Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins - Is It Cold Enough For You? (Read 30 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Mornig Penguins!

That's that annoying question people ash when it gets real cold. But here's a fact - Mars is 78 million miles further from the sun than we are. There were places in the US that were colder than areas on the surface of Mars.

Another fact - I ran 7 miles in 7 degree with a feels like of -10 last night! I was actually toasty warm and would say I overdressed even though I only had 3 layers on. Actually my butt was dragging all day at work and I thought for sure with the tiredness and cold temps that the couch and I would be come close friends - not so!

Jack - concerning your PF and Achillies issues - they might be caused by tight calf muscles. If you think about it the plantar fascia and achillies are just extensions of the calf. I remember you had massages on your calfs to get the knots out.  It may be time for a massage and some good foot and calf stretching. There are good dynamic and static stretches out there. Just remember for static stretches to warm up and hold the stretch for 5 minutes - the five minutes can be brokeI down into 4 seperate minute and a half stretches in succession where you stretch then release for a couple seconds and repeat.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Gus and Pengs.  Hope to get in a short run outside after the dentist.  Should be warm enough.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Not cold enough for me.  Send me some more.  7 recovery miles tonight.

Stay warm!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

3.2 miles for me yesterday after work.   Not a bad temp at all, 43 degrees with a 'feels like' of 41.  Wind made it feel a bit chillier.  Nice run/walk though, through the Zoo area and also went on the paths at the Japanese Tea Garden to enjoy the view there.   Today will probably do a run around the university campus. It's warmed up here a bit in San Antonio.  44 degrees this morning when I woke up and will be a high of 57 today.  Also raining here too...and not that pleasant rain, either, but that dreary, cold stuff, yuk.

Congrats on even getting out there in that weather, Gustav!

Dentist...don't remind me, Jerry...I need to make an appointment for a routine exam.

I'm the opposite, Damaris...not warm enough for me.  Maybe I should move to Miami, I much prefer the type of weather you have all year round, even with the humidity.  I'd rather have that than ANY temperature below 60.

Oh, folks, by the way...I was counting up my log miles.   From October 5, when I posted my goal about reaching 45,000 lifetime miles by my  60th birthday on Feb 10, 2014, I had 260 miles to go from them.  Since Oct 5, I have done 220 miles.   So 40 miles to go between now and my birthday.  Even with my low weekly mileage - I do about 15 - 18 miles a week these days since because of my stupid arthritis I can't do that high weekly mileage I used to do before - I should be able to make it before my birthday.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  Yesterday, I got a chance to work an extra weight watchers meeting after school, which I took, but it meant that I didn't get out the door for my run until almost 8.  Boo!  I was tempted to skip it, but I still got in 9.5.  It was actually pretty pleasant outside, about 46 degrees and more of a mist than actual rain most of the time.

Today my plan calls for 5 x 2min30sec at between 3K - 5K race pace, but the group track workout is 400-800-400-800-400 at Interval pace.  Close enough!  So I will go to that and hopefully have some people to run with.

Gustav- Glad you had a good run in those cold temps!  I say that qualifies for the more miles than degrees club!

Jerry- Good luck at the dentist.  Hope it has warmed up a bit for you.

D- How are the kitties?

Scotty- Way to go on keeping up with your goal!  You are so close!

Docket_Rocket

Mel, thanks for asking.  Trixie appears to be like nothing happened (except she threw up last night but I think it was hairballs), but Daisy is slowly recovering.  I can now shove 1/2 can of critical food down her throat, I'm an expert now!  Her numbers are improving but not fast enough, but we don't worry as I remember Trixie took 2 weeks to start a noticeable recovery and Daisy is at Week 1.5.

Scotty, we hardly ever get below 80F, so add 20 degrees to your request and move over.  I frankly hate it.  I cannot breathe 10 months out of the year.  It is too fucking humid.  Days like 100F and 90% humidity make me realize Miami is not for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Damaris- Good news!  It's good that you have seen Trixie's improvement to help not worry so much about Daisy.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Gus: Thanks for the tip. I think I am going for a massage next week and I have been doing the stair step stretch for my calf(s). I'm also golf balling it a few times a day.

Scotty: Nice pic!

D: Good news about the cats. Smile

Zel: Your miles are adding up! When is the next HM (or is it time for a full?)?

I got some new shoes yesterday so I will go for a few miles in them when I get home. I am also going to try a new insert (recommended by Scotty) and those should show up in a few days.  Cursed PF...

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Jack - that's good! Don't forget the hamstrings also need some stretching. I'm also a firm believer in foot massage Especially after a run. We run the heck out of our feet and then massage, foam roll and  stick everything else. I like to massage my feet where I can really get my thumbs in there. Also the Stick works really well - especially the one with the red bead that sticks out in the middle.

Zelanie

Jack- I'm thinking 10 miler in March, HM April, full in October. I have never been able to bring my base from an earlier HM into a new HM training cycle, so I am looking forward to seeing what that is like this time around.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: You might want to try the Ryan Hall 10 week HM plan. It helped me get a 4 minute PR both times I used it and the long run is 12 miles, I think. There is some speed work that I did on the track.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Quick check-in....did get my swim in last night. Was in the pool for about 25 minutes. I'm getting better at breathing while swimming. I zoned out and forgot to count laps though. Oh well.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Gustav - good job on the run in the cold.  I've been too warm walking in this cold, but haven't tried to run in it.  Fortunately, we warm up very soon.

Jerry - enjoy your run this afternoon.

Damaris - sorry about the heat.  Enjoy your run anyway.  I'm glad the kitties are doing better.

Scotty - good job on the lifetime miles.

Z - do you like running in the dark?  I don't think I could run that far at night around here as I'd have to be running the farm roads, and jumping into a ditch every time a car passes by is a bit more uncertain in the dark.  In town there are uneven sidewalks, sometimes made of brick, which wouldn't be safe either.

Jack -  I hope the massage, new shoes and new inserts work their magic.

Kristin - good job doing the swim, despite your busy afternoon/evening.  How does the foot feel with all the walking?

AFM:  not a running day.  I will probably get on the bike for a while.  Tomorrow is supposed to be up to 32, so I may be able to run outside.  Hurray.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good news about your kitties, Damaris.

Hope the new shoes and the inserts work well for you, Jack!  Cursed PF!  And what Gustav said.  My podiatrist told me to routinely stretch my calves and hamstrings, cuz they can be contributors to PF if they are too 'tight'.

Good luck with your full in October, Zelanie.  However, doesn't that mean you will have to do some of your long runs in summer, the hottest part of the year?  I know here in Texas that's why a lot of my fellow runners choose a marathon in early Spring, so they don't have to train for it over the hot Texas summer.

Breathing while swimming is a good thing, Kristin.  Let's hope you continue to breathe!

Happy bike ride, Ginny!  Wow, all the way up to 32!   How you folks deal with that 'real winter' stuff amazes me.  I've lived in South Texas so long now I've forgotten what real winter is like.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt