Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photo: Friends of 9-1-1 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO   Report and Photo: Friends of 9-1-1 5K

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:     http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2038%20Friends%20of%209-1-1%205K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well;  sorry about that – I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.

BEFORE MY START

Friends of 9-1-1 5K was my 38th race of 2017.  Held at Sunset Station on June 4, this race supported all the people that are there for us when we need to make a 9-1-1 call.  Race start time was 7 a.m., so I arrived pretty early at the race site and wandered around taking some pre-start photos.

Welcome to historic Sunset Station in San Antonio, which is just down from the Alamodome, the previous home of the San Antonio Spurs of the NBA.

They are ready for 9-1-1 calls...

My friend, Daisy, with her two 'sisters' and 'brother'..   love that little one's expression...you can tell she is just like my friend, Daisy, lol.

Our timekeeper

With my friend, Bernadette, who did the same race Saturday too, as I did

National Anthem and RD John Purnell

In the start crowd...

ON THE COURSE

We started on the road in front of Sunset Station and did an out-and-back course that including going up and across the historic Hays Street Bridge – a pedestrian bridge that crosses over a series of railroad tracks – down the other side of the bridge, turn around at the bottom and back the way we came to the finish. With the exception of the bridge, which has a pretty nice climb to get to the top, the course was pretty flat.  I ended up with a finish time of 34:36.  Not sure where I was in my age group, awards for this one were given only to the top 3 overall male and female finishers.  This being my 2nd race of the weekend and having done some hills in my Saturday 5K too, I was a bit slower today than my Saturday 5K but it’s all good, I was satisfied with what I got.   Plus, I probably dinged my finish time a bit, lol, when I took an extra minute on my walk break at Hays Street Bridge to get in a couple more photos.

On Hays Street Bridge

Heading back the other way across the bridge..

After that downhill - that was an uphill going out - it was nonstop back to the finish line.

AFTER MY FINISH

I did a bit of a cool-down walk, drank some water – what, where’s the beer?  Oh yeah, Sunday - no beer sold till after 10 am…stupid blue laws – and then went here-and-there getting photos of some of the happy finishers, supporters, volunteers, et al…

Everyone got finisher medals...

Me and the guy on the left ran in together for about the last half mile.  He beat me in by 15 seconds.

These ladies kept getting photo-bombed, lol.

My friend Tonya was first overall female

Me with friend, Bernadette. Our 2nd race of the weekend done.

If you are an old guy like me...find two pretty ladies to take a photo with....I look great... 

Tank was the first dog in...and got his own private water bowl....plus treats from me...

With Race Director and my friend and fellow veteran, John Purnell

As I was heading to my car, I ran into friend and all-around-great-guy Officer B., who was out there on the course doing bike patrol for us.  Thank you for watching out for us!

EPILOGUE

I think this was the first time for this event – I may be mistaken – and it was organized very nicely.  Packet pickup the day before at the convention center downtown, also race day registration and packet pickup, very nicely thought out course – even with the Hays Street Bridge hills – pretty nice race shirt, lots of friendly people, etc.  Only thing I’d suggest changing is move the water right near the finish line so participants can get that right away instead of having to go over to the pavilion to get it. You know we runners, we want everything our way, lol.  I would definitely do this one again, and would recommend it to other runners/walkers.

MUCHO thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for we participants, our RD Johnny Purnell, Athlete Guild for course set-up, timing, results, etc; all the volunteers, sponsors, our law enforcement bike pacer, etc., everyone who did packet pickup duties and were out there for we runners and walkers on race day for race day registration, water stop, course marshals, etc.   Without all of you, there would be no races for us. Thank you very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt