Beginners and Beyond

Wet Weekend Penguins (Read 14 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

Another gray drizzly day here. I feel for all the people who are doing races this weekend.  It's the kind of day that makes you want to curl up with a book or movie and a pot of tea - not head out into the damp. Still, I'll probably do both.  I'm planning of another 6 or so this afternoon, on my hilly route if it's not raining or the TM if it is.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  We have a hurricane barring towards us so it's sunny now but it's been storming since yesterday.

I went to Pilates and Barre classes already.  I might run tonight, but might not.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Buelligan

My back is killing me.   I can't even waddle right now.

Docket_Rocket

My back is killing me.   I can't even waddle right now.

Sad

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Ran my first trail race this morning. 10K Finished somewhere in the middle around 1:28. Sly ran and finished 2nd overall. Beautiful morning for a race on the trails.

Docket_Rocket

That's awesome, PAD and Sly!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Buelligan, sorry.  Is it from the running, do you think?

Congrats, PAD and Sly!  Looks like a fun day!

Ginny- It's sort of chilly and drizzly here too.  I hope you have a good run and a good book or movie.

D- Enjoy the weekend!

My plan calls for my first 15 mile LR tomorrow.  My friend pointed out that there's a local trail 25K tomorrow.  Hmm.  Run with friends and aid stations through lovely forested trails, or plod along sadly by myself on the bike path?  I'll do the 25K.  It's actually a race that I've always wanted to do, but honestly I haven't been enough of a trail runner, plus I've always had other races earlier in the fall that I was aiming for.  This summer and fall I have gotten up onto the trails more, and feel more confident that I can handle the hills after my run up McColloch last week.

There will be no racing on my run tomorrow.  Honestly with the hills it will be right at the edge of my current fitness.  But I'm also thinking that it could be a really nice run.  And automatic PR that I could always aim to beat next year. Smile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

URD (unscheduled rain day).  10 miles tomorrow, although I should do more to beat those nasty Running Amoks.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - Running Amoks?

Z - that trail run sounds like fun.  Good luck.

PAD and Sly - great job on your trail race.

D - I hope the hurricane stays out to sea.

Buelligan - ouch! Heal quickly.

AFM:  I was enjoying a misty 6 mile run and almost home when I tripped over a bump or hole in the street that I couldn't see thanks to my wet foggy glasses. I crashed hard, slicing both palms and smashing my knee and shoulder.  I called Jim to pick me up because I wasn't sure I could walk the rest of the way. It looks like someone took a cheese grater to my shoulder and I may have gravel in the knee, though given the blood and the lump in the kneecap, it's hard to tell. I really hope I didn't do any real damage. This is the worst fall I've taken while running.

Zelanie

Yikes, Ginny! I hope you don't have any damage other than the scrapes after you've rested up.

Jerry was probably talking about his playoff rivals. It's that time of year again.

Zelanie

Double post