Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday, Morning Penguins! (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Your legs will forgive you...eventually."

PADRunner

Morning Penguins, 6 this morning maybe gym tonight.

obiebyke

Morning, PAD! Hope your almost 10K goes well. I'm amazed that you'll go to the gym tonight, too! C25K W2D2 on tap tonight. I signed up for a Turkey Trot 5K last night. Not planning to race it, but it was fun last year with great swag.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

hog4life

I've been a little MIA due to anniversary/vacation. I finished another half on Sat and got a HUGE medal. We did lots of hiking on this trip too. Hopefully I'll get out for a few tonight.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6-7 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

obie- Having an event to look forward to sounds like a great idea!

Probably run a few after work tonight.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  Not quite as cold this morning, but I'm still wearing a sweater.  It's like we're hitting fall with a vengeance!  At least the mums I bought are looking happy with the weather.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!

Lauren -- I'm actually asking what instrument you're running.  Professional curiosity!

PAD -- Woo-hoo for your 6!!

obie -- Have a good W2D2!  I like races with good swag, especially if I don't have to take them seriously!!

hog -- anniversary and vacation are wonderful!!  

Docket -- have a good 6-7!!

Zelanie -- have a good probable few!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Hi Penguins!!  Not quite as cold this morning, but I'm still wearing a sweater.  It's like we're hitting fall with a vengeance!  At least the mums I bought are looking happy with the weather.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!

Lauren -- I'm actually asking what instrument you're running.  Professional curiosity!

PAD -- Woo-hoo for your 6!!

obie -- Have a good W2D2!  I like races with good swag, especially if I don't have to take them seriously!!

hog -- anniversary and vacation are wonderful!!  

Docket -- have a good 6-7!!

Zelanie -- have a good probable few!!

Oh gotcha, haha. It is an 8-channel liquid dilution olfactometer.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! So tired today. Will be tough to get out both tomorrow and Friday so I'll probably fit in a few easy miles this afternoon and take tomorrow off.

on my way to badass

Good Wednesday Penguins!   My legs have now forgiven me for their torture on Sunday.  I shall endeavor to get at least 3 done later.

Thanks for starting us off PAD.  6 miles sounds ambitious to me right now.

Obie- Congrats on all your progress.  A Turkey Trot sounds like a lot of fun.

Mitch- Congrats on the anniversary!

Damaris- Enjoy the miles!

Zelanie- Taper madness yet?

HsM- Hope you have a good rehearsal tonight.

Lauren- Sorry about the fritzy equipment.  All that stress would tire me right out.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh gotcha, haha. It is an 8-channel liquid dilution olfactometer.

That is too cool for words.  How can you tell when the mice can smell it?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

PAD - good job on the early 6.  Have fun at the gym, if you go.

obiebyke - I bet it's a lot easier doing c25k second time around.  At least this time, you know you can do the distance.  When I've come back from injury, I didn't have the patience to start from scratch, though I probably should have.

Mitch - will you do a race report for your HM?  Where did you end up hiking?  Welcome back.

Damaris - enjoy your evening run.  Did all the rain cool things off at all?

Z - you don't sound sure.  Doesn't your plan specify how much you taper?

HopesMom - have fun at rehearsal.  I hope you get a walk at lunch, to take advantage of the cool weather.

Lauren - I'm sorry to hear about the frustration you're having with your equipment.  I hope it gets fixed soon.

Stonefence - I'm glad your legs are feeling better.  Take it slow and easy for the next couple of weeks.  You may not enjoy tonight, but your legs will thank you later.

AFM:  another cool day, but grey with a good chance of rain.  I'll do 3 or 4 later.

From the Internet.

HsM - It's part of the task - two odors or mixtures of odors are presented through a nose poke hole. In a given session, the mouse will smell each of those two odors an equal number of times but the order in which they smell them is randomized. One odor is paired with a water reward so if they smell that one, they lick at a port and get their reward. If they smell the odor that's not paired with a reward, they're just supposed to pull their nose out of the hole without licking at the port. They typically start off trying to get a reward for every trial and gradually learn which odor is which over the course of the session (200 trials).

