Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Girls On The Run 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2031%20Girls%20On%20The%20Run%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 31st race of 2017 was the Girls On The Run(GOTR) 5K held at Comanche Park in San Antonio.  GOTR (www.gotrsanantonio.org) “inspires girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.” They have an annual 5K which, this year, had about 800 registered, so quite a nice turn-out.  Race start time was 9:30 am, which allowed me to sleep in a bit, but that was probably a mistake, lol, as parking was crazy by the time I got there. Found my spot and, since I had pre-registered and already picked up my race packet, all I had to do was get my timing chip and then I had a bit of time to wander around and get some pre-start photos.

Me and friend Mitch, co-owner of iRun Texas running store in San Antonio.  Plug for my friend:  Go buy shoes at his store, his staff will take good care of you. 

photo 003_zps738rhq5p.jpg

Our music and sound man

photo 006_zpsw0jpgcfj.jpg

MC giving us instructions, etc

photo 012_zps4n5prn1c.jpg

My friend Trinnie with her team

photo 014_zpsyn5jglv3.jpg

This guy did a beautiful job of singing the National Anthem, unaccompanied by music.  Impressive voice.

photo 015_zpstxaqkz2p.jpg

Others

photo 001_zps1nnsskiz.jpg

photo 002_zps6jvfvqh5.jpg

photo 004_zpsradtbx1f.jpg

photo 005_zpscnckdbzz.jpg

photo 007_zpsunzfwmeg.jpg

photo 008_zpsofqdbbed.jpg

photo 010_zpsozuuzw1a.jpg

photo 011_zpsp0tmgprs.jpg

Getting ready to start.....in the crowd....

photo 017_zpsnes6fmne.jpg

photo 018_zpsbyrvm6ep.jpg

photo 019_zpst7moomra.jpg

photo 020_zpsl2oihuly.jpg

And we are off....

ON THE COURSE

The course was an out-and-back on paved park trails, a mix of cement and asphalt trails.  Comanche Park is great because lots of their trail areas are shaded, which was helpful on this warm May day, with temps near 70 by 9:30 a.m., but thankfully the humidity was not yet too high, so that helped, but you could still feel it a bit, especially on the way back, as the last ¼ mile to the finish pretty much had no shade.  Even so, I felt pretty comfortable running out there, and it was a nicely designed course. I found out that I had finished 2nd in my 60 – 65 age group, sweet, with a chip time of 34:49.  Of course there were only three IN my age group, lol, so that helped.

Of course, with 800 participants – and mostly young ones – the trail got a bit crowded, and it was kind of difficult moving around people in some places and lots of times I had to come up a bit short as people passed in front of me, around me, stopped suddenly, etc.  After I finished and was sitting for a while, sipping my cold drink, I heard a guy behind me saying the very same thing, he had been "impeded a couple of times, etc.   Me not being a very shy person, lol, I turned around and asked him if he had done this one before and he said no, first time, he had a niece who was doing this one.   So I told him, well, you have to expect that at this event.  I’ve done this event several times in the past and so you just have to take everything in stride (no pun intended) and go in realizing this is a run for the young ladies, it is THEIR accomplishment in the GOTR program, THEIR 5K, not ours, and so with this event if you are an experienced runner who chooses to do this one, well, you just kick back, have some fun, enjoy the scenery, encourage and support the GOTR young ladies on, and keep your sense of humor about it all, and don’t let anything on the course upset you.  You just finish when you finish.  The guy laughed and said 'point taken..I need to come in with a new attitude next year."  After that we had a nice conversation about this-and-that and he turned out to be a pretty nice guy.   Funny how things work out sometimes.

photo 022_zpsoiryzzxi.jpg

photo 023_zpsauyqibxq.jpg

photo 025_zpse2256kfv.jpg

Over this bridge

photo 028_zpspihmdqvd.jpg

and across and past this stream...

photo 026_zpsr7117ner.jpg

My friends Jose and Minie greeted me at the turn-around point

photo 029_zpsw3oy7odf.jpg

photo 030_zpsfqjn53t3.jpg

Heading back to the finish

photo 031_zpsxj4jqkcm.jpg

photo 032_zpsulw4juuk.jpg

photo 033_zpsskltr3s3.jpg

Finished near my friend, Ronnie, here...nice iced towels handed out at the finish, sweet..

photo 036_zpssxk9xp0m.jpg

Ronnie needed a little nap after her finish, so I held her up.. 

photo 037_zpsrgsnyegf.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got a few photos and then went for the goodies.  Wasn’t all that hungry for the bagels, fruit, etc. and there were also post-race burritos, but I went right for that H-E-B Quench drink (similar to Gatorade) on ice, and that sure hit the spot after a bit of a warm run. Then I wandered around chatting with various people and getting some post-race photos.

Some of the post-race goodies

photo 038_zps04rmawhj.jpg

Happy finishers, supporters, et al...

photo 039_zpsl25nr7ww.jpg

photo 040_zpszsvzzciz.jpg

photo 041_zpscra0ze8v.jpg

This little girl cracked me up.  She told me "I crossed the mat thingy..so where's my medal?"   lol.

photo 042_zpspafsztxk.jpg

photo 043_zpsxtkcdefo.jpg

photo 044_zpsujlxsdns.jpg

photo 045_zpsxfyizusd.jpg

photo 046_zpsrhnybgas.jpg

photo 047_zps2j8e9ljz.jpg

photo 050_zpsnlxxhs33.jpg

photo 051_zpsb1k03bgv.jpg

photo 052_zpspeolug0u.jpg

photo 053_zps5q1yrewe.jpg

My friend told me this little darling is currently fighting cancer.  So I went to my car and got one of my shirts - a clean one - and gave it to her.  I told her it was a bit big for her, but I knew she would grow into it after she beat her cancer.  She is such a sweetie and I wish her all the best.

photo 054_zpseyez2ebp.jpg

photo 055_zpsbjnixurr.jpg

photo 056_zpsbekpo5am.jpg

photo 057_zpsx9bjf4w0.jpg

photo 058_zpsj5qaljwh.jpg

Yay, medal winners

photo 060_zpshg7tjhwm.jpg

photo 061_zpsfgz2aaru.jpg

photo 062_zpspm4ewpuk.jpg

photo 063_zpsf2yz2jpr.jpg

photo 065_zpsxarpe6c4.jpg

photo 066_zpsfemnhajv.jpg

photo 068_zpsaxquuu3j.jpg

My speedy friends Kristen and Erik.   Kristin was first overall female

photo 069_zps8alr7mql.jpg

The three ladies who do all the hard work to get this one to happen every year.

photo 070_zpsktg7s7zc.jpg

People from Street2Feet running program.  They have an annual race too, a really great one.

photo 067_zpsk5qtot3i.jpg

EPILOGUE

Kudos to Race Director Sally Seeker for getting a great event organized and having it grow so much this year.  Of course that is both good and bad.  Good because it is a popular event; bad because if it keeps growing, the park venues will be out and the race will have to be “taken to the streets”, which means more costs for the race for paid road closures, etc.  Maybe Sally has a friend who can talk to one of our local rich guys – like Bill G. at Haven for Hope – who might sponsor the road closures.  It could work, right? Well, whatever happens, this is a very fun event and always enjoy seeing the enthusiasm of these young runners just starting out.   Definitely a keeper on the race calendar.

Mucho thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for we participants…the RD, all volunteers, sponsors, vendors, park police who I saw out there keeping an eye on things to help us be safe, et al.  Thank you so much, we runners and walkers could not enjoy these events without what all of you do for us.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt