Beginners and Beyond

Windy Wednesday Penguins! (Read 26 times)

Bin Running

RD for me today.. My guide 6 is here.. I ordered 1/2 side bigger and see how I like it.. (Learned this from Mel's experience on her Kinvara)

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

This is one expensive 'cup of coffee' for Starbucks!

Starbucks to pay $2.76B - An arbitrator has concluded that Starbucks must pay $2.76 billion to settle a dispute with Kraft over coffee distribution.  The two consumer products companies had been locked in a fight for three years after Starbucks Corp. fired Kraft as its distributor of packaged coffee to grocery chains.   The arbitrator determined that Starbucks must pay $2.23 billion in damages and $527 million in attorney fees, Starbucks and Mondelez said Tuesday.   Deerfield, Ill.-based Mondelez International Inc., which spun off Kraft Foods Group in October 2012, will get the award. Mondelez, whose brands include Cadbury, Oreo and Tang, said that it plans use the money left after expenses and taxes to buy back stock.  Kraft began exclusively marketing Starbucks roasted and grounded coffee in stores in 1998 and renegotiated the contract in 2004. The contract was set to expire in 2014. But in November 2010, Starbucks told Kraft it was severing its agreement with Kraft. Kraft initiated arbitration proceedings to challenge the termination. The two officially separated in March 2011.   http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/article/Starbucks-to-pay-2-76B-in-coffee-spat-with-Kraft-4978472.php

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Obiebyke - you had asked what the winter running challenge is a few days back - it's a "game" to help encourage running during the winter. It uses time, temperature, and weather - rain, snow, etc. I think it's on both RWOL and RA. I think it starts in December.

Jack - I totally understand your training fatigue. I did back to back 5k plans, and while it isn't as taxing as a marathon plan, I am glad it's over. I do like doing all the parts of a plan - intervals, tempos, LT, etc. - but sometimes I don't want to be tied to a plan and just run.

Tracilynn - How long have you had the shin splints now? Do you think maybe just stopping everything for a while, say a month, and just let everything settle out and heal might help? I hate to see you going thru such a struggle like this. That is an outrageous cost for PT. The whole health insurance thing is a mess. I don't think the cost of insurance is the issue - it's the cost of the medical services. If you take your car for a brake job the price is on the wall. If you go for PT what you pay is different than what I pay,etc. If you ask for the price of a medical service you are told "we have to see what your insurance covers". Sounds discriminatory to me. When I first started running I was doing a lot of the shin splint routine because I didn't want to get them. Something started to hurt in my feet and the podiatrist told me I was doing to much - I was basically walking on my heels and toes for a good part of the day. My thinking was if a set of 15 is good than multiple sets of 50 would be better - it turns out I was over doing it.

Ive had shin splints off and on for a year now.

I took 2.5 months off in mid january for bad shin splints and peroneal tendon (ankle) and the shin splints just crept back up again.

You are right about the cost of PT!! Actually my insurance did cover a good bit.  Each PT appt billed my insurance approx $500 and I had to pay about $100 per visit.  I asked them for an itemized bill and there is a charge of $172.oo for "therapeutic exercise" and I asked them what that was and it was for 10 mins on the stationary bike!!!!  That's just insane.

There was also a charge on my last PT appt for "neuromuscular reeducation" for $76 and it was for a sheet of paper with some stretches and exercises I was supposed to do.  This was when I had ITBs.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Had to go in early today, so MLR on tap for this evening.  Might hit up the trail with my new MT110s if they get here in time. Smile

Hope everyone is having a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

SheCan

Good morning everyone!

Gustav-- great job on a cold windy day!

Awood-- 50 pushups.... no wonder you've got so buff!

PAD-- yes... Smile

Mitch-- glad the foot is doing better!

Obie-- good luck on the 4 tonight.  No nappin until it's DONE!

Jack-- 89* seriously?  Wow, that's way too warm for this time of year, and for any decent training.  Good luck with your tough run tonight.

