Beginners and Beyond

Do you run or race? (Read 84 times)

beer run

I am new to the group and just wondering what everyones preference is and what your favorite distance is.

MothAudio

I run for fun, health and competition but my primary focus was to prepare to race. 15k. Welcome to the group.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

happylily

First, I run to be healthy and strong. Second, I run for competition. But I have to say that 80% of my running comes in the form of training for races. I also find most of it fun. So I guess I should pick all the options?

EDIT: Favorite distance in training: 10 miles. In racing: 26.2 miles (which doesn't mean that it's my best. I just like it)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

First, I run to be healthy and strong. Second, I run for competition. But I have to say that 80% of my running comes in the form of training for races. I also find most of it fun.

That is an excellent way to put it!  I agree with it all and in that exact order.

hog4life

I put a little of both. If my training goes well to support racing, then I try to race. But if the running God's say it's not in the cards to race I'll run. At either instance though, I like to push myself for the given day.

LRB

Hmm, I have never really thought of my favorite training run distance but since lily brought it up I would have to say 7 miles since I run it so often.

My favorite race distance has always been the 5k, although it is not all that pleasant during the race but afterwards I feel incredible.

GinnyinPA

Mostly I run for fun, because it feels good, and because I like challenging myself to get better.  I race a few times a year because it's fun, it feels good and I like challenging myself.  I haven't run that many races, so I don't really have a favorite distance - though probably the 15k to HM distance.  Favorite for training is 6-8 miles - comfortable and easy, but long enough that I feel like I've really worked out.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I run for my mental health and so I can eat like a starved hog.  My favorite run is 9 miles before work , but I also look forward to 13-14 on Saturday morning.

I have only raced once or twice a year since I started running.  If there were no more races, it would not affect my miles.

Runner with a riding problem.

tracilynn

I started running for health but it became fun so I guess I run for health and fun but it would not let me choose those 2.  

My favorite distance to run is 5 miles.

~~~~~~~

Traci

I train with races as goals, but would still run even if there weren't races.

Favorite race distance is thirteen point one.

onemile

I train with races as goals, but would still run even if there weren't races.

Favorite race distance is thirteen point one.

This.

Docket_Rocket

My favorite distance is the marathon.

I don't know if I can ever PR again, yet I like training for a goal race (or races for fun, whatever).  Otherwise, I would find reasons not to go outside when (insert whichever life or weather event) happens.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I train daily so I can race. My favorite race distance is the mile, on the track, not a road mile, but I've been racing ultras the last year or so because I find them fun and the atmosphere is like a big, friendly, family get together.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mmmmm...beer

+1 to running for health and fitness.  But if I'm at a race, I'm racing.  I don't think I could pay for a race and run it easy, just not in my nature. 

I don't know if I have a favorite distance yet, I do like the half, long enough to be challenging, but doesn't wipe me out like a marathon.  5Ks are great too, more pain, but even less recovery. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

From the Internet.

I love racing, but I'm also really enjoying running just to run right now, so I guess both. And I'd also still run even if there weren't races.

I haven't raced a wide enough variety of distances to pick a favorite yet - I did really like 10K, it's painful like a 5K by the end and since it's longer I feel like more of a badass racing it, haha. For training, probably 6-8ish miles - long enough to feel like I actually did something, but short enough that I don't feel guilty cramming it into a (longish) lunch break :P