Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Dream Run 5K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2061%20Dream%205K

BEFORE THE START

This was my 61st race of 2016.  The Dream Run 5K and Kids Run helps raise funds to find a cure for childhood cancers through support of Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer.  Held on Nov 6, 2016 in San Antonio at Eilan, a mixed-use community of luxury apartments shoppes, restaurants, business offices, etc. .  This was a fairly smaller San Antonio event with maybe around 100 runners and walkers.  Start time was 9 a.m. for the Kids Run and 9:30 a.m. for the 5K.  So with the turning back of the clock on Sunday morning, we participants got  to sleep in a whole lot of extra time.  I arrived with about 45 minutes to go to start time.

As soon as I got out of the car, it began pouring, and there was a big clap of thunder.  Uh oh.   People huddled under tents and on covered terraces of some of the Eilan buildings, waiting to see if there would be a postponement.  Well, long as we were waiting, I went ahead and got a few photos of the group I was huddling with and the main pavilion area of Eilan

photo 010_zpsija5x250.jpg

My friend Jessica (far left, front) and friends with this sign for her son who is currently battling cancer (prayers and good thoughts please).

photo 001_zps9z9beo4q.jpg

Jessica invited me into the photo - someone with another camera took that photo - and while I was standing there, I suddenly felt something at my right hip - and there was a small hound-dog climbing me, lol.  His owner was like, 'what the heck', but I knew exactly what he was after - and I just started laughing -  as I had my dog treats in that hip pocket.  Those hound dogs sure have a nose on them, lol, he went right for them, knowing right where they were with that sense of smell of his!  And so I met 'Winston" and his family.

photo 002_zpsczhezz9r.jpg

This little doggie, with his family, also got a treat.

photo 004_zps7e4jvvz2.jpg

More people in this area with me, waiting for the rain to let up...

photo 005_zpsojw8jqhy.jpg

photo 006_zpseynnbjai.jpg

The iaapweb.com crew - race management company, course set up, timing, results - with my speedy friend Bernadette

photo 007_zpssampch7o.jpg

photo 008_zpsa2omp9n0.jpg

My friends Bernadette and Karen

photo 009_zpsqfi6eyuu.jpg

Two speedy ladies - Bernadette and Tanya.  The both placed.  If I remember correctly, Tanya was overall 5K female winner.

photo 011_zpsr8a7brnj.jpg

The rain went from pouring to drizzle and there was no lightning, so decision was made to continue. Kids run went off at 9 without a hitch, and then the 5K folks lined up and off we went.

ON THE COURSE

The course was a two-loop one that had a couple of hills along the way - the biggest being a downhill after Mile 1 and then repeating that on the way to the finish in the second lap - and the roads were quite wet, as you can see, so had to be careful with the footing in some spots.  However, with the rain that had moved in, the temp had dropped a bit, so it was actually quite comfortable degree-wise running out there.  By the second lap - at least for my second lap anyway, the rain had stopped altogether and there was just a slight breeze blowing.  I ended up 1st in my age group of 60 - 69, with a finish time of 35:14.  And with these hills and the 5-mile race I had done on Nov 6, the day before, my legs were feeling both races a bit after I finished.  Still, I felt pretty good the whole way for this one and was happy with my results.

Wet, wet streets

photo 012_zpsi3dfxjog.jpg

Still drizzling on us a bit at this point, this is a bit past the 1-Mile mark

photo 013_zpsxy35arar.jpg

photo 014_zpsdiqh02md.jpg

photo 015_zpsqsrvtfvl.jpg

photo 016_zpsqgym9cab.jpg

This is the long downhill on the course photo 017_zpsezdr9lov.jpg

As I began my 2nd loop...this had just finished his 2nd loop, was done, and was the overall winner.  Here is is with my friend, Paul, who was the bike pacer.

photo 018_zpshhcawcbt.jpg

On my second loop

photo 019_zps6anbk7vn.jpg

photo 020_zps1a0pegft.jpg

photo 021_zpskb5da7ru.jpg

photo 022_zpsair10mq2.jpg

Thank you, volunteer, for standing out here for us this whole time.

photo 023_zpszd5hdxd1.jpg

photo 024_zpsgazqvw3q.jpg

I ended up running with and near this young lady for most of the last part of the course.

photo 025_zpsuatqovwq.jpg

photo 026_zpsc18y0slw.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Me and the young lady and her daughters.  Her much more speedy daughters finished way ahead of the two of us.

photo 027_zpsrparasw4.jpg

photo 028_zpswthjbfca.jpg

Me with our MC...super nice guy.

photo 031_zpswhfjypq1.jpg

photo 032_zpsi8mwnuuz.jpg

iaapweb.com folks

photo 033_zpstwwobepl.jpg

While I was with the iaapweb folks, got a photo of this lady finishing

photo 034_zpsumvm2uag.jpg

More 'Happy Finishers"...medal winners, supporters, etc.

photo 029_zpshmtffoz5.jpg

photo 030_zps1600aaw8.jpg

photo 035_zpsibdi3zcy.jpg

photo 036_zps3aznummn.jpg

photo 037_zpszthh6wog.jpg

photo 038_zps1vdlpzfa.jpg

photo 039_zpsbw7tixtd.jpg

photo 040_zpsayawa5qv.jpg

photo 041_zpsf7muwsan.jpg

photo 042_zps9aq21r25.jpg

photo 043_zpswjgfejgh.jpg

photo 044_zpsiginizue.jpg

photo 045_zpsjjfefong.jpg

photo 046_zpsgkkon0vv.jpg

photo 047_zpsdok1zupw.jpg

photo 048_zpszaji8vfu.jpg

photo 052_zpsom33sr5f.jpg

photo 053_zpsyxlfnqxa.jpg

photo 057_zpsvqvntcyi.jpg

Trying to crack Karen up, after the race, like I usually do at races we do together...she's staying strong.....

photo 049_zpsdv4uwyqo.jpg

Uh oh...she's starting to crack...

photo 050_zpskwkzaxdq.jpg

There she goes!

photo 051_zpsckzs7xo9.jpg

All the medal winners together...with some friends.....I love you, you love me...we're one happy family... 

photo 054_zps2ugit9hw.jpg

photo 055_zpseni4vvxc.jpg

EPILOGUE

Small event, but a very good one.  Would hope this one really grows in the future as it is for such a good cause.  Also, the San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon/Half is approaching, so lots of runners on a Sunday during November are out doing their long runs.  The organizers of this one might kick around the idea of moving this one a little farther away from the Rock n Roll Marathon date, which may result in larger participation for the event. Start time of 9:30 a.m. seems kind of late to me for a race start - most of our local events start around 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. - but it all worked out nicely for the participants that were there, especially as the weather - temperature wise, anyway - cooperated.  Water and some snacks and goodies post-race, and the awards ceremony were done right on time and really efficiently too, just zipped right through all the categories. Would that all races I do were as efficient as this one in the medal giving.  Sometimes when you are an old guy, it can be a long wait before they get to you.      Overall, a very nice and fun little event, with a good course, lots of good people, and a great cause.  I would do this one again.   Mucho thanks to all the folks who made this one happen for us:  volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, Elan residents - thanks for your patience! - organizers, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Buelligan

I'm starting to get the hots for Bernadette.  Seems like I've known her for years.