Beginners and Beyond

Active.com (Read 156 times)

Robert31320

Team TJ

Do any of you use Active to locate races in your area?  Since it has been "upgraded", I can't seem to figure out how to narrow down the search results for races to those in my area.  I just got 16,151 results and the first one listed was over 1,000 miles away.  Any info on how to make this thing useful again would be greatly appreciated.

Running for TJ because he can't.

#artbydmcbride

Nope, I can't make it work in my area.  Through trial and error I've found local sources.

Runners run

LRB

Hmm, the emails they send me usually have my area already locked in...although I did get a recent one but I haven't checked it yet.  I will have to see.

delicate flower

I never use them to find races.  I use runningintheusa.com.

<3

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I had to reset my default city as it changed up at the top and wasn't where I live!  Once I did that it gave me races locally. Now if I used the broad search function it gave me a lot that weren't close. Not sure what happened to yours?

Marjorie

RSX

I hate Active.com. I hate the spam that they bombard me with. I can't block them in case I run a race via that web site. I am more likely to send a check in the mail than pay their handling fees if an option. Other sites don't bother me as much as they don't send as much crap.

Jess runs for bacon

I use RW race finder. I hate active in general.

B-Plus

I will never forgive them for charging that membership fee witregale registration. Or was that a different outfit?

Robert31320

Team TJ

Thanks, I'll try the other mentioned routes.  Active was all I had used other than the local Fleet Feet Sports.

Docket_Rocket

I don't understand the new active.com and worse, Chrome will not work with it, so I have to do it on Safari.  Sorry I'm of no help.

I do get the emails with my area locked in.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Robert31320

Team TJ

I tried updating my city at the top and now I get 163,516 activities.  Great upgrade, Active.

RSX

In MA Coolrunning covers our area great. Maybe it is a Northeast web site as when I have looked at other states like NJ, I couldn't find much. I would think that asking your LRS store what they recommend would work well.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh I don't like it! Didn't realized it changed til this post and I just checked it out...

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Resident Historian

I strongly dislike active.com (both as an RD and a runner) because of the exorbitant fees they charge.  I'll always mail in an entry if I can.  Too many times use of Active is required by the races - understandable if a race fills very quickly.  However, active.com totally screwed up Chicago Marathon registration this year, and have had other major fuck-ups too.

Most areas or states have some good local race calendars.  I find runningintheusa or other "national" listings miss a lot of local races.

Good examples:

runmichigan.com

runmt.com (Montana)

Florida Race Place (flraceplace.com)

runwashington.com/calendar.htm (DC and area - a particularly good calendar)

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

LRB

Most areas or states have some good local race calendars.  I find runningintheusa or other "national" listings miss a lot of local races.

Good examples:

runmichigan.com

runmt.com (Montana)

Florida Race Place (flraceplace.com)

runwashington.com/calendar.htm (DC and area - a particularly good calendar)

+1 to runmichigan, if there is an event here, it most likely on RM.  Every now and again there will be one or two that are not but those are usually the first year events or upstarts.

The one exception to that is the Grand Rapids Marathon, who for whatever reason, was not listed there in 2011.  I actually found it on the runners world site two weeks out, and ran my first half marathon there.