Scotty-- that is cold!   Wind must be blowing there too.  Glad you were able to get some cool miles in.

Docket-- *waves*  hope your day isn't too bad!

Phillie-- Probably if I had a TM here at the house, I'd "whimp" out a lot more often too.  Good job for at least getting your runs in.  Hope you're feeling good for your race on Sunday.  60* high for a HM should be really nice, as long as the wind and the rain behave.

Zelanie-- enjoy your rest day.  Congrats to DD!

HsM-- glad youre doing at least somewhat better.  Yesterday did not sound pleasant.

Bin-- Hi ya!  I always get my running shoes a 1/2 size bigger then my street shoes. BUT, I also change out the insoles for a Dr. Shoales sports insole.

tracilynn-- those costs are absolutely insane!  So it's not only a physical burden, it's also a financial burden to deal with shin splints.  Sad  I feel so badly for you having to deal with this constantly.

Dave-- you just sounds so excited and happy about your runs.  I wish you could bottle some of that enthusiasm for the rest of us when we're having off days!

I ended up doing a super easy (as in slow wasn't as easy as it shoulda been though!) 8 miles today.  It was a frigid 56* and windy when I started, so I wore a light jacket.  I ended up feeling really nauseous and sweaty by the time I finished, though it was still cold.  It was kinda weird, but I'm feeling much better now.

Also, i wanted to tell everyone on this thread, that I think all of you seem like super nice, nice people.  And I realize I sometimes have opinions that are probably obnoxious to some, but i so hope I don't offend y'all.  Its never been my desire to diminish anyone on this forum.  Some of the threads get a little touchy, and I thought I'd just like to throw this out there.  Hope y'all have a great day!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Amazonian Princess

Polynesian paralysis set in - too much great Hawaiian food and too many umbrella drinks so now I may need to be mechanically separated from the chaise lounge.

Back to the real world tomorrow, waaahhh!Cry

I can. I will. I am. 

Dad on the run.

Traci - Sorry you are having so many problem. You always seem to be dealing with one injury or another. Have the Hokas not helped any? Perhaps you should start going all Van Dam and just start kicking bamboo cane with your bare shins until your shins become "hard like diamond"? Then run Smile

AFM - Day 3 no running - Did Jillian Michaels 30 DS shred last night followed with leg lifts, front and side planks and some kettle bell core work. Also stretched, rolled and iced the leg. This morning was arm day, Bis and Tris.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: Seriously? I can't think of one time that you posted anything even MILDLY offensive. Then again, nothing much offends me, so...  Wink

Traci: Do you run hilly routes very often?

Dad on the run.

She Can - No worries about offending me, everyone has a right to say, do, act, believe or whatever, however they see fit. I think your cool regardless what ya say Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

tracilynn

cherie, offensive???? you're like the nicest person in the whole wide world.

jack, I almost never run hills.  Should I run more hills? There may be one small hill on each of my runs.

I ran 4.5m with a mile of that on trails. I wore my Berry Super feet orthotics in the Hokas.  I guess Im gonna try these awhile then maybe move back up to my prescription orthotics.

The hokas aren't really helping but I do love them.  They are my favoritist shoes Smile

~~~~~~~

Traci

on my way to badass

Cherie is right, ya'll are a really nice bunch!

It got down into the teens overnight. It's supposed to warm right back up to the 40's over the next couple of days.  40's is still shorts weather around here.

Yesterday I had a headwind going uphill.

X-training today.  Not sure what I want to do for that.  Probably planks et al.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Traci: good! Stay off the hills!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

She Can - No way you could offend this guy.  You rock.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

tracilynn

I'm offended that you think we may be offended

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Cherie, no getting offended here either. Not sure what could give you that idea. If someone did give you that idea, you just let us know who it is, and we'll go over there and open a can of whoopazzz on them Penguin style. Big grin You are one of the nicest people ever on this thread, and I luv ya for it.