Beginners and Beyond

Boston explosions (Read 319 times)

slowrunningjulie

I fly usually a few times per year. I live in New York City. I studied abroad in London a few months after the London subway bombings and took the subway every day. My boyfriend works in Washington DC in a government building. If I stopped to think for long enough about possible terrorist attacks I would be unable to function and do anything. It is a scary, scary world we live in. But we have to go on with our everyday lives. We can't live in fear. We have to take subways, and planes, and run our races. If we stop doing what we want and need to do to live our lives because we are afraid, then they win. We cannot let them win.

Agreed.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Nevrgivup

I'm so glad that you are ok. Such a tragic event. So weird to think how exciting the day was going up to this horrific event. We will not let them win.

I didn't get a chance to try and find you at the finish. Thank you for volunteering. Thank you for helping the victims.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

I just wanted to stop by and send everyone my thoughts and hugs tonight.  My first thought when I heard the news was, I have friends running there!  I logged on earlier to see everyone checking in.  My second thought was, I have to get out there and run!  I am always proud of being a runner amongst all of you, but never as much as now.  I feel so much comfort in a crazy world when I see how runners, whom many have never met personally, band together in the face of tragedy.  I truly, truly love all of you.  Hang in there, to those of you who were there.  I am praying for everyone affected by this.  Was there anyone of us that hasn't been accounted for?

Dr. Cornsitter

I knew at least a half a dozen people who were at the finish line or on streets nearby--most of whom were friends and family. One was my sons father. I thank god they are all unharmed and thank god those whom I don't know personally, but in here is our little running world, are safe and out of harms way. I will continue to pray for those hurt or killed or otherwise affected by today's violence.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Buelligan

I've been running a long time, but I've never in my life wanted to race in a marathon. My long runs are gonna get longer now... because I'm training for a marathon.
            runTDC

I have been off the forums recently...but just wanted to say that I am very thankful that those from RA who participated and ran Boston today are safe.  My thoughts and prayers go out to those who weren't so lucky.  I just have no words for such a senseless act.  None...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teresa

Aug—Double Dipsea

Oct 9–R2R Grand Canyon, baby!

2024 goals- Run trails, race a few, get a little faster, gain some endurance, enjoy life…😊

I haven't been on here much lately, but I had to pop on to say that I'm so glad everyone in our little group is ok.  But like someone said, it is only now starting to really sink in.  I lost it tonight over the 8-year-old boy.  All I could think of was my own kiddo...

Hilary, I hope you *do* talk it out.  You have been through trauma.  You need to process this.

Beulligan, I'm with you.  I only wish my mileage and base were where they need to be to support marathon training, because I would *so* be registering for one if it was.  I'd love nothing more than to run Boston next year.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

MrNamtor

What  i don't understand is wanting to hurt people that you don't even know, and have never done anything to you. Why for any reason would anyone deliberately try to do this.

hog4life

Has anyone heard from nickshawn? He was supposed to be there today.

I read several pages past your post and didn't see a response. He is okay, post on the Margaritaville Miles FB page.

This kind of stuff just makes me sick to my stomach! Glad so many are okay and sorry for those that lost loved ones or got injured.

runningmum

AKA bear2009

While I am glad that everyone around here is OK, like so many others, it saddens me and angers me that this happened.  It has made me think twice about how to handle upcoming races, as my family are always present, and I could never live with myself if I endangered them.  But as mentioned above, that is the power of terrorism, instilling fears in us that should never even be thought of.  I have purposely shielded my children from this news (8&6) so that when they come to cheer me on at races they won't be thinking of this and worrying about their safety.

Thank you to Hilary, and all the others, who helped with this tragic event.  My thoughts and prayers go out to those who were not as fortunate as our friends here on RA.

2013 Goals:

1. Start, stay, and finish the year uninjured!

Docket_Rocket

I feel the same way, but with Boston.

I've been running a long time, but I've never in my life wanted to race in a marathon. My long runs are gonna get longer now... because I'm training for a marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

YAYpril - B-Plus

This made me smile. I'm not in any position to qualify for Boston anytime soon, but this is giving me the drive to train as well as I possibly can for my first marathon in September.

This. I'm signing up for a Full today.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Ball of Fury

This. I'm signing up for a Full today.

Monumental?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

My buddy's company is a sponsor for the Mill Race Marathon in Columbus - Sept. 28th. He tried talking me into it on our training run on Saturday. This tragedy just confirmed it.

Monumental?

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.