Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Seniors 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2030%20Seniors%205K

BEFORE THE START

My 30th race of 2017 was the Seniors 5K held on May 6.  Put on by WellMed, this was a FREE 5K for everyone over 60 years old, very nice.  There was also a 5K walk and a 2.5K walk too.  WellMed does a lot in our local community and this was one of the many events they put on each year. Race venue was Mission County Park, which is part of the area of the Missions Reach part of the San Antonio Riverwalk.  I live right by the San Antonio airport, so on an early Saturday morning, does not take me long to get to the park.  Got there with about 45 minutes to go until the 8 am. start time.  Since I'd already picked up my race packet I had plenty of time to wander around and get some before-the-start photos.

Me with friend Albert - a very speedy 70-something who place first in his age group

photo 010_zpslxqvowv0.jpg

Me with my neighbor, and friend, Craig, who came out to this race this morning as a volunteer

photo 014_zps0bqxomap.jpg

Iaap folks did the course setup, timing, results, etc

photo 001_zps3tbgvxaj.jpg

photo 063_zpswkyeplez.jpg

photo 070_zpsfxodkuy9.jpg

Lady on the left is my friend, Race Director, Brittany.  Before her current position with WellMed, she worked in the same department I did at U. of Texas San Antonio.

photo 002_zps1absjpaq.jpg

photo 069_zpsjspe96k0.jpg

My speedy friend, Ed, and his wife, Terry.  Yeah, Ed is in my age group, so when I saw him there, I knew I was not placing, lol.

photo 003_zpscmnsadhf.jpg

Others

photo 004_zpsekfn4vkk.jpg

photo 005_zpsnqwypnkm.jpg

photo 006_zps8apmni7q.jpg

photo 007_zpseigkeihb.jpg

photo 008_zpspvga7olu.jpg

photo 009_zpswqwratow.jpg

photo 012_zpsl5aufe2g.jpg

photo 013_zps8mgnxu4b.jpg

photo 017_zps1keqxuqa.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo 015_zpsog7yxvp6.jpg

photo 016_zpsshqutuj0.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Weather for this time of year in Texas was beautiful.  Low humidity, low dew-point, sunny, blue skies, about 62 degrees. Out-and-back course, starting at the park and then going on paved road in front of the park.  Very nice route, wide road to accommodate a lot of people and near the turn-around point get a nice view of the San Antonio River.  Some courses are done on the Riverwalk trail behind the park, with very scenic views,  but with a large race like this one - the RD had previously told me there were about 700 registered walkers and runners - the trails are way too narrow to get everyone onto and would probably create a safety hazard for some, so paved road it was.    I did my usual run-walk thing and took photos during my walk breaks.   Ended up with a time of 32:49, 4th out of 12 in my age group.  There are some speedy old guys, lol, in my 60-64 age group.

photo 018_zpslirwwogu.jpg

photo 019_zpsdixwl2hh.jpg

This lady in the blue shirt and the guy in the black shirt in the next photo, I was pretty much near for most of the course.

photo 020_zpsxclupr7x.jpg

photo 021_zpsvwmbaom8.jpg

photo 022_zps7n6p9vyt.jpg

This is a dog-friendly event.  There were even water spots for the doggies before, during, and after the race.

photo 023_zpsrscursg2.jpg

photo 024_zpsr1nbrl2g.jpg

photo 025_zpsrjltyowu.jpg

photo 026_zpslpcbc27x.jpg

The leader heading back to the finish

photo 027_zpsrggubbxe.jpg

photo 028_zpspuc5yn6u.jpg

photo 029_zpsx3o1qote.jpg

photo 030_zpsmjqrymky.jpg

photo 032_zps8xe9kfpu.jpg

photo 033_zpsobpemch5.jpg

A cyclist going across this bridge on one of the mission park trails.  I've done some past races where the route takes us over that bridge...and it SHAKES when a lot of runners are on it.

photo 034_zps5yqfebct.jpg

photo 035_zpsqwtx6pdi.jpg

My friend, Bert, speedwalking the course.  He goes pretty darn quick too.   The walkers started 5 minutes after the runners.

photo 036_zpscd4c13v3.jpg

A bit after I finished, I got  photo of my friend Albert finishing

photo 037_zpsjhn8g41h.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Where's the beer?  No beer at this one, darn the luck.  But some nice goodies, various kinds of muffins, bananas, oranges, water, and some of the local vendors/sponsors at this event were also giving away free stuff.  So I just wandered around munching on a buncha stuff and taking photos.

photo 039_zpscdjzdktz.jpg

photo 040_zps2sh2koac.jpg

photo 041_zpsutrffevz.jpg

photo 042_zpsw0s0przg.jpg

photo 043_zpslumbaozd.jpg

photo 044_zps1qj6jmxo.jpg

photo 045_zpsu11shp0y.jpg

photo 046_zpsatxcrjkx.jpg

photo 047_zpst80jtpcz.jpg

photo 048_zps1apmqvgg.jpg

photo 050_zpsubchar7r.jpg

photo 051_zpsadiariws.jpg

Found two pretty ladies to stand next to...I look great! 

photo 053_zpshljhppaz.jpg

photo 054_zpslw54fp8j.jpg

photo 055_zps37omqkhm.jpg

photo 057_zpsauqhe5hq.jpg

photo 058_zpsvphaaf2o.jpg

Nothing like a little Senior Citizen "boogie" after a walk or run

photo 059_zps3jifwo42.jpg

photo 060_zpsaznmvkmy.jpg

photo 061_zps7mjxuyml.jpg

photo 062_zpswdqfesnl.jpg

My friend Albert apparently needed a post-race quick nap...these next photos are 3 speedy old guys who all placed, and one slow old guy - me, lol

photo 064_zpsikoqyrt1.jpg

photo 065_zpsm2zfv57b.jpg

photo 066_zpsmpmq2zm2.jpg

The lady I was near to on the course for most of the way also helped with the award ceremony

photo 067_zpswntf7lwc.jpg

Ed and Terry placed in their age groups

photo 068_zpsnga5ciwv.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a very popular event - especially as it's free for many  - and lots of senior citizens of all abilities come out to run or walk this one.  Quite inspiring, actually, on the course to see some people walking with their canes - one lady even had a walker and did the event - or whatever else they may have needed to help them keep moving.  These are definitely never-give-up kinda people, all right.  I enjoyed interacting with a lot of them, lots of people with really good senses of humor, had some great conversations and lots of laughs.  A very enjoyable event, nice quality race shirts, and a good venue.  This one is usually done at a local area called Wheatley Heights, which is a nice park area, but if it rains the trails flood; and Mission County Park is also much "friendlier" for a race that has a lot of people - wider space to move around on - so I hope WellMed decides to keep this event at this park in the future.  Would definitely recommend this one to my fellow runners and walkers, definitely worth doing, and for a good cause too, as WellMed is a big supporter of senior health - shoot, everyone's health!  And, of course, next year, I am sure they will have post-race beer...at least one for me, anyway.  I enjoy my one beer after a race.  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt