Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins Never Get <Censored>! (Read 278 times)

Unscheduled rest day for me. Sad Second time in two weeks! I'm not sure if it's stress or what, but I have not been feeling well and I do not feel comfortable going too far from home. I wish I could call in sick to work too. Thankfully if I keep the rest of my scheduled runs I should still be able to reach my goal of 45 miles for the month. That doesn't seem like much next to those of you that run 45 in a week, but this will be the most monthly miles ever for me.

I'm starting to be jealous of those of you with balmy winter temps! It seems warm here, but temps are in the 20s and it is icy and snowy and my running routes are much more technical than they used to be. I guess this is where a treadmill would come in handy.  We opted not to get a gym membership for now because it really does not fit in the budget. Maybe next year. The plus side of the technical runs is that it forces me to slow down, and it works different muscles! I'll be all set for trail running in the Spring. Smile

*waves* Hi Tori! Nice to see you again!

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone, finally over the head cold, or whatever it was that was dragging me down. Going to head out tonight for 3 or 4 with DW gets home before I have to go to work. Only 4 more nights then we are off for 11 days woohoo!!!! Finally can get back on track on increasing my weekly miles to get ready for my first half in Feb! can't wait.

Also have decided to start a blog come Jan 1st. I am going to start the Paleo diet as well as add some more strength training to my workouts. I am going to try and keep on online log of the progress I make over the course of next year and give my experience with the Paleo diet. I will post a link once I get it all going.

Hmmm... that's about all I have for now, be back later.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

SheCan

Thanks everyone!   I went ahead and got 7-1/2 miles, and am still waiting on DD to be ready to go.  And yes, she's past the prickly teen years (well 19 now) and is quite pleasant to spend time with.    

Tori, I know.  Then again, I don't have to watch the cartoons anymore as I'm between little kids & grandkids.

MNMickey- We were all beginners at one point.  Getting 45 miles in a month can be quite an accomplishment especially when the weather is not cooperating.  I'm lucky.  For me winters are quite nice usually and rarely obstruct my running.   Hopefully you'll feel well enough to make your goal, but otherwise, you'll have next month.  Building up those miles and endurance is an ongoing, sometimes slow process, but it does work, and it will happen for you.

JBlack-- glad to hear you're feeling better!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hello everyone, finally over the head cold, or whatever it was that was dragging me down. Going to head out tonight for 3 or 4 with DW gets home before I have to go to work. Only 4 more nights then we are off for 11 days woohoo!!!! Finally can get back on track on increasing my weekly miles to get ready for my first half in Feb! can't wait.

Also have decided to start a blog come Jan 1st. I am going to start the Paleo diet as well as add some more strength training to my workouts. I am going to try and keep on online log of the progress I make over the course of next year and give my experience with the Paleo diet. I will post a link once I get it all going.

Hmmm... that's about all I have for now, be back later.

JBJ: I am wondering why you want to go on the Paleo diet when you have made such incredible progress with what you have done so far. Have you hit a wall with your weight loss? What are your long term goals?  Also, good luck with your HM training. I am about ready to start training for my next one, as well.

Heading to the gym after work with my sil and hoping for 4 miles! Going to try to run a little faster tonight! I won't call it "speed work" but should be something different!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: I agree 100%!! We old guys need to stick together!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

37F and flurries.  Ended up with only 4.2 miles at 9:45.  Didn't want to hurt my RP  Big grin   !!!!

Dad on the run.

JBJ: I am wondering why you want to go on the Paleo diet when you have made such incredible progress with what you have done so far. Have you hit a wall with your weight loss? What are your long term goals?  Also, good luck with your HM training. I am about ready to start training for my next one, as well.

Honestly I have just read a lot of really good things about the paleo diet and reading the book it seems like a eating plan I can get on board with. I have lost a lot of weight counting calories and the such but I just don't feel like I am getting what I should be getting out of my food. The paleo seems to really focus itself around healthy foods without all the other crap that I usually find a way to fit into my diet. 

I am going to try it for 30 days and see how my body reacts to the change in foods that I am eating. If after 30 days I can't really tell that big of a difference between my usuall carb loaded foods then I will just go back to the way I have been doing things. But I really like the idea of eat more lose more, we will see though, we will see....