It seems to be working again! I have a mouse doing a task right now to test it out.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Cooler weather, cooler weather!  Yeah!  For my last  2 runs I thought about Damaris and felt sorry for her in her weather...for about a minute...then I went back to enjoying mine!

• Hills after work yesterday at Fort Sam Houston.  Ended up with 3.5 miles of them.  5 PM start.  The weather got a little warmer than anticipated - 89 degrees - but the flippin' dew-point was only FIFTY-FIVE and the humidity was just 35%.  Felt wonderful!
                              • Have the day off today.  So instead of my usual 4 a.m. morning run on a workday, I slept in and then went to my favorite park at 8 a.m. The weather?  SIXTY-THREE wonderful low degrees!  "Crisp" air, very low humidity and dewpoint, it felt absolutely GREAT!  I started out on my trail run, thinking 3 - 4 miles, but I felt so good out there and Mother Nature was being so kind, I decided I would just keep going.  I figured what the heck, what's the worse that will happen? I get tired and end up walking a couple miles, no big deal.   But I surprised myself, that did not happen.  I ended up doing the whole trail loop with a steady run/walk (8 minutes running/2 min walk breaks) .  Ended up with 6 miles in 1:08:27.  Not speedy by a long shot, but nice and steady and I felt great about it...I haven't  done six miles since last April when I did a 10K event then.  So being able to do this 6 and still feel good at the end - tired, but in a "good way' tired - was a very nice mental boost and a sign that my running seems to be getting stronger again.  I'm sure it also doesn't hurt that I am under 200 lbs again, first time in a long while. Very nice run/walk today!  And I LOVE this trail, it has a bit of everything, nice flat soft-dirt parts, some challenging rocky areas, a couple of uphills, a couple of downhills..and all winding and twisting underneath beautiful shade trees and passing by wildlife - mainly deer, they were out in force this morning.  At one point I got to a trail intersection and a big ole deer with a headful of antlers was right in the middle of it.  I stopped, he raised his head, and we just looked at each other.  I was so close I could almost touch him.  I stood stock-still, held my hand straight out, and being as motionless as possible.  His head and neck leaned forward, he gave it a sniff for a few seconds, shook his head like "Uggg, human smell!", lol,  and then he moved off into the brush. So cool!  I continued on my way.  The rest of the way only met a few doggies that I gave treats to.  One of my best outings ever!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hope your 6 went well, PAD.  Happy gym-time tonite!

Way to sign up for a turkey trot, obiebyke, those things are always so much fun!  My problem here in San Antonio is there are about five or six of them so it's hard to decide which one to do, all of them are great.  This year - no problem.  I will be in Washington State for Thanksgiving and there is only one in Gail's home-town.  So that one is it.  Did it a couple of years ago...and it SNOWED on me!   Dang!  Weather shock for a South Texas guy! 

Welcome back home, Mitch! Sounds like you had a great anniversary/vacation!

Good luck with the 7 tonite Damaris...in the heat....I'll sit outside in my 79 degree weather today at  your running time and think good thoughts for you.

"Run a few" for you, Zelanie, would be equal to what...about 5 to 8 miles?   A few for me would be like...1-2, since my main run is usually about 3 miles or so.

Gee, HsM, how many Mums do you have...are you adopted or something?   Enjoy that weather!

Lauren, hope your miles go well for you, and that you get some rest and get all rejuvenated.

Glad your legs are happy again, StoneFence!  Maybe after your 3 today, you could jump into some cold water and make them really happy.

Happy miles to you, Ginny!  Can be fun running in rain, long as it's not a cold rain and there is no lightning.  If it rains, have fun with it!  Splash, jump in puddles, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt