Beginners and Beyond

Street2Feet Run/Walk with photos (Read 15 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today was my 10th running day in a row and still feeling pretty good.  This morning I went to a run with the Street 2 Feet program, a program that works with the homeless who are residents of Haven for Hope, a homeless shelter that assists the homeless in getting back on their feet, becoming independent, etc.  The Street 2 Feet run/walk program encourages running, walking, and getting active and provides a 5K training program for all the Haven for Hope residents who are interested, ending each program with their 'signature race", the Street 2 Feet 5K, a very good local event that I personally love doing, great course, lots of stuff ongoing, nice post-race goodies and a really very good cause.  Several members of our veterans organization, Team RWB (Red White and Blue) participate in these runs as volunteers, running or walking with the participants and encouraging them in their efforts.      The morning was a bit chilly for we South Texans, with a 41 degree temp and a 'feels like" of around 38... BRRR.  Even so, we had a nice little turn-put of volunteers and participants.

photo S2FeetRun1_zpsf5lq5egd.jpg

The course was done in loops around a paved trail at a local park, with everyone pretty much deciding how far they each wanted to go.   It's a nice little park.  I've lived here 20+ years and this is the first time I've ever been to this park.  Won't be the last.   The Park Service, though, does need to put a restroom or porta-potty in this park somewhere...we old men runners tend to need to pee before we get going on a run. Darn those old-age bladders and prostates!  

photo S2FeetRun2_zpsmxp0f0va.jpg

I did 5 loops, ending up with 3.1 miles.  After I finished, I got a hug from pal Roy, my 'man-crush' 

photo S2Feet Roy Scott_zpsaohakbvc.jpg

And then we shared a laugh...

photo S2Feet Roy Scott2_zpskyhjrpl4.jpg

Roy is one of our Team Leaders for RWB and a real inspiration for everyone.  He is EVERYWHERE for Team RWB, always involved, always reaching out, always supporting and encouraging.  At local races, he usually carries the flag for all the miles he does. He recently did a 50-miler - way to go Roy! - and is now thinking about a 100-miler.  A lot of what Team RWB is today - we are one of the largest chapters in the country and lots of members are quite involved in different things in the community - is due to Roy.  He is one of my personal inspirations and local 'heroes".

Me with a few more team members

photo S2Feet Scotty George Arturo_zpsnmc1dah4.jpg

photo S2Feet Team RWB Folks_zpsii3cjqux.jpg

After that, several of us went to breakfast at a nice little restaurant, where we got warm again while enjoying some great company and

conversation.  And I finally got to pee.     A very nice morning indeed!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I'm glad you had fun, despite the cold.  Not having an outhouse would be a problem for me too.  I imagine there were a lot of people just heading for the bushes.

LRB

At 41 degrees, I'm surprised people even came outside in Texas, let alone showed up to run. lol