Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins Don't Need To Impress Anyone, But It Happens Anyway! (Read 28 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

First off let's look at ITB issues. Click here for info on rehab. Sign up and they will send you a link to a 2 page upload immediately. In the following weeks they send follow up e-mails with more exercises and info. It's a pretty good at home program. I know I quoted part of their program that recommended faster running, but that was after a brief protocol of therapy. I didn't mean for it to come across that faster running cures ITB.

Good luck to our racers!

Zelanie - nice photos - love the big smile!

As for me - I ran a 6 mile tempo for a total of 8.2 miles. I finally figured out the success to longer tempo runs. I was doing well on shorter runs but once I got to 5 miles I was tanking big time. I usually run before I eat and what I noticed was my first couple of miles were fine. After that the pace dropped by 30 seconds and I couldn't get my legs to turn over faster. I thought about it and compared it to a car when is starving for fuel - it will run but if you step on the gas it doesn't go anywhere. So for the past 2 tempo runs I have had a small carb meal and the pace is more even, faster, and can be sustained longer. In fact after discovering this last week I decided to bump up my speed just to see if the theory was correct. I wound up running an average of 12 seconds per mile faster! I don't know if I  would have asked this on the forum if my tempo problem would have been resolved - obviously the first answer would be to slow the pace down. Sometimes you just have to think out your own problems and figure out what your training issues are. In essence you are your own coach. So I would say most runs can be done on an empty stomach but you need fuel for performance/quality runs.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Gus and Penguins.  Thanks for sharing the tempo experience.

Looks like we will push our LR to tomorrow as  the wind is howling here.  Of course we could just run in 1 direction!!!

Good luck Saturday racers.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - You've been getting in some strong workouts.  Are you running the full 6 at tempo pace, or are you doing cruise intervals?  Anyway, I hope it's not interfering with your karaoke.

Jerry - I slept in.  I'm just supposed to run 1 1/2 hours today.  I hope it's not to bad out.  I've got nowhere to move my run to...lol

AFM - I got nothin.  I'm looking forward to reading a few race reports.  I saw pre-race photos for Mitch this morning.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Morning guys!

Planned to wake up at 5am for my LR but slept in. 6+M done in light drizzle. Feeling good. Yday, I felt a little discomfort on my left inner calf area. Sort of like the same discomfort I got when I had my SS more than a year half ago. Maybe my leg can't do 20M race on that elixir.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin - It's better to figure that stuff out now.  I hope you find something that works for you.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Busy day ahead.  DD is running at the Mt. SAC Invitational, a huge XC meet out here. We run around to different parts of the course to cheer, so I probably won't run today. I have a 10k tomorrow but I'm not hoping to PR because of my tired legs. We'll see how it goes. Have a good day.

tracilynn

Gus, thanks for that ITB link.  Im gonna check that out.   Nice tempo.  Glad you figured out the fueling thing.  its nice when you make little discoveries,like that!

Jerry, youre funny Smile Take a sail with you to help you on the way back into the wind. I dont like running in wind either.  I will take rain or cold over wind any day.

Bin, hope the pain is nothing.  Hope dd is better too

Awood, nice to sleep in sometimes.  Im looking forward to mitch's update too.  We have a gorgeous crisp day here, perfect racing conditions.

I have taken the past 4 days off running to rest my rt shin splint and I have noticed my Rt ITBand is real tight and a little cranky.  WTF.  Im not even running.  Grrrr  Since I havent been running I havent been stretching or rolling, I guess i need to stretch n roll every day regardless.  My running body hates me.Angry

Im still gonna run today though.  Dammit.

Taking the 3 little ones to a Halloween party later too.  Sugar OD  to follow

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jack - I'm not buyin' the tired legs thing...lol  Have a great race, but I'm not going to be surprised if you PR.

Traci - 3 kids and a Halloween party?  You're so brave.  Good luck.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Zelanie

Morning, folks!  I am going to head out for a LR after WW today.

After reading some of the workouts that you guys are posting, I was thinking that probably just doing long, slow runs isn't enough.  I have been running them as progressions, and that's been good, but I'm thinking maybe I should at least throw in some MP miles or something.  So I am going to try that today and see what happens.

Gustav- I'm glad you were able to think outside the box and find something that works for you!  One of the threads on the main forum was about how to adapt your tempo pace for runs longer than 20 minutes or so, on the though that we can't really maintain sub-LT pace for the amount of time that some of the longer tempos require.  Have you played around with this at all?

Jerry- Suck it up, buttercup. Wink  Just kidding, I'd imagine that wind in the "windy city" can get pretty intense!

Awood- Morning!  Any weather reports for your marathon up yet?

Bin - Hope you caught that calf thing in time!

Jack- Give em hell tomorrow!

Traci- I did the same thing when I took 3 days off after my blah 5K.  I didn't do my exercises or roll that whole time.  My next run was the social run that Thursday, and my piriformis was so tight I literally could not move my legs fast enough to keep up with the back of the group!  I was good after a warm up, but still!  Hope you have fun at the party!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Just wanted to add that the small carb meal I had was a slice of whole wheat bread and a spoon full of raw honey the first day and yesterday I ate a pack of Belvita breakfast biscuits.

Just got back from an 11 mile long run.

Awood - I start with a 1 mile warm up and then run the 6 miles straight thru then run some cool down mileage. The "tempo pace" is run by feel. I think the word tempo can be thrown around arbitrarily - I know I have done it. Right now I am following a Gustafied Higdon Advanced 5K plan. I took out what he calls tempo and replaced it with hill work outs. What I like are what he calls "Fast" miles - I interpret that as tempo. I also like doing the fast miles the day before the long run - I didn't think I would but I do. One thing I have noticed about tempo miles is that it covers a broad range of training - be it lactate, stamina, getting used to faster paces, etc. I feel there is a lot of over lap and what is trained depends on where in the tempo pace range you run and for how long.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Zelanie - no I have not done that. I will have to look up that thread. Although running can be considered simple - just put one foot in front of the other - there is a whole science to going faster and running faster longer.

Zelanie

Gustav- I found the thread here.  The tempo discussion is on page 2 I think.  Thanks for the explanation.  I am not very good at running by feel myself, but it sounds like you have it down!  I also think that running a LR on tired legs is a good idea, although usually I'm too wimpy to do it.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi from the race! If you're bored, you can watch on the Internet. I don't know the link but google Mt.SAC Invitational.  DD is running in race #68.

Awood: my legs ARE tired! Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I saw Mitch finished!  I'll let him tell ya about it.  Congrats Mitch!

Zel - I really need to quit checking the weather.  One website says one thing, the other says the opposite.  12 hours later, they switch and it's like they are checking each others website and then just putting up what they saw on the other.  There is ZERO consistency.  It's going to be somewhere between 30 and 54 degrees, and somewhere between solid clouds and clear skies, and somewhere between zero percent chance of rain to 100% chance of rain, sleet, snow and typhoon.  The winds should be somewhere between zero and 100 MPH.  My personal prediction is cloudy with a chance of meatballs.  UGH!!!

Gustav - True.  I think it does depend on who's book you read...lol  Even Daniels has a "tempo" pace, but he also has a table that recommends alternate tempo paces for different distances.

Jack - I believe that they are tired, but I'll be curious to see if you let that slow you down.  Good luck to your daughter today.  She has complete strangers cheering for her.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost