Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Gusto 5K, 10K and 15K (Read 15 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 46th race of 2015 and my third race of 3 races done for the weekend of Sep 19 - 20, 2015. After having done the Zero Prostate 5K at 8 a.m on Sep 19, and the Alamo Beer 8K on Sep 19 at 6:40 pm, I did this event on Sunday morning at 7 a.m. The Gusto series races, done by Carrera Races, are events to help people train for the upcoming San Antonio Marathon and Half Marathon. Those people not training for one of those events - like me -  can simply choose to do any of the events they'd like to do without doing the whole series.  I did the 5K event  and ended up finishing in 35:01, and first in my age group (60-69) as I was the only one IN my age group, lol.  I might have finished a bit  under 35 minutes but I was 'in my own little world" and went running right past the 5K turn-around point, with my friend, Lana, who was biking the course to keep a check on the runners, shouting at me to turn around, which I finally did at not too far past the point.  It was funny; I just had to laugh at myself.  I guess I was a little brain-dead after 3 weekend events.

BEFORE THE RACE

Held at Martin Luther King park in San Antonio, a nice park with shaded, paved trails. Part of San Antonio's green-way system of trails, with various trails connecting with each other, so runners, walkers, and cyclists can go a long long ways on these trails if they so desire.  7 a.m. start time for the 10K and 15K, and we 5K folks started shortly after that; so with the early start I was at the park around 6:20 a.m. - still dark - and wandered around getting some photos with my 'don't like the dark" camera.

photo 001_zpsnlwo0uus.jpg

photo 002_zpsndqj8xgi.jpg

These two are wearing the tech tees participants got for this event.

photo 003_zpsuc1sepgp.jpg

photo 004_zpspjyng3nq.jpg

photo 005_zpsrouoyj1x.jpg

Race Director and Carrera Races co-owner Virginia is on the left.  I've done lots of her events and we have become friends.

photo 006_zpsx1xt4oha.jpg

Took this for my friend Ceci of iaapweb, as this guy is wearing a shirt from one of her races, Day of the Dead 5K.

photo 007_zpsvrplbmtx.jpg

photo 008_zpsz8sjtncw.jpg

"Yes, I AM awake! My eyes are wide open!" 

photo 009_zpsoxwm3ld6.jpg

photo 010_zpspjmivt50.jpg

"Patty Cake, Patty Cake..."  ....actually, a pre-race warm up for those who wanted to participate

photo 011_zpsisoqt03j.jpg

Our Music Man....whose identity is being protected...

photo 014_zpsdckglyml.jpg

Team RWB (Red White and Blue) is everywhere!  Go Team!  A veteran's organization, of which I am also a member.

photo 015_zpsg6jlg11x.jpg

photo 016_zpsy03pkdjk.jpg

photo 018_zpsorqvgfis.jpg

iaapweb.com - who did the timing, race results, etc. -  making sure the timing and start/finish line is ready to go.

photo 019_zpsdi5dg4jb.jpg

photo 020_zpsy5vjomtu.jpg

My speedy pal, Bernadette, who does just as many races - sometimes more - in a year that I do...but she actually RACES all her events.  It always amazes me she does so many events, places in just about all of them, and doesn't get injured actually racing that many.

photo 021_zpsif2ipz7b.jpg

ON THE COURSE

All the events were out-and-back.  The trails in MLK Park are pretty flat - at least it was for we 5K folks - with maybe some very small occasional inclines along the way.  My legs appreciated this after doing two events before this one.  As we ran under shaded trees in various places and it was still early, my camera seemed to have a problem deciding if it was night-time or day-time; as I had it set on 'auto' it would flash sometimes, at other times not;  consequently, some of the on-course photos did not focus great; you can still make them out - somewhat - but apologies for the quality.  Maybe my camera was tired too, for its 3rd event.

photo 022_zpsdmucqmin.jpg

photo 023_zpsn0ctowpi.jpg

photo 027_zpssdonpdep.jpg

photo 028_zpsp6inaxwy.jpg

photo 030_zps2yf3fuym.jpg

photo 032_zpspe8ku8bk.jpg

photo 033_zpsssaqydvm.jpg

photo 034_zpssffdtd26.jpg

photo 037_zps8m1jdpha.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Carrera Races - like the Alamo Beer series of races - really does have nice stuff after their event.  Today there was cold beer from Freetail Brewery and Pedernales, two really good local area breweries, breakfast tacos, all kinds of baked goods, and Zoe's Kitchen was even giving out some nice 'cooler bags" - which I missed out on cuz I stupidly waited too long to get one as I was wandering around, oh well - and there were all kinds of various chips, cookies, etc., and vendors were there too, with their items at discount prices. 

