Beginners and Beyond

Week 48 Penguins say "Let them eat cake!!" (11/26-12/1) (Read 8 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Can't believe I'm already putting a December date in the title!!  Today is National Cake Day, which I guess is a clap back to all the pie everyone ate over the Thanksgiving holiday.  We didn't have any pie, come to think of it.  Just cheesecake, cookies, bars, and rice krispie treats.  I had a nice time at my folks, though it was a very busy trip.  It seems like we only see my folks when there's an EVENT.  Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, my sister's wedding ... oh well.

My proposal abstract is due today, and the seminar I'm hosting is this afternoon.  Better get to work!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Abstract submitted.  No clue when I'm supposed to hear whether or not my proposal has been selected to be a university submission, so tomorrow I'll start working on the full proposal.  Fun times.

GinnyinPA

HM - good luck with your proposal. No cake for me today. I'm still trying to work off all the carbs I ate on Thursday.

RD for me, which is good since my legs need a break. Also, it's raining again. Yesterday was 50 and sunny, today winter has returned.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  I have been in court all day today. I have 9 miles later and I hate Mondays, but cake might help, lol.

HopesMom, good luck with your proposal!

Ginny, enjoy the rest day.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Seminar, done.  It wasn't as well attended as I'd like, only 10-12 people, but at least I thought it was interesting.  Now clearly I need to get a condensed version of the talk and go directly contact people based on their research interests.  Le sigh ...

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I got my yoga done this morning, as well as my biking.  It's getting colder out there!  My REI fleece jacket seemed to hold up quite well today, and I have a beanie under my helmet that keeps my ears warm.  Gloves, of course, and my scarf around my neck.  I thought about a neck gaiter which would also shield my face a bit, but turns out I can't handle something that close to my eyes.  Oh well.  Of course, it's still in the low 40's ... don't know how much cold I can handle before wimping out.  Guess I'll find out!  Which reminds me, I need to charge up my headlight ...

GinnyinPA

HM  did you get wind with the colder air? We're supposed to get up to 40, but with 20 mph winds, the windchill is in the 20s, which makes a difference. Nice job getting it done.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and 7 and hoping less work stress.

HopesMom, enjoy the cold weather. Smile

Ginny, hi!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

HM  did you get wind with the colder air? We're supposed to get up to 40, but with 20 mph winds, the windchill is in the 20s, which makes a difference. Nice job getting it done.

It was windy yesterday, but I didn't notice much this morning.  I kind of forgot about the possibility of wind and wind chill ... duh!

Singer who runs a smidge

So for whatever reason (masochism?) I enjoyed my brisk bike ride this morning.  I might enjoy the ride out less, when the sun is down, but getting out and riding this morning was lovely.  Also did yoga this morning, and all's right with the world.

So here's your dose of weird for the day ... I got a letter from the Georgia Division of Family and Children's Services, saying they had a particular girl in their keeping and they were looking to place her in a foster home.  I was identified as a family member/committed individual who might foster this girl, and I'm supposed to call them and let them know if I'm interested.

Um, what?

This girl was born in 2004.  I left Georgia in 2000, went to Washington, and then moved to Virginia in 2002.  I'm not sure how on earth I could be connected to this child.

Fixing to make the phone call to clear things up, I'll keep you posted!  But yeah, DH and I are not fostering a child.  It would just be bad for everyone. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and 11 miles with on and off 10K intervals (too complicated for me to even explain, lol).

HopesMom, maybe you are a long distance relative?  So weird.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

No news about Georgia girl -- called and left a message, and they're supposed to get back within 3 days.  I don't even see how I can be a long distance relative, as all my family are in NC, and none of even the way extended family have ever lived in Georgia.  I'm guessing it's like the phone calls I got a couple of times while I lived in Georgia, from folks saying they were getting the band back together and wanted me in on it, or asking if my mother owned a bar.  Clearly there was more than one of me there back then.

My busy week continues -- yoga done, but no biking, as I have seminar this afternoon and chorus tonight.  Plus it's darned cold!  Might bike tomorrow, though, if it doesn't rain.

All is aligned for my new tech to start December 10th.  Woo-hoo!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Our cold front arrived for a few hours so I ran in 46F this morning.  Working from home, making this day even better.  7 done, Pilates tonight.

HopesMom, enjoy all you have today and yay on the tech start.  Hoping you at least get an answer as to what the hell is going on in GA, lol.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - that is definitely odd. I hope you get answers.

D - nice cool weather for your run today. Enjoy Pilates.

Our oven is broken and the car needs a new battery. This is going to be an expensive month, not even counting Christmas.