants; the sponsors, all the volunteers, law enforcement out there for us, Athlete Guild for timing, results,  San Antonio Road Runners, of course, for putting on this great event, and everyone else who helped with this one. Events could not happen without all of you willing to give your time for us runners and walkers.    THANK YOU.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

How many races are you planning to run during Fiesta this year?  This looked like you had a cool day, at least - lots of long sleeves and jackets.