Beginners and Beyond

Blood Moon Tuesday Penguins (Read 29 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice big fat moon out this morning and a 'blood moon' eclipse occurred in the wee hours of this morning.  One of our local pastors - a guy named Hagee - predicted that because there are going to be three blood moons this year that something 'catastrophic' is going to happen between now and January 2015.  Umm...good call....something catastrophic may happen sometime during a full year.

Crazy dang weather in Texas.  Yesterday we had some morning thunderstorms, lightning, huge winds...the rain blew out and the winds went up to 40 mph for a while. Then the temp dropped last night.  We were in the 80s only a couple of days ago...this morning we are in the low 40s, sheesh.  Our high today will only be about 68.  We have some mild weather predicted for all week, which should make for some nice running weather.  My plan for today is for some hill work. probably at Fort Sam Houston, as I have to go there this afternoon anyway to pick up my BP med refill from the medical pharmacy.

Saw about the North Korean marathon, half, and 10K on the thread last night.  Um..I don't think so.  Since I carry my camera and take photos at races I do, they local authorities there would probably arrest me for spying!  Oh yeah, I am SO the James Bond type... 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning !!!  2" of snow on the car this morning.  Doors frozen shut with my snow brush inside.  Off to work.  Today is my hump day.  Going back to O' Surgeon on Thursday to discuss the knee fix.

Sorry you can't make it to N. Korea, Scott.  It should be really fun there hanging out with Rodman and his friend.

Have a good one...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

'Morning !!!  2" of snow on the car this morning.  Doors frozen shut with my snow brush inside.  Off to work.  Today is my hump day.  Going back to O' Surgeon on Thursday to discuss the knee fix.

Sorry you can't make it to N. Korea, Scott.  It should be really fun there hanging out with Rodman and his friend.

Have a good one...

Sorry about the knee, Jerry.  Just what is wrong with it anyway...somehow I missed the specifics.  I feel for you on the knee thing, I have had 4 knee surgeries myself.   The good news is that these days with the more modern procedures your recovery time is way less than it used to be.  My first knee surgery - 1974 - I was in a full-length cast (hip to foot) from November to February and then I had almost a YEAR of rehab.  When I tore my meniscus in 1994, I had outpatient surgery, went home that day and they had me up and walking about in just a few days. In about 6 weeks I was running again.   Quite a difference!

From the Internet.

Morning Scott and Jerry and other penguins to come! Smile

Heading to the pool in a few minutes for a water running workout. I'm going to consider it a testament to my willpower that I can voluntarily take a few days off to make sure my legs are healed when I have a newly-revamped spring/summer running wardrobe - as of yesterday, between catching sales/clearance stuff and my mom's generosity, I've got 5 new shirts and 5 new pairs of shorts in rotation. It feels like I just had running Christmas and dammit, I want to go outside and wear it all! :P

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  8-11 tonight, depending on the allergy shot effects.

Count me out for North Korea too.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I have no desire to get anywhere near N. Korea anyway, but uhhhh, suffice to say, plenty of races on the 48 anyway.   Heck, I think they're starting to do races daily in San Antonio, no??  

I empathize with your knee Jerry.  I don't think I got the scoop on your situation, if you'd care to divulge or regurgitate the details here.  I do not like Orthopedic Surgeons, I do not like them Sam I am.....errr...not.

I'll probably put a few on the hamster wheel tonight.  Legs have been feeling like they're ready to go to the next level lately.  Might even get back to race-shape.

And nobody did a tax-day title for the dailies OR the penguins??

Randy

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Wind and rain here, and since Richmond folks have no idea how to drive, there were quite a few wrecks on the way to work.  I ended up braking pretty hard for one guy doing 50 in a 65 (ok, you don't have to slow down THAT much) and slid a little, but not enough to worry about.  Our quartet is singing for the Alzheimer unit where our lead's father is housed, so that'll be all kinds of fun.  Then we're going out to dinner to celebrate our contest performance!!

Scotty -- you would make a PERFECT spy, because nobody would suspect you!!

Jerryb -- sorry about the return of Old Man Winter!!

Lauren -- ah, the siren call of new clothes!!  Maybe you should've bought a new swimsuit?

Docket  -- hope the allergy shots are negligible!!

redrum -- my taxes have been filed long since and the refund is already spent!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Jerry, hope your knee fix goes well.

Scotty, our weather here made a big swing too, it's sleeting/snowing this morning.

I hope to get 4-5 later when the wet stuff quits falling. I'll get my RR done a little later too.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Sleet and snow... LOL!

SRD here.

N. Korea? I will if you will. Wink

tracilynn

N. Korea? I will if you will. Wink

Okay. You first.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Okay. You first.

No, after you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

No, no, I insist!

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Scotty - enjoy your hills tonight.  We are now getting your previous weather.  In the 80's the past two days, but stormy today and possibility of snow flurries tonight with lows in the 20's.  Crazy, but I'm glad the heat didn't stick around.  I'm not ready for that yet. Didn't get to see the eclipse thanks to the clouds last night.

Jerry - I hope that if you are doing surgery, you can get it scheduled soon so you can start running again.

Lauren - that was some runner Christmas!  Have fun at the pool.

Damaris - hope your MLR goes well this evening.  My allergies are starting to get bad as folks are doing preliminary lawn mowing and burning leaves etc.  while the trees pollinate all over the place.  I think that was a part of my bad long run last week.  As I lay in bed, I sounded like I was breathing through a bubbler.  No wonder I couldn't catch my breath.  Mine aren't bad enough for shots, but they do get in the way sometimes.

Redrum - I'm glad your return to running has gone so well.  Maybe time to try a short race?

HopesMom - have fun singing and dining tonight.  Be careful of the crazy drivers.

Mitch - hope the white stuff stops falling soon.  I couldn't believe it when I looked at the weather map and saw all the purple yesterday.  Hope you get a run later.

Jack - what, no snow in southern California?  Enjoy your rest.

AFM:  Storms here, so if I run it will be on the TM.

Singer who runs a smidge

I just ordered blueberry, strawberry, and tomato plants.  Winter be damned!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.