Beginners and Beyond

I'm throwing out my Training Schedule (Read 339 times)

eatrunlivehappy

mom/superwoman

I've been running for a couple months now and am running my first marathon april 2013.  I started a scheduled training plan  two weeks ago and I'm just not feeling it.  So I'm throwing it out! 

Running for me is fun, a get away from life, an escape if you will.  I don't want it turning into something I feel I MUST do.  I will have a long run once a week, a strength training day once a week, but I plan on running whatever I feel like turning the week.

I usually run 6 days a week when I'm not following a plan so that's what I will average.

I just want to listen to my body, push myself, and have fun! 

Wish me Luck!

Young mother cooking, eating, and running for both mental and physical health.  And I'm not as serious as that makes me sound :) www.eatrunlivehappy.com

happylily

Good luck!

What do you think your weekly mileage will average to in the coming weeks? Weekly mileage will have a big impact on how your marathon goes. I'm not talking about speed, but about being able to run most of it or walking the last 6 miles. Why don't you keep your plan not too far from you and just tweek it as you go? I always do that myself... I'll change the order of some runs, add a mile or two on good days and run less on days I feel tired or have less time to run. I can't imagine entering something like a marathon, for the first time, whitout some sort of a plan to guide me. Now, after 9 marathons, I would do it. But for my first 3 or 4... no way! You are brave, that's all I can say. :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Jess runs for bacon

Good luck!

What do you think your weekly mileage will average to in the coming weeks? Weekly mileage will have a big impact on how your marathon goes. I'm not talking about speed, but about being able to run most of it or walking the last 6 miles. Why don't you keep your plan not too far from you and just tweek it as you go? I always do that myself... I'll change the order of some runs, add a mile or two on good days and run less on days I feel tired or have less time to run. I can't imagine entering something like a marathon, for the first time, whitout some sort of a plan to guide me. Now, after 9 marathons, I would do it. But for my first 3 or 4... no way! You are brave, that's all I can say. :-)

Seconded. I have a plan to follow. If I'm not feeling it, it's ok. I do like completing a workout though and checking it off, gives me a sense of accomplishment. But I'm a schedule lover.

I also can't run 6 days a week. I need my rest days! 4 days for me.. I'll cross train when I feel like it Smile

ETA forgot to say good luck!!!

runmomto3boys

Good luck to you! 

MrNamtor

Hey don't give us this hippy dippy stuff.

I remember RM23BZ when she was training for her marathon. Oh, I'm just a mommy, I don't think I have the same drive and attitude as these amazon warriors here on the forum who eat road dirt for breakfast, I'm just hoping to finish blahblah.

Then after 7 months of running she runs some ridiculous time that some people don't ever do even after a decade. So i don't believe people (especially women) when they come on here acting really casual about their training. And DON'T come back here with "oh, btw I won my AG and finished in 2:54."

eatrunlivehappy

mom/superwoman

HAHA well MrNamtor I hope that happens with me! I just tend to run love when I don't have a plan. My weekly runs are anywhere from 3 miles to 6 miles and I plan on going up from there.  My long runs are usually 10 and above. 

Young mother cooking, eating, and running for both mental and physical health.  And I'm not as serious as that makes me sound :) www.eatrunlivehappy.com

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow, couldn't do it and wouldn't like it. Cool thing is, what works for me doesn't have to, and probably won't, work for you. My only suggestion would be to at least guide your training by some of the information that's out there, even if you don't do specific workouts. Good luck.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

runmomto3boys

I remember RM23BZ when she was training for her marathon. Oh, I'm just a mommy, I don't think I have the same drive and attitude as these amazon warriors here on the forum who eat road dirt for breakfast, I'm just hoping to finish blahblah.

Then after 7 months of running she runs some ridiculous time that some people don't ever do even after a decade. So i don't believe people (especially women) when they come on here acting really casual about their training. And DON'T come back here with "oh, btw I won my AG and finished in 2:54."

OMG.  That is funny.   Big grin   You are sweet, though, and while I was happy with the race, I'm no superstar.  But thank you!

Nevrgivup

Yeah, RM2B also doesn't run anything less than 80 mpw. Big difference. Good luck with your training. As long as you get your miles in each week, I don't see a problem with not having a plan. I always train without a plan, though I do make my own plans up. I have a specified mileage goal and stick to it week by week. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Shakedown Street

keep us posted!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Docket_Rocket

Yes, but she was doing a modified Pfitz so it was not like she was not following any plan.  And she ran 80mpw.

OP, I would keep the plan nearby and use it as a guide so that you try to hit the miles, the LR, etc., with some modifications.  Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jane

I'd say as long as you have say a weekly and LR mileage idea for a good build have fun.

Never run, if you want to never run, don't start because you'll never stop.

Mmmmm...beer

Well, you know I'm all for it Smile Best of luck with your non-plan! 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

eatrunlivehappy

mom/superwoman

Right, I mean of course I'm going to train for my future runs but I'm just not going to follow a set schedule.  I plan on building up my weekly milage and set goals along the way.

I posted this at RW and they were all over me about not following a schedule.  I guess they took it as I wasn't going to train at all or something.  I'm not trying to put down anyone but I'm not sure I like the vibe over there. 

Docket_Rocket

Sounds good!

My recommendation was only to keep the plans close so you can brainstorm with them when you decide your next week or your next run.  Like what does Hal Higdon/Pfitz, etc. recommends on a week like this.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page