Beginners and Beyond

Inner ankle ache - baffled! (Read 70 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

I'm in my third week of marathon training (the race is 9/8). I ran 15 miles on Saturday - longest run to date - and felt great. 5 recovery miles on Sunday with no problems. Monday morning I ran 8 miles and that's when my right inner ankle started giving me a little discomfort - a slight ache with every step. I didn't run Tuesday, Wednesday I ran 6 miles and I felt it again. Thursday I did a double - 2 in the morning and 4 at lunch - felt it a little bit in the morning run but not in the PM run. Yesterday morning I ran 3 miles and it started bothering me again. I was supposed to do another 3 but didn't bother.

Yesterday I foam rolled my calves (I haven't been diligent about rolling lately) and I decided to go out with a calf sleeve this morning. The ankle felt fine until mile 3.5, at which point I just walked home. No discomfort while walking.

I have been wearing the same shoes (Mizuno Wave Rider 15's - I rotate two pairs. One is close to retirement, the other has about 170 miles on them). I wore the new shoes on Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, yesterday, and today. The old shoes the other days. I've been wearing this style of shoe since November with no issues at all. I've never had any ankle problems before so I have no idea what's going on. I don't ever feel real PAIN - just a slight discomfort/ache, so I can't justify going to the doctor right now. My insurance sucks. It never hurts enough to make me limp or alter my gait.

Any ideas? I'd like to nip this in the bud before I get too far in my marathon training.

RSX

That sucks. Look up calcaneus bursitis which is in that vicinity. If you hold that area and can make a c where the pain hurts it's a possibility.

If it is like a twisted ankle I have run with ace bandages which held it in place. Those I get on occasion but don't last long. Good luck.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Reading your response, I remembered that I did slightly turn my ankle on a rock during my LR on Saturday. I don't remember it bothering me on Sunday, but is it possible that a slightly sprained ankle would wait a couple miles to flare up during a run? I don't have any inflammation or bruising, and it doesn't bother me at all while walking or sitting around.

Hip Redux

I had something similar with my right ankle - dr and I assumed was the start of posterior tibial tendonitis.

Things that worked for me - ART/graston on the inner ankle.  Running on the opposite side of the street (the camber of the street would force my right foot to collapse towards the outside of the road - putting stress on the inside of my ankle).   And rest/anti-inflammatories/ice.

If it is something like this for you, I will say this was pretty easy to resolve and hasn't really come back.  So hopefully the same for you!

Hip Redux

I just realized that the link I have above isn't to PT tendonitis but to PT dysfunction - but the description is mostly the same (at least from what I experienced).

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks, Oski. That's what Dr. Google alluded to as well. I guess a few days off are in order. I don't want it to develop into anything serious.

Hip Redux

Also - the pain was never really bad enough that I felt I needed to stop running BUT after enough reading about people rupturing their PT via Dr. Google I eventually figured I should probably do something rather than ignore it!   So you're already ahead of where I was in that respect lol

YAYpril - B-Plus

I did a little bit of research and it said that it can be brought on by too many miles on the ole shoes. That was my first suspicion.

Woooo guess who's going to the LRS later! Maybe they'll have seen insight for me too.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Damaris will concur!  Cool

i tend to go too long in my shoes but I'm also about as cheap as they come.  Big grin

Randy

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like it's the shoes.  Also, you mentioned you twisted your ankle.  That could also be contributing to the pain.  Hope it goes away soon!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

There are a few tendons running through there so its kinda hard to pin point.  I have a similar discomfort and thought mine might be the flexor digitorum.  But the posterior tib is right there as well.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks, you guys. It might just be a slight sprain from turning my ankle on that rock - who knows? I got a new pair of shoes (Mizuno Wave Rider 16) and I'll take tomorrow and Monday off. Hopefully it'll be gone by Tuesday.

RSX

Thanks, you guys. It might just be a slight sprain from turning my ankle on that rock - who knows? I got a new pair of shoes (Mizuno Wave Rider 16) and I'll take tomorrow and Monday off. Hopefully it'll be gone by Tuesday.

I would suggest wearing an ace bandage or an ankle sleeve during the day since you twisted it. If you notice a difference the next day, chances are that you will be back out on the roads soon. I probably twist my ankle once a year, and next work day I'm wearing an ace bandage. I also run in it at least 1 day during those times, but maybe my issue is always minor.

Years ago I had at least 2 sprained ankles from playing basket ball in running shoes. That probably made me more careful in being proactive with those issues.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks, RSX. My husband has an ace bandage so he just helped me wrap my ankle. (I've never had to do that before!)

RSX

Thanks, RSX. My husband has an ace bandage so he just helped me wrap my ankle. (I've never had to do that before!)

You're welcome. When I first started running 26.2, I of my friends called me a running CVS. I have a box of all this stuff that I have accumulated, and still use some of them on occasion.