Beginners and Beyond

Week 13 Penguins make up their own holidays! (03/25-03-31) (Read 16 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

To my bemusement, I discovered that today is actually Make Up Your Own Holiday Day.  Um ... ok.

Anyway, I am back from contest weekend!  My quartet didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but we did about as well as I expected.  We had two newbies on stage, and another who hasn't competed in a quartet in 20 years, so it wasn't too surprising that nerves reared up and kind of took over.  So our breaths were in the wrong place, our energy was too low, our performance was cautious.  Eh, there's always next year.

Then after quartet contest, I ended up working backstage for the chorus contest, which was interesting.  I was in charge of cueing the choruses out of the warm-up room and onto the stage.  It was mostly fine, except for when the battery started to die on my headset, and I had visions of holding up the entire contest while I got a new headset!  Luckily I realized what was happening and exchanged headsets while one chorus was on stage, then got back to my place in time to cue the next chorus.

Awards was crazy, and I spent a lot of time getting criticized for how I did my job by people who have never, ever, done my job.  And since many of the criticisms came as a result of the lack of communication by my competition chair, I was pretty much furious and biting my tongue.  But I'd already decided to step down as Awards Coordinator for next year, because I don't need the stress and crap.  So hey, done is done.

Mostly I'm just glad this year is over.  Maybe in a week or two I can start thinking ahead, but for now I'm still just reacting.

But no rest for the weary.  I have until Friday to get everything together for my department's requests for a state grant.  And since some folks still haven't given me paperwork, even though the deadline was end of February ... 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - sorry the weekend didn't go well for you or your group. At least you got to hear a lot of good music.  Good luck with your grant proposal.

Rest day here. I ran 21 yesterday and my legs are definitely feeling it. I'm so glad to be starting taper, but freaking out a bit because it means I'm running Boston in 3 weeks.  Where did the time go?

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Rest day here. I ran 21 yesterday and my legs are definitely feeling it. I'm so glad to be starting taper, but freaking out a bit because it means I'm running Boston in 3 weeks.  Where did the time go?

I'm sure you'll be fine.  Just don't make my mistake and be too focused on the run to forget to absorb the experience.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Spent the whole morning and part of the afternoon migrating the PC at work to Windows 10. Considering it's always a clusterfuck, it worked pretty well.

I have 7 miles and maybe weights tonight.

HopesMom, sorry the contest didn't go as well as you expected and ugh, there is always a critic.

Ginny, enjoy the rest day and yes, 2018 is going by too fast.

Fred, hi.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Ginny, time always drags when you want it to go faster, and speeds when you want it to slow down!!

Howdy, Fred!

Docket, woo-hoo for a fairly smooth migration!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 8 with 3 @ HMP.

HopesMom, not sure I would call this smooth but it's not a Mac, so 4-8 hours is as smooth as you'll get I guess.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!!  Yoga was just not on today -- I made it through one sun salutation and that's it.  It felt good yesterday, all nice and stretchy.  Today it felt like everything was stiff and sore, not sure what's up with that.  Delayed tension, maybe?  Anyway, tomorrow will be better.  One last big thing to get done before the end of March, so I'm working on that.  I'm off Friday and Monday, so I've got three more days to get it done!

GinnyinPA

HM - are you going someplace for Easter weekend, or is it just part of the campus spring break?

D - enjoy your 8.  I have a similar workout, except with 600 m. intervals at 5k instead of HM pace.

Singer who runs a smidge

Neither nor.  I'm taking PTO because my parents are coming to visit.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yoga happened this morning, so that's all good.  I think I'm either fighting off a cold or allergies, though.  I don't feel bad, just slightly off.  Well, slightly more so than usual!  I'm not planning to do anything about it, though, unless it actually turns into something real.  I've secured myself a week's extension on my last big project, which is about half done, so that's all good.  Woo-hoo!

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I wish I could resume taking yoga classes, but the Y doesn't offer them at times convenient to me.  Even the weekend morning classes that start at 9:00 are too late.  I did learn a lot from the classes I took and incorporate some yoga into my post-run stretching.  I end every stretching session with a knees-wide child's pose.  It does wonders for my back.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I had another day in court that ended up being half a day, which is good for me.  7 and weights after work tonight.

HopesMom, yay for yoga.  Enjoy your Friday off.

Fred, yoga and Pilates help the back a lot.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I wish I could resume taking yoga classes, but the Y doesn't offer them at times convenient to me.  Even the weekend morning classes that start at 9:00 are too late.  I did learn a lot from the classes I took and incorporate some yoga into my post-run stretching.  I end every stretching session with a knees-wide child's pose.  It does wonders for my back.

I can't get to formal classes either.  I just designed my own routine, using videos, Google, and my Yoga Anatomy book.  I keep pondering adding new poses, but I'm lacking in strength, flexibility, and balance (which is why yoga in the first place!) so I'm leery of putting in something more difficult until I get a little more secure with what I'm doing now.  It's all good.

GinnyinPA

I have a couple of yoga videos - one that I like a lot but have done so often I'm bored with it and others that I don't much like, but do when I want a change. I also have a book aimed for older people. I've never taken a class. I'd like to, because there are a couple of poses I do that don't feel right, so are probably wrong. I think that's how I hurt my back last night - my pigeon pose felt pretty weird.