Beginners and Beyond

Bad mood today. (Read 155 times)

They are taking wrestling out as an olympic sport.  I'm not sure what the olympics are if they take out such a great event.  It is one of the founding events and it is just a sad day to find out they are doing this.  When did the Olympics become all about viewing audience and money?  I thought this was a way to bring all countries together in a true worldwide event and not to make money.  I love seeing the small countries bringing in one or two athletes.  I've seen some events that I wonder how are they even in the olympics.  I won't mention them because I know the people who are in them work hard to do whatever that event is.  However, if you have ever wrestled or know anyone who has wrestled you know what dedication and drive it takes to do this sport.  It is one of the most physically demanding sports you will find.  It teaches so many young kids important life lessons.  Truly a sad day forme.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
    happylily

I also do not like that we are losing some of the tradionional events. I was disappointed when I heard the news about wrestling. :-(

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Chairman

"I thought this was a way to bring all countries together in a true worldwide event and not to make money."

No, that's just a feel good story to justify the host sinking tens of billions of dollars into the event. It hasn't been about that for decades, at least.  In reality, the OG are a tool for a few wealthy, privileged  and politically connected individuals to further their personal agenda. And of course, make some money in the process.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Docket_Rocket

Although I don't like wrestling, I'm sad to see it go, as it was one of the typical olympics sports.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Well if it is truly gone I have no plans of ever watching the Olympics again.  I used to enjoy watching them but this is leaving a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

• Sub 22  5K

Mmmmm...beer

I agree, very bad idea, it's one of the original olympic events.  I don't understand how it even came up for discussion.  What's next, the marathon?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

The whole thing is and has always been about money. We can try to convince ourselves that it has been about bringing nations together, but if you believe that, then you probably think that all of the nations of the world are somehow going to get together, hold hands and sing 'Kumbaya' as well.

Instead, get ready for Olympic Golf, sponsored by Mercedes Benz, Titleist, and Bridgestone.

When did the Olympics become all about viewing audience and money?  I thought this was a way to bring all countries together in a true worldwide event and not to make money. 

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

One of the articles I read stated rock climbing will be an Olympic sport, really?

paulski66

miscreant

There's wrestling in the Olympics? Cool...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

There's wrestling in the Olympics? Cool...

It is better to be thought of as cool and funny then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.  Cool

• Sub 22  5K
                      racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

How many medals did we win in wrestling again?

In transit, arriving on time. 

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Wrestling, specifically Carol Huynh and Tonya Verbeek, was something that I watched - those girls really kicked some ass! Cool

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

paulski66

miscreant

It is better to be thought of as cool and funny then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.  Cool

Wow. You BFers are witty...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

We (USA) won 4 medals.  Two golds and two bronze.

29 different countries won medals at the olympics.  Not many sports can claim that.

• Sub 22  5K
                              Love the Half

Agreed.  One of the things I hammer my students with over and over is that, when analyzing any issue, they should follow the money.  In other words, if "x" action is taken, who stands to gain and who stands to lose?  More importantly, how much do they stand to gain and how much do they stand to lose.  Thinking the Olympics is about bringing nations together is about like thinking the athletes on your favorite professional team are as loyal to the team as you are.

The whole thing is and has always been about money. We can try to convince ourselves that it has been about bringing nations together, but if you believe that, then you probably think that all of the nations of the world are somehow going to get together, hold hands and sing 'Kumbaya' as well.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).