photo 038_zpsvecvvpcr.jpg

photo 039_zpsdt3pj9du.jpg

photo 040_zpsyfcw0pci.jpg

Pedernales brewery area

photo 044_zpscuv3n6hw.jpg

A cooler full of Freetail Brewery products, served up by this gentleman

photo 047_zpspgyebbtf.jpg

Oh yeah...beer and breakfast taco at  8 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

photo 041_zpsoc64je15.jpg

photo 050_zpsahctbuk6.jpg

photo 066_zpscestnd0q.jpg

Run Wild Sports was there; store owned by my friend, Catherine.  Yes, Cat, your guys were working! 

photo 061_zps3uvthh8x.jpg

photo 062_zpsojwgegiz.jpg

photo 042_zpsydks2x0y.jpg

photo 043_zps84rxjufe.jpg

photo 045_zps7gw6aknq.jpg

photo 046_zpsc7etagn4.jpg

photo 048_zpsw0omqscg.jpg

photo 049_zpsut6ombh2.jpg

photo 051_zpstiffbqro.jpg

I had a nice chat with this gentleman who is also a veteran.  I think he's with his granddaughter... and granddog.   If I remember correctly, I think they are somehow related to race director Virginia.

photo 052_zpshtdkzke5.jpg

photo 053_zpslpivdbi9.jpg

photo 054_zpsue2qas28.jpg

photo 055_zpsruzrkfom.jpg

photo 056_zpsjfvjzlkb.jpg

photo 057_zpsvgnipxxt.jpg

photo 058_zpswpukkjtp.jpg

photo 059_zpsd4nbncuk.jpg

photo 060_zpsz0ypl9m7.jpg

This young man did the 5K - finishing WAY before me, lol - and got first in his age group.  I believe his dad got first in his age group too, or was the overall first masters finisher.

photo 063_zps4aglq6yc.jpg

photo 064_zpsewqzf6xd.jpg

photo 065_zpsry6rkkvi.jpg

Happy medal finishers. Bernadette go first in her age group in the 5K .

photo 067_zps8gwct3ck.jpg

My fellow Team RWB member got a medal

photo 068_zpssy5lheq1.jpg

These folks are sitting in front of one of those nice Zoe's bags....I was tempted to pick it up and run with it...but I was just too darn tired...

photo 069_zpsyk8btpbi.jpg

Hey, buddy..my eyes are up here! 

photo 070_zpsmg1l7vim.jpg

photo 071_zpsxblzz8gd.jpg

photo 072_zpsj68agtro.jpg

The iaapweb.com crew for today....including my 'guardian angel', Lana, who made sure I didn't get too far past the 5K turn-around point. Thanks, Lana, for saving my Old Man Legs!

photo 073_zpscybewhgv.jpg

EPILOG

Love doing Carrera Races events - and just HATE it when Carrera and Alamo Beer events are sometimes scheduled on the same day, cuz then I just want to do both of them, lol.  Nice medals for the age group placers and overall winners.  Nice tech tees to participants.  Definitely would recommend Carrera Races events to my fellow runners, you do get your money's worth.  Much thanks, of course, to all the sponsors, volunteers, vendors, organizers, law enforcement, etc., that made this one happen for we participants.

First thing I did after getting home from this one was...take a long nap!  My mind keeps telling me "You[re not that old, you still can do 3 events in a weekend"...but after I do that, my old body keeps telling me "Idiot!"    The nap helped.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Hard to believe as hot as it is down there that there are that many races and runners every week. You missed a couple of spots on your shirt. Smile

LRB

It's any wonder your picture shooting finger hasn't worn off. lol

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

You must know more people than God.  Nice pics as usual.

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

You must know more people than God.  Nice pics as usual.

scottydawg knows more people than Chuck Norris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

scottydawg knows more people than Chuck Norris

lol

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt