Beginners and Beyond

Race #80 for 2017 - Boerne YMCA Thankful Turkey 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.   

Slide show of photos only: 

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2080%20YMCA%20Boerne%205K%2010K?sort=2 

BEFORE THE START

This was my 80th race of 2017.  The Boerne YMCA  Thankful Turkey 5K - this is their Turkey Trot of the month as they are closed on Thanksgiving - was held on Nov 18, starting and finishing in the town square of the city.  There was a 10K and 5K.   Event supported the YMCA, of which I am a member.  Nice turn-out for this one, it is a popular local event. I usually do this one each year I can. Lot of fun, good cause, and lot of goodies post-race.  Boerne is about a 40 minute drive from where I live, but with ongoing construction along the Interstate 10 that gets me to Boerne I left home early.  Arrived with about a little over an hour to go to the 8:10 5K start time, got my bib and packet, and then wandered around taking some pre-start photos.  I was pretty warm for this time in November - even for us South Texans, lol - with a temp of about 68 degrees and the humidity and dew-point were pretty up there too, so no winter gear for us for today.  And, go figure, tonite a cold front moves in, so my race for tomorrow (Nov 19) will have a start time time of around 42 degrees.  Mother Nature seems to love playing with Texas, lol, hot for a few days, cold for a few days...good grief.

Town Square clock pavilion

With my longest running pal, Bernadette.   She has done 75 races this year.

Bernadette and friend...

With some fellow veterans. I was very 'orangey' today, lol, and wore my "turkey-dog' socks...

Whataburger sponsors ready for some activity

Camp Gladiator was on site too

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.

Volunteers got nice tech-tee yellow shirts.

Participants got purple race shirts, like lady on the right is wearing

Can't hold a dog's interest for long, lol.

If you wanted to eat before the race, the breakfast taco folks were ready

ON THE COURSE

The 10K folks started about 10 minutes before us and then we 5K folks took off.  Pretty much the same course for the 5K and 10K until we got to one intersection where the 10K spilt off to the left and 5K participants went right.  We finished at the same finish line, but i think they had a bit of a different route to get to the finish than we 5K people did.  Don't know about the 10K, but for the 5K, pretty much flat for most of the way, with a couple in inclines along the way that you really could not call hills, and they were pretty short.  Nicely laid out courses.  I found out after it was just a tad long, 3.2 miles; no big deal, all good.  I managed to finish in 33:51, which got me 3rd place in my 60 - 69 males age group.

My two buds did the 10K and he did carry the flag the whole way.

In the 5K start area....ahead of me and behind me...

And away we went.  I took two walk breaks during the race and then ran the last 1.3 miles in nonstop.

First walk break

2nd walk break

AFTER THE FINISH

Nice array of post-event goodies, including a very popular "cowboy breakfast" of eggs (scrambled, if I remember correctly) and biscuits with gravy.   There were also breakfast tacos of different varieties, and even some beer too.  There was also a fun photo-booth which seemed to be popular with a lot of people. I enjoyed one of those post-race along with a taco, and wandered around munching and drinking and taking photos.

YAY!   I am done and I made my race goals:  I finished standing up and there was no ambulance specifically waiting for me.  Always a good thing at my age, lol.

Back into the town square area.....for the after-stuff

Our MC - great job, sir!

With a fellow survivor....much better looking one than me, lol.

Oh yeah.....

Thanks beer folks!

Serving up the Cowboy breakfast

Two lovely ladies enjoying that Cowboy breakfast and taco

And the band played on for us.....they were pretty good too...I enjoyed it too even though I am more of a classic rock n roll and oldies guy than country music guy..

These two were standing out on the course - and they were "outstanding"  - as they cheered in the participants.

Thanks volunteer.  See you again on Nov 19, as you will be doing the event on that day that I am doing.

Now, THIS little lady...she is one lil speed-demon, lol.  She passed me on my 2nd walk break as I was taking some photos.  After, I tried to catch up to her.  No go....we rounded the corner to the finish and, wow, did she take off...she finished in 31-something, I finished in 33 something.  My speedy young friend!  Her parents are probably going to be very happy...college paid scholarship for all that speed.  I can't imagine how fast she will be when she gets older.  I will probably never even see her on the course, lol.

With her 'older sister'...   

Yeah, she placed..and her family too...way to go!

As usual, Bernadette placed - even after falling down on the course - skinned her knee a bit...but no permanent damage to the Great Legs, thank goodness!  

Third in my age group and big smiles with these lovely ladies

EPILOGUE

I really enjoy this event and it always gets a really nice crowd of friendly participants.  Very nice age-group medals, good tech-tee race shirts, nicely designed, lost of post-race goodies and vendor freebies, photo-booth, Whataburger company had a spin-wheel game, a band performing live music for us, and there was a Kids Run at 9 a.m.  Lots of stuff going on at this one. And convenient for me too; as a member of the Y, I was able to go to the local Y and take a shower and change clothes before going home, so I didn't have to drive home wet. Definitely will do this one again in the future and would recommend it to others.

MUCHO thanks to all the people who made this one happen for all we participants;  all the volunteers, law enforcement out there for us, YMCA staff, vendors, sponsors, the citizens of Boerne for their patience as we invaded their roads for a few hours, etc.  Apologies if I missed anyone.  Without all of you, no race for us, so thank you very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt