Beginners and Beyond

Boston explosions (Read 319 times)

Buelligan

Hopefullly I will be able to channel the rage I feel into something constructive. I'm happy the people we correspond with are safe, but I'm devasted about the people who weren't.
    Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

That was nice of her.

My dad just told me I should stop doing marathons.  My husband was not happy about my two big marathons (Chicago, MCM) coming up but we'll be there if we can.

Yup,

My father called to ask if I had heard, then followed up with, "See if you run you will get blown up."

To which my annoyed response was, "Yes, also my toenails will fall off, my knees will break, my heart will burst, I will get run over and a dog will bite my balls off. So, what the fuck dad."

Docket_Rocket

My husband was worried, but he only said, if it happens again, you're out of the big ones.  Sigh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Peter Sagal (from NPR and he also has a column in RW magazine) crossed the line 5 minutes before the explosion.   His last tweet was "Hours after the event, and in another city, I am now, officially, losing my shit."    I think there's going to be a lot of people who haven't fully processed what happened.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My mother, who has complained about my traveling to Israel and about my running, shocked me tonight. She's infuriated by what've happened. She ranted about innocent people being targeted while doing something they enjoy.

Then, she offered to pay for me to register for the 2014 Jerusalem Marathon.

That is awesome.

Hugs for Hilary and everyone who was affected by this tragedy.  We will stand strong together!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

That's really nice of her Basya!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MrNamtor

No one should not do a marathon now. That should never happen. And this may sound flippant, but i mean this seriously - even in the event of a terrorist attack, your individual chance of being a victim is extremely small. So even the fear of this is not based on appropriate probability.

Docket_Rocket

This is true.  Unfortunately, a lot of people let themselves be afraid, which is what terrorism wants to achieve.  I am not scared.  Like I told my dad, there is a bigger chance of the federal building I work to have issues, attacks, etc., than while I run a marathon.

No one should not do a marathon now. That should never happen. And this may sound flippant, but i mean this seriously - even in the event of a terrorist attack, your individual chance of being a victim is extremely small. So even the fear of this is not based on appropriate probability.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rubybaby43

enabler

Hilary, I am so incredibly sorry that you had to witness the horrific tragedies that you did.  I hope you get the counseling or debriefing you may very well need.  (((hugs)))

Thoughts and prayers to all involved and all affected.

KLO

more miles = more beer

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I fly usually a few times per year. I live in New York City. I studied abroad in London a few months after the London subway bombings and took the subway every day. My boyfriend works in Washington DC in a government building. If I stopped to think for long enough about possible terrorist attacks I would be unable to function and do anything. It is a scary, scary world we live in. But we have to go on with our everyday lives. We can't live in fear. We have to take subways, and planes, and run our races. If we stop doing what we want and need to do to live our lives because we are afraid, then they win. We cannot let them win.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Nevrgivup

For sure. All I hear are sirens. I think I will call my therapist this week. Not ashamed at all to talk this out.

Peter Sagal (from NPR and he also has a column in RW magazine) crossed the line 5 minutes before the explosion.   His last tweet was "Hours after the event, and in another city, I am now, officially, losing my shit."    I think there's going to be a lot of people who haven't fully processed what happened.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

BIS

High Horse

I fly usually a few times per year. I live in New York City. I studied abroad in London a few months after the London subway bombings and took the subway every day. My boyfriend works in Washington DC in a government building. If I stopped to think for long enough about possible terrorist attacks I would be unable to function and do anything. It is a scary, scary world we live in. But we have to go on with our everyday lives. We can't live in fear. We have to take subways, and planes, and run our races. If we stop doing what we want and need to do to live our lives because we are afraid, then they win. We cannot let them win.

Well said.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

~Benjamin Franklin

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

B-Plus

Thanks Shirfan, D2, and others for posting about your resolve. I was back and forth about big marathons today, but you've convinced me that I should follow through with my fall plans and try to make it there next year.

For sure. All I hear are sirens. I think I will call my therapist this week. Not ashamed at all to talk this out.

I didn't get a chance to try and find you at the finish. Thank you for volunteering. Thank you for helping the victims.

tinman11

I'm happy to hear that Lily, LTH, Goo, and Nevergiveup are ok.

I was also happy to see so many people posting updates on our friends as they became available.