Beginners and Beyond

Week 4 Penguins are giving away free hugs!! (01/19-01/25) (Read 7 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National Hug Day, so go find yourself a huggee and be a hugger!!  DH and I only kissed good-bye this morning, because it was darned cold in the garage and neither of us wanted to take our hands out of our jacket pockets to hug!

I had a very full weekend, with a chorus holiday party on Saturday, installation of a new pastor on Sunday (our old one retired, so we moved up the co-pastor to head pastor), a chorus performance on Sunday, a CPAP doc appointment on Monday (I am the poster child for CPAP therapy), plus grocery shopping, laundry, addressing the envelopes for my folks' 50th wedding anniversary party in a couple of weeks, and baking an apple cake that refused to come out of the pan, but tastes good anyway.  Oh well.

Today I have to finish up some paper revisions, I have a massage scheduled for 11:30, I am still on my own in the lab, and I have a lead/bari sectional tonight.  Yeah, it's that kind of week.

Didn't bike because it's below freezing out (and will be most of the day), but I did weights this morning.  The crick in my back will appreciate the massage!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I tripped and fell yesterday inside my own house (on the vinyl planks that will go into the dining room, so I skinned the same knee I've skinned twice in the last 4 months and bruised the shin. Sigh.

I have 8 with hill sprints tonight. We got a dusting again as we did yesterday.

HopesMom, great job on the weights. Hoping you get a hug from hubby tonight, hopefully inside the warm house.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - sounds like fun times, aside from the back issue. Enjoy your massage!

D - sorry you're hurt. I hope you are able to run.

I had a blood draw to do today and for some reason I woke up at 5:00 after going to sleep around 1:30. The good part of that was I didn't have to wait at the lab. I stopped on the way home and bought fast food breakfast and then couldn't run because it upset my stomach. I've been nodding off over the computer ever since. So now I'm going to have a light lunch and see if I can get my run in this afternoon, after it warms up. That's assuming I don't fall asleep instead. It's supposed to be a speed workout, so I've been procrastinating.

Singer who runs a smidge

I got my paper revisions done, which I had been procrastinating on.  One thing down!!

The massage was awesome, BTW.  Though I still have a bit of a crick in my back. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Hallo!!  RD today, as I spent my weights time stuffing envelopes with invitations to my folks' anniversary party, and planning what I'm making for the SuperBowl.  Although the cookbook perusal was time wasted, because I remembered I have to make a cheesecake, and do it this weekend, so I can stick it in the freezer, because I have an extra chorus practice next Saturday.  I'll have time next Saturday to make bread for communion, but not to make other stuff.  Oh well!

Though I'm going to have to brave the cold and bike, because there's a section of road that has been closed, and I need to find out if it's still closed.  When it's closed, I have to shift over and drive down a busy annoying road, but I have to shift over before I get to the closed part, so I don't know if it's still closed.  And the local municipality is TERRIBLE about posting road closures, so there's no real way to find out except to go there myself and see.  Since I don't ride on Thursdays, I'll have to bundle up and do it Friday.

GinnyinPA

Are you having a Super Bowl party? Do you usually?

I have 5 recovery miles this afternoon.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon! I have 5 miles tonight.

HopesMom, please share your SB recipes here!

Ginny, enjoy the 5.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I don't host the SB party, some friends of ours do.  We just go over to their house -- they make pecan-crusted chicken, and their son usually smokes ribs or wings, sometimes salmon.  Then some other friends bring chili, or veggies, or cookies.  I almost always make a cheesecake.  This year I think I'll try to recreate my lemon-blueberry cheesecake.  It's a basic New York style cheesecake (I use the recipe from this book), but I add the zest and juice of a lemon, and then make a fresh blueberry compote to go on top.

Skipped weights this morning to steam veggies for lunch and finish up the last couple of invitations.  It occurred to me that we should probably invite Dad's brother and his family ...

Docket_Rocket

Damn it. I'm hungry now. Looks delicious!

I have 7 miles tonight. My shoulder feels much better today.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Hiya, folks!  I got an extra 20 minutes of sleep on my first Sleep In Friday (yes, I invented this myself), so I ended up with just over 6 hours of sleep according to my FitBit.  Well, it's better than 5.5, which I got the night before.  I swear, work just messes up everything!  Anyway, no weights because sleeping in takes away my weights time.  However, it was (finally) warm enough to bike today, so I biked in.  And actually remembered how!

Lots of plans for the weekend, including house cleaning, bread baking, cheesecake concocting, books, laundry, lunch with friends on Sunday, etc.  Oh, and sleeping in on Saturday!! 

Docket_Rocket

Evening! Today was my Friday off but we had a shit ton of things to do. ServPro arrived at 9am and then we went to notarize our documents for the closing on the Miami townhouse Monday, then ship that, went to see Bad Boys 2, then ran 6.

HopesMom, yay for extra sleep.

Damaris

Fundraising Page