Beginners and Beyond

Injured Mud runners sue... watcha think? (Read 540 times)

Better I Leave

I participate in these events and they're a helluva a lot of fun. If I hurt myself it's my own damn fault...nobody twisted my arm to do it and it's very clear on paper and by the organizers over the bullhorn that if I don't feel comfortable participating in a particular challenge, I don't have to do it.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Stupid people are always gonna whine about doing something that results in them getting hurt. In this case, it's people running through mud and navigating obstacles. Not my idea of a good time, but for those who participate it's their risk to bear. How many people participated versus how many people were injured? If the number of folks injured was small in comparison to the total number of finishers, my guess is that they were underprepared, clumsy, or just plain unlucky.

RSX

I was in a class lawsuit I didn't quite understand for my dad's pension's plan. That $4 will buy breakfast at McDonalds maybe.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Double post

Angry

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I think mud runs are dumb, and I also think people who initiate stupid lawsuits are dumb.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

delicate flower

Idiots.

<3

I was in a class lawsuit I didn't quite understand for my dad's pension's plan. That $4 will buy breakfast at McDonalds maybe.

I probably would not have joined that "Class action" lawsuit simply because it only makes more money for the Lawyers, and I'd rather lose a few bucks if it would prevent a lawyer from raking in a six figure 'fee' for himself!

But... This is Modern American society folks!  Expect MORE of it!  See, it is like this.  Less folks work in blue-collar jobs making things, we have robots in the auto factories and the etc that can do most of that these days.  But folks still need jobs!    So, a larger portion of the population has to be employed in white collar jobs.  IE service jobs, and yes, lawyers + all that.

Add that along with this "It is always someone else's fault" mentality that everyone seems to have these days, and that is where the country is headed. (And we wonder why most kids these days won't take responsibility.  They are just following the lead of the selfish adults they see on TV who sue for stupid reasons and set the bad example.)...  ---Expect your local yellow pages with 108 pages of lawyers in it to have 216 pages of them a decade from now.

Sorry for getting so long-winded.  It just royally pisses me off when people want to blame others!   ---If you sign up for a race and get hurt in that race because you tackled an obstacle that looked dangerous to you, then suck it up!  :-))

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Trail Monster

The obstacle "was a slope lined with watered-down plastic that turned into a 15-foot fall into a ravine."

Umm, did they really make people slide into a 15 foot free fall? The Pretty Muddy and Warrior Dash I have done both had the slip n slide type obstacles but neither led to a fall. If there really was a 15 foot ravine that runners couldn't stop themselves from falling into I agree with suing. Falling more than twice my height is not something I would knowingly sign up for, not even when I was in the military.

If this is not the truth and what they are actually saying is it was a 15 foot slip n slide down the side of an embankment then I think they're just stupid and should man up.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Jess runs for bacon

Stupid people are always gonna whine about doing something that results in them getting hurt. It's like that idiot who sued McDonald's because her coffee spilled in her lap and it was hot. No shit, Sherlock. It's coffee. If it had been cold, I'm sure she would have bitched about that too. In this case, it's people running through mud and navigating obstacles. Not my idea of a good time, but for those who participate it's their risk to bear. How many people participated versus how many people were injured? If the number of folks injured was small in comparison to the total number of finishers, my guess is that they were underprepared, clumsy, or just plain unlucky.

I learned more about that suit. The water was almost boiling, and she had extreme burns that left her disfigured. Read about it sometime.

I think I'd need to see the obstacle to judge. at the Tough Mudder I did, it wasn't really dangerous. That is, unless you were acting like a dumbass. I saw a lot of that.

Love the Half

I learned more about that suit. The water was almost boiling, and she had extreme burns that left her disfigured. Read about it sometime.

I think I'd need to see the obstacle to judge. at the Tough Mudder I did, it wasn't really dangerous. That is, unless you were acting like a dumbass. I saw a lot of that.

They had to debride her vagina she was so severely burned and her labia had to be surgically removed.  The coffee was served substantially hotter than the industry standard and after McDonald's own engineers warned them that people could be scalded immediately with coffee at that temperature.  They had received hundreds of complaints prior to the plaintiff being injured in this case.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Egads. I guess I should have taken the time to learn more about it. I honestly thought it was one of those stupid, frivolous lawsuits. My bad. I edited that out of my post.

xor

Don't worry, it isn't just you.  I feel really bad for McDonalds' coffee lady because that story, or really the "how silly is this" apocryphal version of the story, gets brought up all the time.  And honestly, if this extreme race did involve a you-have-no-traction surface that dumped people out 15 feet above (I'm not sure of the surface), that's on the other side of my personal line of "they acted responsibly".  But I don't know the facts.  None of us do.  So it just makes good fodder for message boards.

15 feet of falling-through-the-air.  After being propelled down a slippery surface with no control.  Into... well, it likely was not a stunt man pillow.

If that's really what it was.  No idea.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

People need to realize that all of these races are ramping up the obstacles to try to be more "EXTREME", but the directors should also be more straightforward with the people running.  I ran Warrior Dash in 2010, and 2012.  I was really surprised at the difference in the course, and the obstacles listed online didn't match what was actually at the event.  The risk of serious injury had been increased significantly.  The water was deeper, the climbing obstacles were higher.  At the first one, if you were more than 15 feet off the ground you might roll down the other side.  Now, you might fall straight down onto another competitor's head.  That's all fine and dandy as long as people know what they're getting into.  Let people know in advance what they're getting into.  Have your waivers ready.  Have fun.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jess runs for bacon

Egads. I guess I should have taken the time to learn more about it. I honestly thought it was one of those stupid, frivolous lawsuits. My bad. I edited that out of my post.

You aren't the only one. I felt the same way until someone corrected me. It's a sad story.

MrNamtor

Yup. that mcDonald's coffee case, often held up as a poster boy of dumb law suits was totally legitimate.

Besides what everyone else has said about it, the expert for mcdonalds explained in part that 900 + people getting scalded every year by mcdonald's coffee was not "statistically significant" enough to justify the expense of re calibrating the coffee making machines. The jury disagreed with that.

Now if we could only do something to make them stop selling their shitty disease-inducing "food" to our kids...