My long term goal is more in terms of weight loss/body fat %. I've never been a fit person. I've always had a gut and have never been remotely defined. I want to get down to around 12% body fat and given the amount of starchy sugary foods I eat that is never going to happen unless i do something, and I do a lot better if my diet tells me I can't have something than leaving it up to myself to say no. I want to rid myself of the sugar addiction and the paleo says it will do that.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

JBJ: Well said. That is very admirable.  I wish the best of luck to you and DW.

Hey penguins, still a sporadic poster here.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I haven't run in almost two weeks, life and a back problem but will get a short run in very soon.

I may be slow but I never quit.

Philliefan33

Brr!  I had a very cold run this afternoon. I checked the temp before I got changed and it said 51 degrees.  I dressed accordingly. About half a mile into my run I felt like maybe I should go backgot get gloves, but "nah, my hands will be warm before long".   About two miles in, I found it strange that I was still cold.   By the three mile mark, I realized that I was underdressed and was just going to have to suck it up and get warm in the car on the way home.  The wind was brutal. I  finished my run and checked the "feels like"temp.......43 degrees.  That's not too cold to run, but I dress much differently for 43 than I do for 51.   

6 miles done. Now I'm cozied up in my fleece pants and big sweatshirt Smile

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Brr!  I had a very cold run this afternoon. I checked the temp before I got changed and it said 51 degrees.  I dressed accordingly. About half a mile into my run I felt like maybe I should go backgot get gloves, but "nah, my hands will be warm before long".   About two miles in, I found it strange that I was still cold.   By the three mile mark, I realized that I was underdressed and was just going to have to suck it up and get warm in the car on the way home.  The wind was brutal. I  finished my run and checked the "feels like"temp.......43 degrees.  That's not too cold to run, but I dress much differently for 43 than I do for 51.   

6 miles done. Now I'm cozied up in my fleece pants and big sweatshirt Smile

I know, the temps dropped!  I was in the middle of a vetting and it was a remarkable drop.  Great job for finishing!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Sorry...I'm going to do a half-arse job of personals...lol  I was doing good this morning on page one.  Now, I'm toast.

Scotty - I sell specialty alloys to the steel, power generation, mining, glass and pulp and paper industries.  They all include process that would eat carbon steel alive.  So, we either supply the materials they need, or just build what they need out of the materials that we specialize in.  Very interesting job.

Jblack - Good to see you back on Nike+.  I've had a couple of runs lost, but I do like the updates.

What's up Doc?  Sorry, just always wanted to say that.

AFM - I got in 7.25 miles tonight with some strides at the end.  My easy pace was almost dead on what the tables say it should be it.  That was awesome.  It was 39 degrees and kept switching from rain to snow.  WHOA!!!  Anyway, I double checked my running journal and it appears that my streak is currently at 25 days and 141.4 miles.  I need some new shoes, but I just finished up my Christmas shopping.  Now, I have to buy drinks for a group of customers and pay for my hotel room and wait to get reimbursed.  Shoes are going to have to wait until the first of the year.  I think I'll buy two pair.

Speaking of shoes.  I really like this pair of Saucony that they had me try on at the LRS, but the heel drop is considerably less than my current running shoes.  If I switch back and forth between those, and a new pair of the shoes I'm currently wearing will that cause any issues?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

From the Internet.

I'm going to read all of your posts but I, too, am beat - won't get around to more than a couple personals.

Damaris - glad you found your kitty! My girls are all indoor cats too, I would have a bit of a meltdown if one of them escaped.

2.6 miles for me today. It probably would have been smart to take a couple more rest days but I've been stressed lately and I really needed it - it was either that or retail therapy, which I can't afford to do right now, haha. Mostly used the run as a bunch of form drills/form experiments today - my "trail" is .33 miles long, so for each lap I'd pick one aspect of my form to focus on. Landing softly under my center of gravity (more or less), slightly more forefoot strike, higher turnover, more bend in the knee, etc. It was a pretty good workout, I can feel a bit of muscle soreness, shin still feels OK. TBH I wouldn't even mind if I aggravated the shin at this point, maybe it will make the problem more obvious for my appointment Thursday. I've never been so excited to see a doctor - I just want to be fixed!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Awood - what's the drop for each shoe? You can always slowly rotate them in especially if you are running the streak. You could run them after your runs starting with a mile and adding on. Sometimes you can just wear them with out any issues.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!